Need help identifying a pink stone found at Nundle.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was panning off some Nundle (Peel River) concentrates this morning and found this pink stone. Any idea of what it might be?

1399082381_img_20140503_115705.jpg

Sorry about the bad pic, I'll try and take a better one later on if required.

Cheers,
Nugget

Would be nice to think it is a pink sapphire, not wanting to get your hopes up yet but nice find regardless. What is the size?

At a guess it's roughly around 3.5mm x 4mm, but I'll find something to measure with in a little bit to give exact measurements.

Looks a lot like a Pink Sapphire or Ruby, well done Nugget if it is. Have you got a UV light? Should flouresce hot pink under UV if it's a Ruby. Not all do but a lot do.

Nice one Nugget, great colour, that has to quadruple its sentimental value alone!! :D

Looks like a light coloured ruby to me and a good shape to cut as well, hope the size is viable.

Anything is possible in the peel nugget, I know a guy that panned a cut star sapphire in the peel ;-)

At a guess from the pic either a pink Garnet or Sapphire. Would love to see a close up showing that crystal edge (top left) as this will narrow it down. Either way a splendid gem, and if it's a garnet it is the most sought after colour in the jewelery trade, and brings a big premium for the mineral. (Very Rare). ;)

Thanks guys, unfortunately I don't own a UV light. Wal, I'll take another pic from a different angle tomorrow.

PS. I measured it up and it's actually 2.5mm x 3mm. Do you think it's possible to cut a stone of this size?

You can cut stones half that size. If it's a sapphire it would certainly be worth the effort. As a garnet it would make a nice shoulder stone for the next Sapphire you get from Nundle. Looking at the shape it has enough depth to cut a "brilliant" cut, and with the clarity it would sparkle extremely well on a ring.

Niceeeee! Puts my Blue Sapphire to shame.

If that's from the same spot that's 3 in such a small area.

Goodwork!

I'm definitely going to have a look through the concentrates to see if there's more of them. I only noticed this one as I was panning for gold and not really looking out for stones. All from the same spot.

I still need to get a decent shot of that unknown stone you discovered while we're highbanking. I'll post it up when I do.

Nice surprise! hopefully there is more!

I'm almost certain now we were the first to hit it in a long time.

Will be interesting to see what that one we found hihghbanking looks like under some decent light.

Those cutters at lambert s must loose their sight early... Some of the stones they cut could pass through the eye of a needle... Cutting such small rough sometimes makes a stone too hard to look at . They really do mean it when they say no minimum size to cut!

Hey Nugget, UV torches are about $3 from China on ebay, mine took about one week to get here!

Looks like a 9 led one.

Pics of Barrington pinks before UV light and after UV light applied.

I picked out the glowing ones, they all do not glow. I believe the ones rich with chromium glow hot pink?

1399114298_img_4582.jpg

1399114341_img_4581.jpg

Cheers

I've just grabbed my blacklight and gone over the gems I have seeing as its dark and all. I have managed to pick out 3 that fluoresce orange, none others do. Of the three one is clear, one is yellow and the other is honey/red. The clear has the 'classic' sapphire crystal shape and is a half decent size. I have no idea where it came from though which is annoying - but it looks like I have a decent cuttable white sapphire!

I'll have a better look in the sunlight tomorrow and get some pics.

Nugget, I'm back in the hunter Tuesday if you want to meet up and cast my blacklight over your stone??

Incredible pics RS, I'll have to get on and order a UV light shortly.

Ben, unfortunately I probably won't be back at Nundle for at least a few weeks but I'll let you know when I'm going next.

A trip to the Barringtons is definitely on the to do list :)

I'd love to get back to Nundle and clean some more of that spot up, but with this cold weather I don't know how keen I really am.

Tho if I didn't need the money for a trip to gulgong and probably head off today. Just fill the back of the ute with blankets and crawl into some kind of cocoon.

Latest posts