⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SinHof said:
Hi All,
The long wait for the new 19" coil for the 7000 is over, two hours after picking mine up last Monday I had my first of two finds with the big beast, a 1.7 gram piece from a very well flogged area, it was down about 350mm in shale, next day a 0.27 gram piece, again from an area I had gridded several times in past years, it was down about 120mm. these were the only two pieces found for the trip with the new coil, long grass covered about 90% of the country well suited to the 19" beast, making detecting almost impossible with the new coil, which was disappointing to say the least.
After five days with the new coil there is still much to be sorted, more on that subject in the MineLab section.
The remainder of the finds came from the odd bits of ground with shot grass where the 14" coil could be swung without too much trouble, in all a disappointing trip, still 7.8 grams is better than nothing, it all adds up over time.
Cheers,SinHof.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1479703391_20161121_121515.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1479703391_20161121_122536.jpg

SinHof, we've recently returned from a successful prospecting trip using the GPX4500 with a Coiltek 14" Mono Elite coil. and the SDC2300. We've worked with friends nearby swinging the GPZ7000. They were also quite successful but it's really hard to determine how much advantage is gained with the 7000. On several occasions we pulled out some quite deep nuggets from ground previously covered by the 7000.

Now I understand that we never get it all so regardless of what detector has been there before we're still likely to find the odd one but so far I'm not convinced that the guys with the 7000 have done any better. They say that they are doing better but then if I'd spent that much I might say the same :)

Do you feel that this machine has significantly improved your finds over the 5000? Of course we can always hang a 19" coil off the 4500 or 5000 as well.

Phil

Evening Monybox,
Do you feel that this machine has significantly improved your finds over the 5000?
A very definite Yes, one particular hill we discovered, looked very promising but the 5000 could not handle the red hot ground, three of us worked the hill over and found one small piece. First day on the same hill with the 7000 saw 17 nuggies in the rattle jar and to this day we can still manage to pluck the odd find.
Just last week with the new 19" coil, expectations were fairly high only to have them dashed due to very long grass on the hill and just about everywhere else.
From day one I've kept my finds segregated into lots by detector and location/s, the 7000 lots far out way those of the 5000 and a fair percentage of the 7000 finds came off country that I had worked pretty well with the 5000 and a range of coil sizes in about a third of the time.
Hope this answers your question.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Evening Monybox,
Do you feel that this machine has significantly improved your finds over the 5000?
A very definite Yes, one particular hill we discovered, looked very promising but the 5000 could not handle the red hot ground, three of us worked the hill over and found one small piece. First day on the same hill with the 7000 saw 17 nuggies in the rattle jar and to this day we can still manage to pluck the odd find.
Just last week with the new 19" coil, expectations were fairly high only to have them dashed due to very long grass on the hill and just about everywhere else.
From day one I've kept my finds segregated into lots by detector and location/s, the 7000 lots far out way those of the 5000 and a fair percentage of the 7000 finds came off country that I had worked pretty well with the 5000 and a range of coil sizes in about a third of the time.
Cheers, SinHof.

Congrats,17 to 1 is an Awesome result, 4 to 1 would seal the deal because that's a 75% increase but 17 to 1 way more than one would expect, That's incredible well done and thanks for the info.

John.

SinHof said:
Evening Monybox,
Cheers, SinHof.

Thanks SinHof. Mrs M was trying to talk me into the 7000 but I was quite satisfied with our finds. I guess if we could have added 25% to them the 7000 would have looked quite a good investment. There's still the weight issue for me. I've never held it in my hands but I only weigh 64kg after being home in a good paddock for a couple of months :lol: I enjoy wandering around for a couple of hours several times a day and I just don't know if I am up to handling the extra load.

Moneybox said:
They say that they are doing better but then if I'd spent that much I might say the same

Of course we can always hang a 19" coil off the 4500 or 5000 as well.
A lot of blokes that have spent big dollars buying a GPX & a SDC then accessorizing them out (not much monetary difference there to the Zed anyway!) might say the same too! Or those that are just deadest anti GPZ seemingly go out of their way to discredit it - works both ways IMO!

Those aftermarket coil makers are very timely in their release of new coil sizes :lol: The new type 19" coils will be amazing I'm sure! Just waiting for the company "testers" to start smashing the forums & YouTube any day now on the tail of the GPZ19 angst! They'll sell like hotcakes.

If you have friends with the GPZ why not arrange for a day or two out detecting with it. You should soon know if it's for you or not?
You seem to have your bases covered with what you already have though? Why change a successful combo from a successful year? They are all good machines!

Moneybox said:
I just don't know if I am up to handling the extra load.
With a correctly fitted harness &/or the use of a hipstick there is no extra load IMO. I pull up better after a day on the Zed than I did some days with the SD/GP/GPX/SDC but in saying that I rarely, if ever, used a bungee on any of them. A bungee, well fitted harness/pro swing harness &/or hipstick is a must with the GPZ if detecting more than an hour or so again IMO.

