Iron meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Boring

Andy
Reaction score
These are iron meteorites from WA. I have only ever found a few (compared to thousands of nuggets in the same period) They sound like gold when you detect them. I unknowingly threw a couple away when i was younger thinking they were just loud hot rocks

1398406908_img_0151b.jpg

1398407196_img_0150b.jpg

The bottom photo is where i put the grinder to it to show the FE/NI content. Very pure metal

Looks like a beautiful thing to own, I'd be stoked to find one.

I wonder if there is an acid I could use to remove the oxide layer?. Looks like that Iron meteorite was treated with something, Looks amazing!

yeah only got limited internet in my current campsite, but been reading a bit online. My old mate John (RIP) had a meteorite shaped like a "full flanged tektite" it was a basic coarse grained volcanic rock, green to brown in color, Definitely a planetary rock. The best looking meteorite i've even seen It went to Canada in the end, never heard about it again

Mr Boring said:
I know they belong to the "State of Western Australia"... but they aint getting them

Mr Boring , you must understand that this is an open forum , your above statement may be read by those who could cause this site problems .
Youre lucky that the photos show possible meteorites , my confirmation is worth nothing without expert classification .

Please be careful with your wording .

Do understand your feelings :)

ha, get ur point Outback but trust me, The Barnett government and the state of WA has bigger plans for this unit..

Mr Boring said:
ha, get ur point Outback but trust me, The state of WA has bigger plans for this unit..

I think WA meteorite laws are the most idiotic & stupid example of legislation , they create an underground re-birthing of scientifically valuable stones to other locations .

Check deep into the posts on the IMCA ( international meteorite collectors association ) .
You will find some amazing examples of permission grated to foreign meteorite hunters , pure Hypocrisy !

:mad:

Why the hell don't they just let people keep them, but only after a visit to the museum to register the type of meteorite, composition, andthe location where it was found. After all, they went to the effort of finding it in the first place? Another case of stupid state laws and legislation that should be changed to come in line with the other states, and nationalised. As you mention Outback, it just creates a black market, and they get no information on the find whatsoever. :/

Goldpick said:
Why the hell don't they just let people keep them, but only after a visit to the museum to register the type of meteorite, composition, andthe location where it was found. After all, they went to the effort of finding it in the first place? Another case of stupid state laws and legislation that should be changed to come in line with the other states, and nationalised. As you mention Outback, it just creates a black market, and they get no information on the find whatsoever. :/

Well said Goldpick , talk about shi**ng in their own nest ! :eek:

Yes its not fair, I cant think of any examples where that law has actually been enforced. Theres a meteorite the size of a bus at Warburton in the central desert. It also happens to be a sacred site.

Hello all Laurence/LD.

If you really want to find some lovely Meteorite samples there is a place not far from Bundaberg that you can collect some absolutely lovely ones.
:)
Latitude 24 degrees 53minutes /28.06 seconds South.
Longitude 151 degrees 26 minutes /46.13 seconds East.

I used to collect some lovely specimens from the the creek off Twin Creeks road this is about 2 hours drive west of Bundaberg,
not sure on the legal ramifications now, but I used to get them when I was younger from here.

Also If you look at this area using Google maps set at about 23km above you can see where the Meteorite had impacted the ground cheers all.

Paul

Iron meteorite locations are irrelevant to science. They occur infrequently and sporadically across any ancient craton..

Same laws apply in Queensland - a bloke I know who had a machinery claim on the CQ gemfields dug one up with his excavator, a good-sized iron one about the size of a cushion. Some months later, government officials turned up at his house (word had obviously gotten around) and demanded that he surrender it. They simply took it off him, no compensation of any kind :mad:

Latest posts