Cairns research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know when the meet up is and I'll come along. It would be good to meet my fellow prospectors.

Cheers

Gerard

How does the Saturday after mothers day sound. I will give George a heads up. Maybe we can hit a local spot afterwards? Or see if Kane wants to show us up to the old mine he found in Kamarunga..

Cheers Tone

I can do that. Go have a look at the mine. And if there is running water in the creek there have a pan as well.
But a coffee with George in the morning would be good.
Alway pays to get some info on the area first.

Bugger. Rostered on for work!

On a positive, went to Goldsborough a couple of days ago and got a bit of colour in the pan. Meant to take a pic and put it up, but back at work now. Getting 3-4 average each pan. Nothing too big, good colour. Be good to get the sluice in there! But. Bit more investigation and try get closer to the source first. Got some flood gold too, from big pile of sand from behind nice big rock. Easier to dig too! Only tried the one spot, might make a day of it next time, now the weathers cooler.

Thats a handy little article there TGW, anyone know anyone who might be able to get us into that area for a bit of a field day?

There is supposed to be color in the creeks around that area.

Cheers, Tone

Did you also see the articles in the latest Gold, Gem and Treasure magazine on the lone prospectors McLeod and Jessop on pg24 ?

There is also mention of Cairns in the Echoes From the Past section on pg16.

TenOunce Tone said:
Thats a handy little article there TGW, anyone know anyone who might be able to get us into that area for a bit of a field day?

There is supposed to be color in the creeks around that area.

Cheers, Tone
Did some research on the area.
There are two families properties involved in the Mt.Peter, Edmonton area Fantin's Farm and the Temperley property.
The gold bearing quartz reef itself is down 200m shafts above the old Hillview mine and is twelve feet wide. The first crushing of stone from the Talisman Amalgamated Mine, on the Mt.Peter field, returned 14oz. 13dwts of gold from 9 tons 13cwt.
It was last mined in 1985.
The shafts have been sealed with concrete now.
The main creek involved appears to be Wrights Creek but much of it is on private property.

Tooheys ck north branch up above 3rd bridge at goldsbourgh enters river half mile up from bridge.. Heard a few stories years ago. I never found much better than fly shits.. Chlosey river to Davies creek better to play...gold mine ck... Old kiwi mine there..

I had access years ago to mt Peter talisman mine area was not sure which shaft it was. A good dredge pump to pump through a box to empty a shaft could have been interesting.. Heard stories of a old timer hiding gold in a white ants mound up top... There is verry small shafts on top where Chinese mined out small veins. Verry interesting to look at ill tell u. Mt Peter is young..
My mates dad was in volved in a small area behind redlynch. There is a area with half a dozen shafts. The wet never allowed them to gain the gold, hard ship endured .. The workers ended up pannin n making wages. Good au/ ton I heard .. Below Tunnel 3 kuranda railway line. Lotsa trash.. Head another story of an old fella going up the hill above the rail line regularly in the early days.. Heard nobody new his source..
Ahhh stories...

Bushmanrod said:
Tooheys ck north branch up above 3rd bridge at goldsbourgh enters river half mile up from bridge.. Heard a few stories years ago. I never found much better than fly shits.. Chlosey river to Davies creek better to play...gold mine ck... Old kiwi mine there..
Found mention of the Kiwi mine:

"James Venture Mulligan was first on the scene again. In 1875 he found "colours" of gold in the Clohesy River (between Kuranda and Mareeba). "Colours" means that there was a bit of gold in his prospecting dish, but not enough to get excited about. In 1880, though, Daniel Cook found a quartz reef containing gold and a small goldfield was born.

The most important mine on the Clohesy Goldfield was the Waitemata. As you can tell by the Maori name, this was worked by a group of New Zealanders, Norman, Angus and Murdoch Mackenzie. They didn't make a fortune though and moved on.

A battery was built to treat the gold ore. It was run by a waterwheel. These are big wheels which are made to turn around by the force of water, usually in a creek or river. This is unusual in Australian mining, because the continent is so dry. In the high rainfall of the coastal ranges behind Cairns, though, waterwheel batteries were quite common.

