Weekends Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
I went exploring at some local creeks over the weekend between Moranbah and Clermont on the advice from Tymor.

My original plan was just to sample around the creeks for gold, but at the first creek I went down tooless first just to check the lay of the land, I ended up staying there about 2hrs speccing for gems lol and didn't get any panning done. Although I will go back later when there is a bit more water on the creek, my neighbour has also offered me his spot for picking up gold and gems :D

Some photos...

Can anybody ID the clearer stones..garnets?

The creek...mmm all those natural riffles, started to stock up on my crevicing tools just for this haha

30wvak5.jpg

1z5of8w.jpg

Some of the stones

25ewp3p.jpg

This one was an interesting find. I got it when I stopped the car on the Hwy to check out what looked like old diggings hidden in the trees, and it was right there shining up at me when I opened the door. On the inside it has an unusual coloured sheen that I havn't seen before in the rock, prob won't show too well on the photo as you need to have a good light reflecting off it

2dv682w.jpg

Garnet or quartz?

20u8tom.jpg

And again..

2hd2r8x.jpg

This piece is unique, it has a solid stone border, but the clear centre with veins running through it..

2s68o7l.jpg

And this piece caught my eye because of the smoothness of it, the blending of the quartz and ironstone as well as all the boreholes in it. It's a lot prettier then the photo makes it out to be...

k1z2pc.jpg

And this is the spot I stopped to check out, what caught my eye is the dirt buildup in a semi circular shape. I took a quick look around and couldn't find any diggings as to where they may have come from, maybe further up the mountain, but there was also very limited quartz through it as you .would usually find in mullock heaps, and it is all treed in so isn't anything that was done in recent times.

161n5nk.jpg

k0661l.jpg

And the temperature here this morning at 530am out the front of my house

2lk5eh1.jpg

Fargen cold , but that area looks good. Not sure if any of your stones are gems , look like quartz of some sort

That first one is interesting - looks like a piece of chalcedony but it's hard to be sure.

As for that circular mound - you may have discovered a new northern species of Mallee fowl :)

Nice report Joe, colour on that stone is a bit darker than the geode I dug last time I was up there, similar source material perhaps????

I can now happily recommend getting a garret pan for dry panning some of those crevices or you could whack up a dry blower if you are more adventurous. I would love to see one in action.

Sounds like you are getting onto some good local knowledge. :D Keep it up.

Latest posts