Dredging in Australia for recreational activities IS illegal..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a Dredge set up is illegal in Australia with or without a miners right, however after being through the processes to establish a claim here in victoria, under a PL or ML, providing you have forfilled all the requirements for all gov departments (EPA, department of Mines) associated with the proposal, and community engagement, and impact statements, Dredging is still considered as a form of mining practice that can be used, if permitted and suitable for the claim area in question.
Dredging is not illegal under License.
Cheers

Modern Miner.
(Ben).

Modern Miner said:
Using a Dredge set up is illegal in Australia with or without a miners right, however after being through the processes to establish a claim here in victoria, under a PL or ML, providing you have forfilled all the requirements for all gov departments (EPA, department of Mines) associated with the proposal, and community engagement, and impact statements, Dredging is still considered as a form of mining practice that can be used, if permitted and suitable for the claim area in question.
Dredging is not illegal under License.
Cheers

Modern Miner.
(Ben).

There has been NO APPROVAL FOR ANY DREDGING MINING LEASE in Victoria for many years.
No application will be granted.

Dredging in australia is illegal and we need to make sure it is stopped before we get tossed out of our hobby all together. And digging into banks will also hurt our hobby as more and more damage is done. It is my understanding that gold in rivers and streams is transported down stream by the force of water flowing. It does not jump out and bury itself in the banks. You need to look at the places where the gold has a chance to drop out of the flow and settle on the bottom. It then works its way down until it hitts bed rock. So why did the banks.
I do however have a question on legalities. I do not and will not dredge in any river or stream but I intend ot use a sluice to recover gold. Since I am not very fit and am beibg 70 years old I want to get the best out of my sluice. I have thoughts of developing a system of delivery to the sluice by a water based system.
By that I mean I want to build a small hopper that I can have by my side andshovel material inth the hopper. The material is then transfered to the sluice by water action. (very similar to how a dredge works) but it is nt being used as a dredge and the design would not work as one. It would simply be a delivery system to get my material over to and through the sluice.
Does anyone have any comments on this. The only suction involved is from the hopper and that has to be loaded by hand and shovel. I see that as legal.
I want to make it easy for myself but also want to stay lega.
What's your thoughts

No Dredging, what a sad state of affairs... I am a mad keen dredger across the ditch...

There needs to be limits certainly... no dredging into banks or leaving great holes... but I can say that you will struggle to find evidence of activity with my 8 inch dredge after each small fresh.

With regards to the fisheries... trout are introduced and as such should be treated in the same context as rats stoats and cane toads....

River sluicing is Totally legal in qld mate..Even highbanking.....but with the highbanker you just have to pump water with a hand or foot pump like yobs rocker or you can bucket feed the water..No electric or fuel powerd anything.. :mad: :mad: Unless you have the required licences ECT. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
River sluicing is Totally legal in qld mate..Even highbanking.....but with the highbanker you just have to pump water with a hand or foot pump like yobs rocker or you can bucket feed the water..No electric or fuel powerd anything.. :mad: :mad: Unless you have the required licences ECT. :Y:
Thats frustrating , was looking at sneaking one from the states into storage without the missus finding out .... but will need to look at wind turbine high bankers or river sluices . Fair dinkum we cant do anything here , Im surprised we can still fish

Hahaha..no wind turbine either mate :D Must be all hand operated...yobs rocker box is the best setup I have seen..can run it anywhere there's water..no need to for water flow just feed and pump :Y:

If there was to be a water source a couple of meters elevation above and within say twenty meters of a high banker location... I wonder if you could run a hose to the high banker... legally?

Just like to add that dredging done the right way is sometimes a good thing.

the murray mouth is a good example.not many people realize it's near closed up at times,the dredging is the only thing that's kept it open.

doubt they even sluice the dredgings either.would be interesting if someone could clarify that one.

i think dredging done the right way improves water flow.

done wrong it can wreck the normal flow,pretty much why it's banned.

Dredging of shipping channels and river mouths wouldn't get sluiced mate.

It's only purpose is to create depth for ships to pass or in the Murray rivers case allow flow.

Latest posts