⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
That's terrible AF :lol:

Thanks tryhard and rockhunter.

Went back this morning and got the loose stuff I dug yesterday. Thought I'd break it up and pan it off. Clay = stupid idea :rolleyes:

So chucked small bits in a big plastic tub that I have and went over it all with the GM.

6 bits. Thinking what type of yacht I'll buy with the proceeds. Did Matchbox ever make yachts?? ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8209/1522551279_gold_3.jpg

Not Yachts but the did make some tiny battleships. :Y: ;)

S & D - This is more my style :D

1522562649_matchbox_boat.jpg

Thanks Syndyne. But I won't be keeping it up. Bigger fish to fry ( I hope :D )

The GM is amazing on small stuff - and probably on big stuff too - just a matter of getting the coil over it. It is basic, it only runs relatively shallow but it does have a learning curve to get the best out of it and a lot of those early internet videos don't do it justice.

These pieces are out of really red clay that the GPZ struggles on in Normal and the SDC only got 4 bits off the whole clay bank. The Z maybe got 30 bits, the GM has previously got about 5 and the last 2 days it has pulled another 16.

I used to just run the GM in Auto and trust the machine to run it as hot as conditions allow. Unfortunately with Australian ground I don't reckon that is ever actually that high. Running manual sensitivity between 4-7 recently and this has been working well.

Will be interesting to see what the Equinox 800 does on the same little patch later in the week.

So have you got it yet or still on the way? Interested to see how you go. Taking ours to the GT next weekend so if I can get it of Mrs bjay theres some junk filled sites I gotta try it on. If I can tame it over there.

Hopefully turning up Tuesday. But probably Wednesday. God forbid, Thursday 8.(

I've got Friday off so just needs to be here by then really.

I'm not expecting heaps from it but being able to change tones for ferrous/non ferrous and lower the ferrous volume is going to be really helpful. To me, both ferrous and non ferrous sound the same on the GM so it means a lot of screen/meter checking.

With the lower frequencies it may also hit some deeper, larger pieces the GM is missing. Also going to do a mates old house site that I got a British Cavalry Breast Plate from, look for a colleagues fine gold chain she lost in her yard 4 years ago, find 30 gold sovereigns, etc :lol: :lol:

It will be the first detector I've had with fancy numbers ;)

Northeast said:
Could be mine too :lol:

I was just listening to a George Kinsey podcast the other day and he reckoned the first few sessions with a 'numbered detector' you should cover the screen. Just listen to the noises and dig the ones that sound right :Y:

Dig 'em all mate, you never know what's under the surface.

Cheers,
Paul

1522621850_20180402_050616_2.jpg
my son and i got our very first piece last week it took a year to the day but well worth the effort may have set the bar a bit high though found it at birimgangpa while camping at ml1870 big shout out to barry and paul great hosts and a good camping spot right between mcmasters and birimgan gpa weight 11.49 grams names dave by the way cheers

Crickey limpalot you are smashing it :Y: talk about an upgrade well done again :Y:. Walshie your mate might want this machine back but I think he'll just have to buy another, good buy limppy :Y:.

Nice piece mate,
Looks rather on the skinny side for a 10+ grammer, especially with ironstone inclusion. Good find though nonetheless!
Snicker said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9912/1522621850_20180402_050616_2.jpgmy son and i got our very first piece last week it took a year to the day but well worth the effort may have set the bar a bit high though found it at birimgangpa while camping at ml1870 big shout out to barry and paul great hosts and a good camping spot right between mcmasters and birimgan gpa weight 11.49 grams names dave by the way cheers

Hi All

My son taught me a lesson in perseverance on the weekend.

While I was crevicing in Slated Creek he asked me to check the target he found with the SDC.

He had been trying to find it for 30 minutes.

The crevice he was digging was about 100 mm wide by 150 mm deep.

I got the pick and continued to widen the crevice and at the 40 minute mark we isolated a shotgun pellet.

He checked the hole and there was still a target, so I kept breaking the bedrock away and from the rock wall we isolated another shogun pellet at the 50 minute mark.

He checked the hole and said he could still hear a faint sound, I checked the hole and was not sure if it was ground noise.

I was about to walk away when my son said come Dad third time lucky.

So I smashed the rock wall which was now about 200 mm wide and in the second scoop he heard the target.

It was a tiny flat .02 gram piece of gold, It was third time lucky at the 60 minute mark. :Y: :Y:

1522833642_img_0566-min.jpg

1522833606_img_0564-min.jpg

Latest posts