Can you help me identify this stone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started fossicking with the family last year. we have been up and around the Bingara - Inverell area. we have a small collection of sapphires and and topaz. a couple of stones look as though they may be diamond. I am definitely not experienced enough to be sure though. can anyone help me identify this stone? is it a diamond or is it topaz?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
1399979538_dsc_0401_20140513210307610.jpg

Not sure but it sure does light up in the photo.

I had a bloke from work show me one years ago from Copeland dam.

He said drop it in a glass jar and if it bounces around heaps its a diamond. Not scientific I know but worth a try.

There are diamonds up that way so I would not be surprised. Let us know when you find out.

Cheers

Just don't hit it with a hammer. It may be 140 times tougher than a Sapphire at 9 on the Mohs scale, but they are still brittle I believe.

A scratch test would be something you have already tried given all those sapphires in the pic?

Some light up under uv light ... If it is an inverell diamond you need to find more. They are harder than most diamonds and you need to make special laps ( from said diamond/ diamonds) to be able to cut them . No quick and easy task... Keep looking for a couple more ..:)
Very nice find....

My brother lived at Bingara at one stage, definitely diamond around. Looks like one to me :D

Looks very very similar to the Copeton Diamonds that are on display at the Inverell tourist info centre. Does not look like a Zircon or Topaz to me, a Diamond tester is cheap and most jewellery stores will have 1 and test it for you. There are a lot of Diamonds in Bingara and this pretty much looks like the real deal, please get it tested and report back.

I was out at Bingara the other day too, keen to get back for another look around.

Looks like a diamond to me, a Gemologist should be able to ID it pretty quickly for you. Let use know what it is when you find out.

All the best

Col

Latest posts