A small town grew up near the battery, called Clohesy. It didn't last long as the mining declined after 1898. There is no trace of the town and battery today. Small miners have occasionally tried to re-open the mines but they haven't had much luck.

Another group of mines in the same district was closer to Mareeba. The main mine was the Queen Constance. You can find it up on the hill behind the perlite plant, past the TAFE college. It was a busy area in 1893-1897 and 1914-1916, when batteries were built to treat the gold ore."

Half gram to four gram pieces quite common around chlosey river area..
1399175975_image.jpg

1399175975_image.jpg

Hey guys.
Trying to gain ground on a property in karanda on 80a.
Has 2 creeks on it.
Will let you know how I go for a group day out.

I've got the OK to have a prospect on the acreage in karanda
Will have to do a recon mission and see if I get some colours in the pan.
Then we can organize a group day out.

Looking forward to getting home.
One more week.
I miss the girls.
My next job is a little closer to home.
Townsville. At least I can be home on the weekends.

Ok Cairns and FNQ crew, I have discussed our meet up next weekend with George at NQ Miners Den, he is happy for us to meet up at his place again. George will be in the process of packing to attend the Townsville Minelab day, but he is happy to have us come over, good opportunity to get that item you have been waiting on!

I think if we try to get there by 0930 we can grab a coffee, meet and greet and then if the weather is good, either see if we can go have an explore up Kamarunga Ck. Alternate plan could be to take a trip to the table lands and see what we can find..

Anyone who can make it please come along, it was a great way to meet some fellow forum members and catch up over a coffee.

Cheers, Tone

The Mulgrave River Rush.

We have been favored by Mr. James. V. Mulligan with the following diary of a journey from Cairns to tinaroo and the Mulgrave river rush, together with his opinion of the auriferous prospects of

that district :

August 31.-Left Thornborough in company with W, M. Mowbray, Esq. (warden), and E. A. Kayser, Esq. (mining surveyor), for the Mul- grave rush. Arrived at Cairns on Monday night. Did not go by Tinaroo, as we were doubtful about finding the track or marked-tree line.

September 3.-Left Cairns at 10 o'clock, and camped at 3 o'clock on the Mulgrave, opposite Walsh's pyramid, after travelling about eighteen

miles. During the day we crossed a few boggy _ swamps and two large creeks going into the inlet. Those swamps could be easily made passable.

After starting on September 4 up the river, passed some cedar-getters' camps, where several men are employed at this profitable industry. We soon crossed the Mulgrave, following a well beaten track up the river, crossing and recrossing seven or eight times before we reached the diggings. There is, a broad and swift-running stream in this river, in some places up to the horses girths. The total distance to the diggings from Cairns is about thirty-eight miles, Here Lacy has commenced butchering, and a packer haa arrived with quite a little store. Mr. Collin- son was about to start butchering, but he and Lacy have arranged matters, it not being good enough for two. Beef without bone is selling at 6d. per lb.; flour the same. Early this morning we passed the left-hand branch of the Mulgrave, and now as we approach the diggings several large creeks come in on both sides, quite little rivers of themselves. This river, as well as the creeks, is bound in by high precipitous ranges, and after the first twenty miles from Cairns very little country is available for any purpose. In some places dense scrub exists, which now and again is seen only on one side of the river, leaving the other side bald high hills.

