⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

Took the captain coach out to some old workings that I came across when out searching a couple of days ago. Cleared a small patch and handed the SDC to the better half. She put it on the ground and literally pushed it forward about 6 before getting a signal. I couldnt believe it. Some times you can go out all day and not even hear a peep out of the machine. Talk about good luck. Anyway, after a bit of scratching, a nice little nugget popped out. Continued to work the area for about an hour and ended up with five little bits for just over 0.6g.
1537431411_2f2464d8-5a18-474c-9664-6c4fd73b0182.jpg

Can guarantee that Ill be reminded about who found the bigger pieces.

Cheers for now

Les

Hi folks,

Just another day at Quinns. 12 pieces, the bigger one went 5.5 gms. I had found a smaller couple then went round in circles to check the area. Got a couple more small ones. Now seeing which way the nuggets were flowing, I then swung up and down in that direction. Got back up to the area the nuggets were found and decided to check the area again on General instead of High Yield. Low and behold this one popped up screaming. :goldnugget:

Works out that when I went round in circles I didn't overlap my swing far enough. I had missed a section about 50 cm wide which resulted in missing these couple originally. 8.(

1537436994_20180920_173141-800x600.jpg

Moral to the story. Overlap the lanes and concentrate on what your doing.

A couple have to go into the Hcl for a swim.

Cheers :beer:

Doug

Hi Folks,

In June this year, my middle daughters partner spoke to me about the possibility of using some of my gold for a wedding ring. It was something that I had been thinking about anyway and was so pleased that he asked. We both agreed that it would have a special meaning and my daughter would love the gesture, thought and story behind the whole event. I could have used some of the nuggets that I found last year but decided to see if I could uncover enough gold this season to do the job. It would also provide a goal or challenge for the cooler months of winter. A decision was made to put away the 5000 for the year and focus on the SDC. The aim was to chase the smaller pieces on the old workings and eventually get enough together for a couple of rings. Melting down larger nuggets doesnt sit well with me but a bunch of small pieces thrown into a crucible gives the same result without the pain. Anyway, this afternoons bits got me over the line.
1537522302_ff987ae5-8313-4b4a-9bb0-88c0676f3e3b.jpg

And the final tally:
1537522399_0f30e56b-0b55-4306-a147-9e47d77e31c4.jpg

More than 150 bits so the average is below 0.1g per piece. The SDC has been a real small gold killer. Was lucky to work in a few areas that contained very little rubbish. All up, 7 pieces of shot, 3 small nails, a piece of foil and 165 pieces of gold. Time to start thinking about a bit of fishing now that the days are heating up.

Cheers for now

Les

Wally69 said:
For those that dont look at the treasure detecting threads....

From a recent trip to the Hill End gold, silver and treasure mines :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2362_155e5f12-b840-4b00-9f60-03b97a583b6a.jpg

Hill End she dont give up her gold easily so Awesome effort. Clealy with SDC looking at the bottom left speck! The two at the top are interesting and came from a different area to the water worn shiny ones?

Always good to come home with gold.

Cheers

RS

SC75 said:
kingswood said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...814_243852669636751_5468498171111931904_n.jpg

Nice little 2.99g :) Lovely and water worn.
I decided to put the Zed with the 19" coil over a pushed area. General/Normal and got a nice little warble.
Biggest nugget to date :)

Congrats on your biggest nugget to date kingswood :Y:
Nice one.
I always run in general/ difficult.
Running in norm is almost impossible where I swing.
Keep it up mate :Y:
Thanks mate :)
General/difficult is my usual setting too. Picked up a 0.3g with that setting today so it does work on the smaller stuff too.
General/normal was good on the pushed area as it was reasonably quiet ground.
I usually try normal...if its to loud, over to general difficult.
I think the 19" is quieter than the 14" in normal. I think!....

Rockhunter62 said:
Went for a bit of a swing down around Quinns below Meekatharra today and picked up these 3 nugs. Might go back tomorrow.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/7504/1537178970_20180917_155836-600x800.jpg
Mr Stone may have had a bad day when he drew up this map. :poop: If i had a few more beers the map might start to make sense. :beer: Most of the area is under tenement so had to go north east into the pending areas.

Cheers

Doug

Yes Doug that's typical of the maps in Doug Stone's book. The information page would have you believe that the maps have GPS coordinates. Very few have and most of the maps have very little in common with the roads, tracks, mines and terrain in the area. It's a very poor production for a book of that price :mad:

Latest posts