Queensland (Qld) Legislation changes for small prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it possible to start a Petition to QLD Gov for a slight change to the new ridiculous laws of no pumps ( e.g. for pumping water for our sluices when creeks and streams are not flowing{most of the time in QLD}) or (blower motors e.g. for Dry Blower's for dry prospecting area's/ 90% of the state is dry 75% of the time) allowed by prospectors in Queensland.

The new law is difficult to understand when the BIG mining companies are allowed to do anything they bloody well want to, which is strange when nearly all small communities near Gold Fields rely heavily on tourist dollars from Prospectors and other people who visit these area's due to the gold.

I was talking with my local Member and he said at least 5000 signatures would give the petition the ammunition for the Government to treat it as a viable petition. The allowed signatures can be Prospectors and their families as well as any people in area's that get their money from gold prospectors or tourism in general. As well as anyone in general that would support the idea in itself.

So my question is, do people on P.A. think it is worth bucking the system (Large Mining Companies tend to push the smaller people like our selves around way to easily) and Pushing for our rights to prospect in a safe and respectful to nature way, please feel free to give all of your idea's to this and also can you tell me how many people are there that could maybe sign a petition for this, if we started one.

Cheers all and thank you for reading this, I know it is long but I really think we need to try and change what is happening,

Paul

Thankyou GB ill add you to the list of 2 names We have to start somewhere; Paul
Ps. 35 hits so far and only 2 names where did everyone go lol.

Solomon 009 said:
Thankyou GB ill add you to the list of 2 names We have to start somewhere; Paul
Ps. 35 hits so far and only 2 names where did everyone go lol.

I think it could be how you wrote it (one big sentence). To be honest I didn't read through the whole post the first time I opened it because it's a little difficult to read. Perhaps the post could benefit from being broken up a bit?

I would/will put my name down in a heart beat. But I'm a pesky Victorian so not sure if it'll help...

There's me and Mr. Piep. Also, once the petition is ready I'll be out there bringing attention to it and collecting signatures.

I think for the out-of-staters it's important to get behind this petition, and sign it, it will support the claim that current restrictive rules may be detrimental to interstate tourism.

(I don't even have a highbanker! :) )

I agree sometimes if you dont make yourself known as a recreate our needs get swept under the burocratic door

Add my name to that list.
I will also ask to put it in the fnq miners den.
That should get a few people to sign it.
There is a few of us up this way.

Thankyou all and yes If interstate miners will sign it would be advantageous, as people from all over Aussie we all travel chasing the good Yellow stuff, where ever it hides. Thx again Paul

Add me to the list.

I'm only running an electric bilge pump for my highbanker but apparently that tiny pump will destroy the environment. A lot of times I am recirculating the water I bring into the area in a large plastic tub because there is none in the area I am working in. I also process my concentrates at home that way.

These bureaucrats haven't seen a creek or river in full flood before, perhaps if they did they would want to legislate against floods and make them illegal too. :mad:

Taken as a copy of Fossicking rules and responsibilities directly from Fossicking in Queensland in Qld Government website

Permitted activities and materials

Your fossicking licence allows you to search for and collect fossicking materials using hand tools and for recreational, tourist and educational purposes only.

Permitted tools and extent of diggings

Fossicking rules and responsibilities

Permitted activities and materials

Your fossicking licence allows you to search for and collect fossicking materials using hand tools and for recreational, tourist and educational purposes only.

Permitted tools and extent of diggings

Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used. No machinery is permitted.

You can collect from the surface or by digging, but you are not permitted to dig below 2m of the natural ground surface of land or below 0.5m in streams. Overhangs and tunnels are not allowed.

On road reserves, no digging is permitted but collection from existing exposures is allowed.

Materials collected

You can collect gemstones, ornamental stones, mineral specimens, alluvial gold (including nuggets) and some fossil specimens, but not meteorites and fossils of vertebrate animals.

:) Changes we would like are:-

The use of all Sluices including H.bankers and water pumps for those as well as Air/vacuum pumps for dry mining by over turning the Legislation number 38 below :)

38 Use of machinery etc. prohibited
A person fossicking under a licence must not use machinery
or equipment (other than a hand tool) to fossick.
Maximum penalty400 penalty units.

Very good but I wouldn't abbreviate high-bankers with h.bankers, doing so leaves it open to interpretation.