Cairns research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cairns Post (Qld. : 1909 - 1954), Wednesday 28 June 1939, page 11
1399772361_image.jpg

Ok after doing 11hrs yesterday. Getting home at 5.am. and driving 9 hrs home last night.
I will be refreshed and looking forward for catching up tomorrow morning.
What time are we getting there.

Afraid im not going to make it tomorrow, needed at work til 12:30. Would have been good to meet some more of
the cairns members. Hopefully these meets will become a regular thing and I can catch the next one. :-(

Ok just re-read the post. Thanks tot
See you all at 9:30am.

Have been researching the Freshwater goldfields.

This article is hard to read but it does state that they were getting 8 pennyweight per day (just under half an ounce) or about $550 per day in today's dollars at the current gold price. That's great wages.

It also gives a pretty good description of where the top and bottom camps were located.

It talks about a Copper lode which I have seen a sign for a suburb / place out towards freshwater. It also mentions a couple of sugar cane plantations by name.

Anyone with some local knowledge able to help identify the landmarks they refer to so we can narrow the search area down?

1400401896_image.jpg

1400401634_image.jpg

Copperlode Dam turnoff is just past the cutting at Park Ridge Kanimbla. There is a Banning Ave. in Brinsmead as well. I wouldn't mind betting it is at Redlynch Valley Estate as I have come across some old Chinese workings out there while I was having a poke around.

Went out to Tyrconnel Gold Mine yesterday. The unsealed road in is pretty ordinary but better than some of the country roads and tracks I have been on at least this one has been graded. Here are some of the photos:

The mine head:
1402794492_img_1530.jpg

1402794592_img_1532.jpg

1402794592_img_1533.jpg

1402794592_img_1534.jpg

An old stamper:
1402794533_img_1539.jpg

1402794533_img_1540.jpg

The old cottages:
1402794646_img_1531.jpg

The creeks:
1402794751_img_1492.jpg

1402794751_img_1493.jpg

1402794782_img_1501.jpg

There are over 50 images so I put them up on Photobucket here:

http://s700.photobucket.com/user/mxfive_photos/slideshow/Gold Prospecting/Tyrconnel Gold Mine

Tried my luck in the creeks but didn't find any gold worth keeping. Only some really tiny fly poo type specks so it was a catch and release situation.

incredible hey! I am looking at the maps around here and when considering the country the old mines are in, you think WT why would you? Is it worth going up those escarpments? Pretty interesting!

Tryconnell is an active concern, the owners have restored some of the equipment and offer a camp ground and cabin accommodation. its pretty rustic but its a good spot. I have been there and found gold in the creek.

Cheers, Tone

The Tyrconnell gold mine is up for sale and has been for about a year now.

Unfortunately the owners partner Cate developed breast cancer and they have moved to Sydney for her treatment which I am glad to say by all accounts has worked and she is now in remission.

There is a caretaker couple living there now and the mines future is up in the air at the moment. If I had the money I would buy it.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/tra...-the-right-bid-a-goldmine-20130415-2hvju.html

http://www.privatelisting.com.au/Detail.aspx?ID=16383

Yeah, I spoke to the caretaker a couple weeks back, I was told they were in France, Cate is a lovely lady, its a shame about the Breast Cancer, Andy can spin a yarn also.

We should organise a trip out there. its an easy drive and there is some nice color to be found. Not a lot, but its the right color

Cheers, Tone

Yes I wish I had the chance to meet with them while I am up here but I wish them all the best for the future.

An excellent idea about the trip. :D

How about we do that for the coffee catch up in July?

Sound like a great idea
Will see you all for coffee soon