maryborough finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi, just had 2 days in Maryborough using a 5000.

read Loamers "what to find on the goldfields" a heap of times and tried to put it into practice. followed the diggings and test holes up to the reefs, looked for flat spots. checked the layers and trees. Was really good to put it into practice. Thanks Loamer and everyone else who gave the info for us newbies.
I had the 5000 in fine gold mode, found shot gun pellets , bullets , tiny tiny bits of metal and an old axe head ( i think). Also a bit that i have no idea, looks like some kind of clip. No Gold though, i dont know if its me or what , but i just cant get a bit. Do i need to find more remote places? here are a few pics.
1401181885_20140527_140650_resized.jpg
1401181929_20140527_140655_resized.jpg
1401181960_20140527_140700_resized.jpg

Luck has a lot to do with it sometimes mate, and holding your tongue to the left ;)
Keep at it, if your getting them little shotty pellets your detecting ok. Your luck will change.

DD

Hey Kirkn, It looks like you just tipped out the contents of my find bag I get the same collection of odds and ends. Chin up mate if you are catching all that fine stuff you will have no problem when you wave the detector over a bit of gold. Its just a matter of time. :)

I reckon a training day puts newbys
Light years ahead of where they'd be in 12 months time :)
I've been with a few mates and associates
That do them !
Everyone I've been on bar the Minelab free one !
They've found their first bit ,
I know it's not garunteed
But if their teaching you about your detector
And how to read the ground and where to look
You'll have a massive leap forward !
And for such little outlay !
You could easily spend a grand on fuel
In 6 months trying !
Or bout 3 hundred
For a training day !
And then be finding fuel money
Frequently to fund the next trip out :)

thanks, yea i think a course would be a good idea, any ideas on the good ones? what do u reckon the clip piece i phot one is?

I think the guy getting three hundred a day for training has found his gold mine.. Imagine 10 guys at a time.. $3000 a day..Ye ha :)

Hi Kawman, was no were near $300, $85 with own detector, $120 with hire detector, you have to bring your lunch and car to get out to the bush was real go for a newby

kirkn said:
what do u reckon the clip piece i phot one is?

Pretty sure it's off an old fountain pen or biro. they were usually held in place by 2 pieces (plastic/metal) screwing together to hold it in place.
Hope that's what you're after,
Cheers Tom

Oh nice interesting little haul even if it's not gold.

Found one ....
1401267857_fountain_pen.jpg

thats it teemore, there were these weird plants that were out of place, dont know what they were, thought id swind over it , got a signal and it was in the roots,

GdayKirkn
just read your post
go to Maryborough on a fairly regular basis and you need to have perseverance
it is there but is not easy gold to get, that's my experience anyhow
having said that I would say that around 90% of the gold I have ever found was in Maryborough
so keep trying and swing low and alow
good luck

I have found gold where you can see rear house fences.
If you don't have one get john tullys map for the area.

Keep away from areas on the maps that have mines on
Them. Look for the shallow leads and miners holes no deeper
Than a foot or so.

Look for gravel and ironstone and or qaurtz in or on the
Ground and work around those areas.

In some areas the ground is strange eg deep holes followed
By really shallow leads then deep holes start again.

How long are you up that way for?

Hi im going maryborough on wednesday any tips on where to start looking for gold im new and still waiting on my maps and info to be deliverd if anyone could help that would be awesome i cant seem to find anything on google grrr lol :)

head to coilteck in Maryborough, heaps of books and info to be gained there :Y: ;)
woo hoo lol ]:D

Tigergirl said:
Hi im going maryborough on wednesday any tips on where to start looking for gold im new and still waiting on my maps and info to be deliverd if anyone could help that would be awesome i cant seem to find anything on google grrr lol :)
Tigergirl
Google Geovic and try the anonymous login. You can create your own maps. Play with the layers you can select. A few hours invested in learning the layers is well invested.
Good luck

Latest posts