Whites TRX bullseye pin pointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Look what I got! It works as expected and has impressive depth.
1401265424_image.jpg

Comes with holster but I made a lanyard from a old home phone lead & heat shrink.

Looks great, good on whites for thinking of practical ideas like a lanyard loop, and brightly coloured end cap. Two things that should be on every pinpointer considering how easily they are lost. :)

TRX works well picks up most targets from the surface only problem is getting it turned on quick as the button is same colour as the case and flush with the case so when u rip it our while watching the ground you can't find the button it needs a dob of hot glue so you can find it.

Now iv come up with a good idea for the next TRX pinpointer' When it's pulled from the holster it should activate it to turn on and turn it back off when returned to the holster how about that whites! Yeah I know it's silly but it hard to improve on something they made so great. About the only complaint I have is that I'm still finding it difficult to turn it on without looking maybe there replacement shell should come with a button with a little nipple in the center, hot glue falls off after a few days.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
TRX works well picks up most targets from the surface only problem is getting it turned on quick as the button is same colour as the case and flush with the case so when u rip it our while watching the ground you can't find the button it needs a dob of hot glue so you can find it.

Yikes, sounds poorly designed in that perspective. Button should be raised or lower a bit so you can just feel for the button. Or even have a rough surface.

Got my new TRX today to replace the dead Nokta pinpointer, courtesy of Goldsearch Oz. It's a very nice unit, much thought has gone into the design of the TRX over the Pro-find and Propointer, and the performance from intial tests also shows it has significant depth abilties over the the other main players.

There were a few complaints about how flush the "on" button sits on the side of the unit, but personally I find falls directly under your thumb everytime you pick it up, so no issues there - certainly easier to find than the closely spaced buttons on the Pro-find. Another gripe with my other pinpointers has also been addressed, no fiddly small speaker holes to get jammed up with dirt or clay, the opening is quite large, and should be easy to keep clean, or to clean out.

One of the best features by far is being able to run both AA and 9v batteries, much easier on the pocket, and always have a plentiful supply of AA's around.

Thought has also gone into the holster, rather than being a cheap floppy units like supplied with other pinpointers, it has a stiff sheath that holds its form vs the frustrating times I have trying to find the opening on the others, especially in the dark. The rear of the holster has a belt strap secured by a snap lock button and velcro to hold it in place, no matter what width of belt you are using (no more feeding the belt through the holster). Finally, a lanyard loop is included at the top to secure your pinpointer to.

Provided is an adapter tray for the AA batteries, plus a spacer for the 9volt battery option. The lanyard loop is something that the other major manufacturers should have picked up on ages ago, a simple design addition that should be mandatory on all pinpointers - I already having mine tethered up and ready to go.

Performance wise on initial air testing, the pro-find gets about 7cm on a 50c coin, whilst the TRX gets 11cm on the same coin. Maximum depth on the Pro-find on any coin seems to be around the 7cm mark, whereas with the TRX, 6.5-7cm is the minimum distance on the smaller coins. Maximium depth for the TRX is right on the money at around 11-12cm.

Testing on a 0.34 gram nugget will only be achievable at 0.5cm on the Pro-find, the TRX gets 2cm. A 2.38 gram nugget gets 2.5cm on the Pro-find, whereas the TRX gets it at 6.5cm.

Please do remember this was done in my workshop, so it won't be 100% accurate, whereas in-ground testing will be more truthful.

If there was one criticism that I could make on the TRX, it's to do with the LED light. It is no where near as bright as found on the profind nor nokta pinpointers. It seems to magnify an internal LED vs the actual LED being protruding from the unit, so I am guessing it is set up like this due the outer casing being replaceable, and maybe for better waterproofing. I'll give it a run tonight to see if it bothers me, or I'll just run with a headlamp in future. :)

1408357554_img_20140818_170831.jpg

1408357576_img_20140818_170932.jpg

1408357607_img_20140818_170958.jpg

1408357632_img_20140818_171021.jpg

1408357657_img_20140818_171039.jpg

1408357683_img_20140818_171105.jpg

1408357711_img_20140818_171126.jpg

Been looking at getting a pin pointer in the near future so thanks for the review on the TRX, it seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Also just discovered something that is strangely not advocated in the manual, the TRX does indeed have adjustable sensitivity. It has four settings 1 being the lowest and four the strongest. Factory preset is 3, but it can false in this setting due to such high sensitivity, hence such good range on targets. This has been outlined in a you tube clip by another user.