SinHof said:
Hi All,
The long wait for the new 19" coil for the 7000 is over, two hours after picking mine up last Monday I had my first of two finds with the big beast, a 1.7 gram piece from a very well flogged area, it was down about 350mm in shale, next day a 0.27 gram piece, again from an area I had gridded several times in past years, it was down about 120mm. these were the only two pieces found for the trip with the new coil, long grass covered about 90% of the country well suited to the 19" beast, making detecting almost impossible with the new coil, which was disappointing to say the least.
After five days with the new coil there is still much to be sorted, more on that subject in the MineLab section.
The remainder of the finds came from the odd bits of ground with shot grass where the 14" coil could be swung without too much trouble, in all a disappointing trip, still 7.8 grams is better than nothing, it all adds up over time.
Cheers,SinHof.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1479703391_20161121_121515.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1479703391_20161121_122536.jpg
Good result SinHof - bring on the next drought :lol:

I feel the Z is no doub't a great machine but the question always in the back of my mind is it twice as good as a 5000 as the price would depict ?
The jump from 5K I spent which includes a 12, 15 and 18 Nugget finder coils for the 5000 is a damn long way from 10K for the Z :rolleyes:
The pricing is at the moment basically a 45 for 3.5 K, 5000 for 5K and then a whopping jump to 10K for the Z :( Will leave the SDC out of it as no matter what machine I purchase I'd always have one as it excels in certain conditions better than any other machine. I guess the advantage gained for money spent causes the most hesitation for me as I have no doub't it works and works well but then so does a 5000 also :)
I've noted there are members that are using far less machines and still getting good results and finding good gold ;)
Basically with current pricing at the moment it's 5000 for 5K or jump to a Z for 10K ................... come on minelab time to get the pencil sharpened I reckon ;)

Bogger said:
I feel the Z is no doub't a great machine but the question always in the back of my mind is it twice as good as a 5000 as the price would depict ?
The jump from 5K I spent which includes a 12, 15 and 18 Nugget finder coils for the 5000 is a damn long way from 10K for the Z :rolleyes:
The pricing is at the moment basically a 45 for 3.5 K, 5000 for 5K and then a whopping jump to 10K for the Z :( Will leave the SDC out of it as no matter what machine I purchase I'd always have one as it excels in certain conditions better than any other machine. I guess the advantage gained for money spent causes the most hesitation for me as I have no doub't it works and works well but then so does a 5000 also :)
I've noted there are members that are using far less machines and still getting good results and finding good gold ;)
Basically with current pricing at the moment it's 5000 for 5K or jump to a Z for 10K ................... come on minelab time to get the pencil sharpened I reckon ;)

Bogger my 4500 cost me $3000 with the 14" Coiltek and original coils. It came out of Brisbane about 4 or 5 months old and had never found gold. We broke it in with a half a kilo of gold (between both machines) from about three months detecting 4 to 5 days a week.

$10,000 seems way over the top but we can't do anything about that. What I'm weighing up is if the 7000 finds that much more gold then we'd already be in front. If that were the case then the price doesn't matter as much as it would if you just head out getting a gram or two once in a while.

Hi Bogger & Moneybox,
Detecting like so many other things in life is a "numbers game", in the case of purchasing an expensive detector, apart from the $ numbers one has to balance those against the number of hours/days you are able to detect over a season, in this case, say a 7000. If you have country that has a history of producing reasonable amounts of gold and in particular if it is reefy rough gold that the 7000 really excels at and runs rings around other detectors, then the numbers will fall pretty much in favour of increasing the $ numbers and purchasing a 7000 given that you can put in enough detecting time to justify the extra expense, knowing that your gold finds should also increase. The above logic, if you can call it that, is pretty much what led me into purchasing a 7000, having done that I've never looked back and I'm lucky to be able to detect more than eight or ten weeks in a season. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you get the numbers correct you will have more gold in the rattle jar at the end of most detecting days than you would have with a lesser detector and therefore recoup the extra $ numbers for the 7000 fairly rapidly, this is exactly what has panned out in my case, the 7000 paid for itself fairly quickly and the some.
Hope my long winded logic helps in some way in working through any decisions on purchasing a 7000.
Cheers, SinHof.

This one fell victim to the Zed, factory settings.

1479935860_screenshot_2016-11-24-07-40-57-1.jpg

Been a while since I've been able to get out nice to see someone getting some thanks for posting PT. That's looks like a 14" inch coil your using or is it the 19".

RM Outback said:
Been a while since I've been able to get out nice to see someone getting some thanks for posting PT. That's looks like a 14" inch coil your using or is it the 19".

Those were with the 14.

Latest posts