September 5.-Went two miles up the river from camp, and crossed to where Moran and party are working. It is very difficult to cross anywhere here, the river runs so rapidly and the rocks are so slippery. We saw three men sluicing on a branch, and found that they were only making from 8dwt. to 10dwt. per day amongst the three. Their prospects show from gr. to lgr. to the dish ; the rock is almost bare, and the wash is got by breaking up the rock and taking the loose drift. The gold all over, as a rule, is very fine and scaly, though I know of a few pennyweights of coarse gold having been got up one of the branches. We afterwards went about two miles down the river from camp, to where three others of the same party (the prospectors of the place) were cradling. Their prospects show about lgr. to the dish, and they say that the three can make half an-ounce per day. They nre not satisfied with this, and notified their intention of going up higher to prospect in the head branches of the river. I think they are right, as the gold here is fine and has evidently been carried down from above. It is a pity the prospectors did not get sufficient time to fully prospect the locality before a premature rush set in, as I believe there will be found to be creeks and gullies at the heads of the river which will return payable gold to a few, judging from the wash in the river-bed, which is composed of quartz porphyry, green

stone, and gray stone, containing iron pyrites ; quartz is also in abundance. The formation is slate, with several porphyry peaks set in a range on the west side of the river, such as are seen in other auriferous localities. As yet there is no payable gold found on the Mulgrave, and the

country is too rough to allow of easy prospecting. Many diggers have come here with two, three, and four weeks' tucker, and no doubt some of them will stop till their rations are exhausted, and prospect the place. Prospecting is a stale game-little thanks is given to prospectors by those who are disappointed, and indeed the pros- pectors themselves seldom get the best of the gold, besides receiving little recognition from the Government, or from their fellow-miners. In the afternoon we had another walk for a few miles up another branch where a few are said to be getting a little gold by cradling, but the rocky nature of the creek and the hills coming in so close made it impossible for us to reach before night the desired place, so we returned wearied to prepare for a start to Tinaroo next morning.

September 6.-Left the diggings after ascer- taining that the most of those in camp had either cleared off or gone out prospecting. It appears that there was some fresh excitement, and in consequence those who did not feel inclined to leave the field set out to see what was up. My reason for thinking that payable creeks or gullies will be found at the head of the river, or some of its upper branches, is that a golden belt has been traced up the Barron river through Tinaroo (where good gold is now getting), and that belt passes over the head of the Mulgrave, cutting the Johnston river further south some distance down. I therefore feel confident that good gold will be got on the Johnston river. [See Mulligan's Travels in May, 1875, camps 13, 14, and 15 ; to be got at the Government Print- ing Office, price 9d.]

September 7.-Travelled down the Mulgrave for nine miles, when we left the river, taking Atherton's marked-tree line to Tinaroo, and after passing through a mile of scrub, through which we had several times to cut our way (owing to the recent fall of big trees), we passed up the range, which was certainly difficult, but no worse-indeed, I should say better than others which have caused much excitement, discussion, and expense. There is one siding dangerous, which for a trifle could be put right ; and before I quite lose sight of the Mulgrave I would suggest that the Cairns people apply to Government for some 400 or 500 to clear the track to the Mulgrave and Tinaroo. On the Mulgrave there is two miles of a most dangerous siding, which a few pounds would remedy, or another track could be cut on the opposite side

of the river.

I am certain that for a long time people will be prospecting and digging on the Mulgrave, and even should Europeans not be able to make a living there will eventually (as in all other cases) be a very large number of Chinese who will find

for themselves profitable employ in mining, if the natives allow them. The blacks are very numerous here, and show up in scores , they are as yet not hostile, but are much given to pilfering They only care to steal axes, toma- hawks, and red or colored blankets. No depre dations have been committed by them.They are, however, very fond of horse flesh, and down towards the inlet many have suffered in this line. It is my opinion that as soon as some reckless digger shoots one of the darkies with tho Snider they will retaliate on the white man with the spear. Well, to return to the subject, after great exertion (which it was) we surmounted the range and entered the scrub on the western slopes where we did not expect any scrub. We found Mr Atherton s track going for about fifteen miles through it. Mr Atherton and another marked this track, and I must say, without prejudice, it would be a grand road if a couple of boggy creeks were avoided, which can be done, and the diatance of fifteen miles could be reduced to ten by cutting off the zig zigs. This is a matter for tinaroo aud Cairns to move in, and I hope they will take the hint as before given, and ask the Government for a small sum to do it I am sure from the prospects of gold and tin at Tinaroo the Government will find it worth while to put this road in order , and indeed the Hodgkinson is entitled to it, as it will be the nearest and most direct packhorse road via Beaconsfield, Northcott, and Tinaroo, to Cairns. I do not want to tell your readers about the difficulties of getting through the scrub. Suffice to say, we travelled till 10 o clock at night, carry ing burning candles, and then had to camp right in the scrub without water. This I only mention to prevent others coming that way until the road through the scrub is properly cleared and true distances recorded

