A bit of Bornite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool, thanks for posting. I think I have a small sample of that somewhere but didn't know what it was. Now I do so certainly worth sharing :)

Nice specimen, but I think you will find it is something like a hydrothermal haematite with a multicoloured tarnish, similar to a specimem that I have pictured below, they look very similar. :)

This sample was obtained from an industrial sillaminite quarry where quite a few of these hydrothermal veins were intersected, the haematite tended to coat the fractures and voids.

1398854868_img_20131227_021655.jpg

Interesting goldpick and nice rock.
This vein was above an old hard rock mine in what i think was a rhyolite outcrop. The vein showed no sign of magnatism and did not signal my falcon probe at all, which made me think sulphide. Was also the first thing that popped into mind.

excalibur63, the colour seems to be on most of the surface that has been exposed, though some is more just a brown colour. On one rock it is just like a skin but on other bits there is a quartz crust with the ore being the rest.

Latest posts