Turn the pinpointer on, then re-press and hold the button till you get the two tone beep. Release the button again and re-press for 5 seconds to enter the sensitivity settings, keep holding the button down till you hear the desired sensitivity setting, then release to set (1 beep for lowest setting, 4 beeps for highest).:)

Hi, do you still have the dead Nokta pinpointer ?

Have stripped the Garrett and the ML Pro and X-pointer; but yet to get my hands on a Nokta or Whites..

Iv had my TRX a while now, and have used it a few times here in WA. What i can tell you is that from my initial backyard testing re interference with PI detectors is...it does cause some interference if its in the field of the coil. Small coils pose little problems, large coils, 16'-18" and it cannot be warn on the front of your person. If in the field of the coil while retrieving a target, it becomes annoying. Pull speaker jack out or unplug headphones and your good to go.

In ground testing was very good, small amount of falsing due to mineralization, but easily fixed by ratcheting/balancing. Not worthy of using for small nugget finding, this was still faster doing it the old fashion way. I keep it in the back pack of my modified ML Pro harness just in case i find a big one at depth.

I just bought one today after reading your review Goldpick, hopefully it will be here by the weekend so I can try and sneak out for an hour or 2 detecting over the weekend.

Hope you like it Pete, just remember to not run the sensitivity too high, or you will get some falsing from the soil in some areas, just need to play around with it a bit to see what suits. Sometimes I do run higher sensitivity in dry sand, to lock on to buried targets a bit quicker, but wind it back for normal park detecting.

AngerManagement said:
Hi, do you still have the dead Nokta pinpointer ?

Have stripped the Garrett and the ML Pro and X-pointer; but yet to get my hands on a Nokta or Whites..

Sorry, I must have missed this post. I still have the Nokta, and managed to get it working again, just not as good as it used to be. The sensitivity was all out of wack with it falsing all the time, so I had a play with what I assume is in internal pot for sensitivity adjustment, made it better, but not enough to want to use it again. May also have something to do with the actual coil part of the pinpointer, a fair bit of water was pooled in the detection head when I opened it up. :/

Goldpick said:
Sorry, I must have missed this post. I still have the Nokta, and managed to get it working again, just not as good as it used to be.

The sensitivity was all out of wack with it falsing all the time, so I had a play with what I assume is in internal pot for sensitivity adjustment, made it better, but not enough to want to use it again.

May also have something to do with the actual coil part of the pinpointer, a fair bit of water was pooled in the detection head when I opened it up. :/

See my PM....

Even more reason to see it, now that I am aware of what could be the initial cause...

However, like many things, if not dried out correctly (metho is not always the best) then things can go from; not so bad to bad and then BIN :eek:

Still looking for the '' perfect '' P/P. :p it can't be that hard ???. In '69 they put foot prints on the moon. still no decent P/P.
Ahhhh, the wonder of science and technology. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :8

I ended up using isoprophyl alcohol to clean it out, prior to that it didn't work at all. The main issue with the Nokta was sealing along the two halves of the casing especially around the LED, although it was completely my fault for getting it immersed that far up the detection head. Despite the cheaper build quality and lack of water resistance, it was still an enjoyable and reliable pinpointer to use under normal operating conditions.

There have been a few complaints out there about the TRX falsing on high sensitivity setting, but honestly there is no real need to go any higher than number three setting for general pinpointing, and still goes deeper than most other pinpointers. The other thing to note on the TRX is detection only occurs on the tip, not the sides like other pinpointers, something you have to get used to, but it does have its advantages in isolating separate targets in a hole.

Despite all the pinpointers out there on the market, most still have their advantages and disadvantages. Things like the LED on the TRX which is not as bright as others on the market, but may be the case for savings on the battery life, something I am willing to compromise for the sake of being able to run AA batteries vs expensive 9 volts. :)

So true... There is NO one size fits all...

Despite all the pinpointers out there on the market, most still have their advantages and disadvantages.

Things like the LED on the TRX which is not as bright as others on the market, but may be the case for savings on the battery life, something I am willing to compromise for the sake of being able to run AA batteries vs expensive 9 volts.

I do like the option of AA Vs 9V

Latest posts