September 8 -We camped on the Barron river near Mulligans 16th camp of May, 1875. I can never forgive myself for the mistake I made in putting down the Barron (then not named) as a Mitchell water , indeed it was hard to know, dropping on to it as my little party did, and now many people know that the Mitchell waters come within two and a half miles of the Barron, and that there is not even a ridge of rising ground to separate the eastern and western watersheds. No doubt had I not taken this water for the Mit-

chell it would have earned another name to day, ours having been the first white footprints on it.

September 9 -Went to Tinaroo, near Mulli- gan's 15th Camp of 75. In his Travels, he says " payable gold will be got not far from here" This is now proved correct, as will appear by and-by. Saw all the workings for tin. Several creeks and gullies are now worked out, in fact, the workings seldom extend into flats and in con- sequence are easily exhausted, and I think except in a few instances holders of sections will hardly be called on to pay up the balance of the condi tion money , they, being satisfied with what they have got out of the ground, will let it revert back to the Crown as worthless to them. Mr Atherton, a squatter on the Barron, has taken a deep interest in the tin industry, and still em- ploys men on tribute-some thirty Chinese are here working on tribute. Messrs. Robertson and M'Cord have got a very valuable selection, from one gully, now nearly worked out, they report having despatched about 13 tons of tin , and they find a lead of tin going right through a flat hill, at one time an old channel of a river or creek , they have proved it by sinking shafts from 2ft to 24ft, showmg tin in abundance in the wash near the bottom. This is a valuable section, even if tin was much lower in price than it is.The miners have made themselves quite comfortable little dwellings. Mr Robinson reports several of his men having left on account of some coarse gold which has been got by the diggers some

three miles from here.

I need hardly tell you that this country is now well occupied since I first explored it in 1875. Mr Atherton, a persevering squatter, has got a station some twelve miles from Tinaroo, and indeed anyone passing by the same would say that the place is many years old .He has built an excellent dwelling, together with stock yards, drafting yards, and large paddocks. The place looks as complete and as comfortable as many old stations in New South Wales. There is on the run, I hear, between 3000 and 4000 head of cattle. Jack Campbell, another settler, his a fine place furthor down the Barron, and possesses some 1000 head of cattle. If we run up the Barron, and drop on to the extreme heads of the Herbert river, we shall find Gar butt s station, and Clark s and Stubley s, with all their vast improvements, all of which have been effected since I reported this splendid country in 1875. I shall leave the Port Douglas road and all its comfortable little homesteads alone, and again return to Tinaroo, which I can tell you is not only stanniferous but also auri- ferrous. Gold is frequently got in the tin and coarse specks are often picked out of the tin. Three miles from Tinaroo a number of miners

are working for gold (ten in all). They have been making about 20s. per day, but state that the gully is worked out , I think, however, they

will soon find another I have seen a nice

sample of coarse gold, about 5oz , and I hear of pieces of 4oz and 5oz respectively having been found last week. I have no doubt this will lead to better discoveries here, as I now endorse my opinions expressed in 1875. People coming here will of course have to do as has always to be done in Queensland-look for gullies for them- selves. I do not think there will be any rush or undue excitement about this place, it has now been working quietly for so long .Tinaroo, of course, is like other tin country, of granite for-

mation, while where the little gold is being got is slate , indeed I think good gold will be got in the slate formation, right in the scrub, and fol-

lowing the tableland towards the held of the Barron, until it drops over on to the Mulgrave and Johnston rivers. I will visit the field in about ten days from now.

Close

Latest posts