Cairns research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1413068428_pic_1008_066-1.jpg

Some of the items at work. Im still trying to find an owner. May have found a home for it at a museum near Irvanbank. Also I think some items were from the tobacco days but still interesting.

Reminiscences of Queensland 1862-1899 by W. H. CORFIELD

ifrontis.jpg

A very interesting read written from the perspective of a bullock team driver who supplied the Cape River goldfields, the Palmer Goldfields, and Edwardstown (Maytown) as it was known then by the diggers who apparently refused to recognise the name Maytown.

He tells of his journeys and adventures back and forth between Townsville, Cooktown and the goldfields carrying supplies on the outward journey and gold on the homeward journey.

i158.jpg

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks/n00002.html

Enjoy :D

Hi,
You may want to read a few books written by Ion Idriess a much unread and " lost " Australian writer.
He was a prospector for both tin and gold before world war 1 and was one of the last of the white men to see the true traditional aboriginals.
The books are hard to find. Look for " the tin scratchers " and " Back of Cairns "
They are a great read anyway and if you are in the area you never know.

Good luck

Scottlucky

Grant,
Bloody great looking creeks,
but you need to talk to Tony........
Get on some better ground mate!

:)

Hi grant
I've worked that piece of bedrock in the first two photos and got some flakes. They were hard against the bedrock on the down stream side. I took the kayak up today for a better look around and found some nice aeras that would be good for a highbanker but getting the highbanker to the aera would pose a few problems

Pappy

In Victoria I use to run 2 bits of 4x2 across the canoe and sit the highbanker on that, with the water pump inside
acts as a pontoon. Then you can pull up to a spot on the river and work it from there

Wouldn't be to hard to put together a side raft and sit it on there

Hi xiv
that's not a bad idear. I will have a look at setting it up on the yak tomorrow to see if I can get it to work and blance out .

Pappy

Pappy1111 said:
Hi grant
I've worked that piece of bedrock in the first two photos and got some flakes. They were hard against the bedrock on the down stream side. I took the kayak up today for a better look around and found some nice aeras that would be good for a highbanker but getting the highbanker to the aera would pose a few problems

Pappy

Ahh you got there before me and cleaned it out :p Only joking. :p

Good to know the gold is there. I have mine in a large plastic tub, I am sure that would float. :p

You could tie a couple of those tubs to the kayak and carry your gear :D

There's definitely 3 saltys in the first pool below the third bridge and one sighting in the long pool above. They are only about a metre long and should be alright for a year or two. However if any go missing ,worry because a big one might have arrived. Certainly keeps u on your toes, after meeting one in the middle of a good set of rapids in the bloomfied a couple of years ago I can say for sure that you have to be extremely lucky to see one if it's stationary Be vigilant and definetly take a spare pair of jocks.

Hey guys and girls,
Newbie here to the group and to prospecting scene. Was just wondering uf the cairns group still meets up or not keen to soak up as much info and knoweldge as i can. Cheers

some really valuable research you guys have put up here. Are any of you still meeting in Cairns on a regular basis? I work week on week off so have a whole week to explore each fortnight. keen to meet some of you local prospectors.

Latest posts