Cairns research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcause

Professional Life Liver
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We seem to have a few NQ members on here so I thought I would start a research post for Cairns that we can all add to over time.

This site has a good overview of whats happened in the area in the past:

http://www.cairnsmuseum.org.au/gold.htm

I believe the best way to research an area is to get out on the ground and look for the signs of gold bearing country so I have been out and about today and found these:

Cairns was founded as a Port for the goldfields. Even tourist signs can be helpful. :)

1398063856_cairnsresearch1.jpg

Blacks sands on the beaches it was localised to one spot where the creek cut across the beach indicating it had washed down from the headwaters of the creek.

1398063715_cairnsbeach1.jpg

Also spotted these dwarf pines mixed in with the native vegetation just south of Cairns, always a good indicator that the Chinese miners were about as they used to chew the pine nut husks and spit out the seeds. I've also checked the areas history since and it turns out they were there, need to scout the area for round shafts as the Chinese only ever cut round ones as they believed it would ward off the evil spirits that lurk in the corners. (sorry about the picture quality it was dark and I had to adjust the contrast so you could see the dwarf pine trees):

1398064998_cairnsresearch3.jpg

I'M down in mackay for the next 3 weeks.
Will try and catch up when I get back.
Cheers Kane
Also go see the miners den. Really helpful.

Ten ounce tony will be around somewhere.
Where in Cairns are you staying.

I'M down in mackay for the next 3 weeks.
Will try and catch up when I get back.
Cheers Kane
Also go see the miners den. Really helpful.

Sound good.
Don't know why it sent the same message twice.

Gday kane,
Top idea here mate, will try and gather together some of the articles and pics ive stockpiled on the region.
Maybe it'll inspire some new ideas and directions.
As a side note , I took a drive on sunday to check the creeks around edmonton. Still a fair amount of water in them and flowing quick but the cyclone deluge has shifted alot of gravel around. Will be worth a look once the rains stop.
Cheers TGW.

Decided to investigate the beaches again and this time found signs of beach sand mining.

What remains of an old long tom sluice used for beach mining, the long tom was designed to catch flour gold out of the sand.
The wood has rotted away ages ago so only the matting is left they used to use astro turf during the 70's, I use it in my sluice it works great:
1398401393_cairnsbeach9.jpg

They were made in three sections the first with a screen on top and a slick plate on the bottom like a hooper but only just slightly above and still part of the sluice. The sluice itself was slightly longer and wider than your average river style sluice and only had matting in them, no riffles. At the end they had a small box with riffles in it.

Here is what it would have looked like:
Long-tom.jpg

There are lots of variations of long toms sluices some as long as 30 feet. Heres some examples:
800px-Nome_beach_miners_1908.jpg

sluice.jpg

And another about 10 metres down the beach:
1398401494_cairnsbeach10.jpg

Also found good signs that there is gold in the area coming down from the mountains.

Greenstone:
1398401107_cairnsbeach4.jpg

1398401140_cairnsbeach5.jpg

Rat eaten Iron Quartz with smokey quartz inside and traces of gold:
1398401167_cairnsbeach6.jpg

1398401261_cairnsbeach7.jpg

1398401342_cairnsbeach8.jpg

gcause, good on you for starting that. I think you're right, there are quite a few of us up here.

Yep, Cairns area is full of history. I have done a fair bit of research since I got my detectors (most of it not for gold detecting, but just swinging in parks etc). There is a few good looking areas I've driven past on the highway, but I'm yet to investigate. Be nice if there was a half decent creek to go panning in, I have heard the Mulgrave up towards Goldsborough is an ok spot. Have been up there a few times swimming. I don't think the rangers up there would appreciate me setting up the sluice and pump. Haha.

Sand mining on the beach looks intersting too, didn't know that happened here! Like tone said, you have an eye for detail. Its funny what you see when you are actually looking...

Anyone know if there was ever any gold found in the Barron? I'm in Redlynch and its only 5min down the road.

Hi Chazza, there are a few stories about gold in the lower reaches of the Barron ie, below the falls, I have not looked so I cant say. there are a few guys on the tablelands between Kuranda and Mareeba that get gold out of the Barron and its tributaries, have a look on the reasearch page or google Cairns Gold and you will come up witha few links to check out.

Cheers, Tone

Sounds like its worth investigating, I have a mate whose block backs up onto the Barron up near Mareeba. Did a few pans and tried some crevicing on a rock bar with no luck. Need to try a few more places I think. I will definately have a look on the research page. Have used google a fair bit so far, lots of good info. I just need to get out there and do it!

Tried a small seasonal creek couple hundred metres from my house, got lots of black sand, no gold. But black sand means if there was gold there you're generally in the right area. Need to find a good spot to run my sluice, poor thing has been sitting idle for too long :)

Went out and investigated Gordonvale and Goldsborough on the weekend.

You didn't tell me this was croc country! :eek:

1398683151_crocsign1.jpg

Found evidence of the croc being there, tail drag mark on the shoreline:

1398683254_crocsign2.jpg

Did find this spot though just outside of the national forest boundary:

1398683303_cairnsriver.jpg

1398683371_cairnsriver1.jpg

1398683468_cairnsriver7.jpg

Don't think I would want to risk panning in this river, she's a bit wild at them moment :p

1398683406_cairnsriver6.jpg

Howdy chazza I too am in Redlynch.
There are a few spots to explore in the area.
When you have your 10 posts up send tone a message for our meet.
Think it will be at the fnq miners den.
We are trying to do a get together every month or two.
Might look into making it a monthly meet. Or make it an club thing.
FNQ prospecting club.

The area down Goldsborough way is pretty gnarlly, the areas where the gold was found back in the late 1800's and early 20th century are way back into the valley, they are all on private property from what I can gather from Google and IRTM. I went down there this time last year and found nothing. not even flood gold in the sand banks..

These fields were not overly productive as the majority of the field is capped in at least 20m of Basalt from the surrounding mountains and volcanic activity back in the day.

Better rewards are found other places.. As Kane says, we need to get together again..

Cheers, Tone

Well I just spoke to my older brother (the one who initially gave me this wonderful thing called "gold fever"), he tells me that he's found some colour up in Goldsborough. Not in the river bed itself but where the water runs when the river is up. He said he only found colours, but no matter how much sand he panned - nothing. Its all in the loamy stuff (I think thats what you call the sort of sandy/dirt).

And gcause, I'm not sure where that sign is, but I think up towards Goldsborough it is too cold for the reptiles. Haven't seen any sign of them myself (and I always check!) I have swum there before plenty of times, however you won't catch me swimming down around Gordanvale. Crocs have and are sighted there often enough for me to keep clear.

Catch up sounds good, and yes, better rewards are found at other places :)

There are crocs in the goldsborough/ mulgrave area, freshwater ones that are only dangerous during nesting season which is about august to september or if accidentally stepped on. Most likely the marks you saw were from canoe or kayak, the upper mulgrave river area is mostly wild so paddling to get to a fishing spot is easier than slogging through thick bush.
Still think there is good prospects to be had in that area aside from the old mine tailings, as gcause said theres no safe way across the river till the rains stop for the season.

Well hopefully. I should be back within 2 weeks.
And hope its down a bit for some exploring.
It's sunny in mackay and I'm sick to death of these midgies
Anyway let's try and organise a meet in about 3 weeks or so at the miners den.
Or I'm keen on some other locations for a meet.

Latest posts