exploration licence overlays in Victoria question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
I'm sure someone understands this better than i do and i have seen some info here in relation to this but i have a few specific questions. Firstly if an EL has expired does the last previous holder have any extra rights to object to any application for a new EL? Or PL for that matter?

Secondly where that EL is defined what are the obligations and rights they hold to access privately owned land that is within it's boundaries?

And lastly (for now) can a PL be granted inside the boundaries of an existing EL by a party separate to the holder of the Existing EL?

Any help appreciated, happy to take the queries to Depi just wanted to attempt to understand things a little better before i get there.

1 - No
2 - an access agreement must be reached with property owner before entering any private land
3 - yes, with permission of the EL holder or submission of an exemption form.

DD

DD is spot on with his answers.

Damn ELs, locks up the MLs to outside parties who do their homework. I cant imagine the holder of an EL allowing a PL or ML on their turf.

I guess it depends on the situation. Often an El will need to alter its boundaries, especially where multiple els are held by the same party, i assume the reasoning is fair play so that everyone has equal opportunity to access some land with prospects for mining, so the circumstances may suit to release a patch to extend another. The three questions aren't related really, just curiosity after reading some info regarding El and Pl guidelines and applying them to areas known to me. Of the most interest is an old El held for many years recently expired and i have since heard on the grapevine that a couple of parties are seeking a Pl on that land. I'm sure that this will cause a huge uproar considering the named parties own land privately with boundaries that were in dispute on a section that is gold bearing, and used to be inside the original El Boundaries, and much spite has transpired in times past. I'm expecting a tit for tat. But for now its hearsay, and definitely out of my meagre league.

My understanding on how this operates in Queensland is that a EL or EPM holder usually puts a EL on a number of blocks or sub blocks of land, each block is divided into 25 sub blocks, they have to state what minerals they are looking for, they also have to pay a fee to the crown for the EL. each year they may release sub blocks or blocks that they are not interested in as they are more than likely of no economical value for them to go on with.

You can apply for a mining Lease or claim or prospecting claim on land coverd by a EL, this is usually allowed as the big boys are not interested in alluvial, just not the economical return for them. You also need to get land holder approval or negotiate a fee for access, any native title issues need to be addressed and you also need to get EPA approvals..

My understanding is basic and only based on discussions with other lease holders. I have looked at getting a claim and a lease, it is a costly business..

Cheers, Tone

This is very interesting.....but now I'm a little confused

In Victoria, if an EL is held and it is current, and not producing and activity reports cause there hasn't been any to date and the land is marked as state forest.

My understanding is that I can prospect/fosick on that land within the bounds of my miners right..

Am I correct???

Cheers

There is no need to worry mate, an El doesn't stop you prospecting, nor does it entail any further obligations on your behalf in Victoria. Only in Ml areas do you have to obey restrictions which are defined clearly by the Vic gov. The only grey area is any defined work area within an El that is active, but for the most part its like a construction site, it will be fenced and signed.

Goldtarget said:
The only grey area is any defined work area within an El that is active, but for the most part its like a construction site, it will be fenced and signed.

I wouldn't say that GT i'm pretty sure you are not allowed to remove any minerals from an active EL, further there are EL's all around Victoria that are not fenced or clearly marked, ive only found two that had fences the rest i discovered either by going home and researching with GEOVIC or have seen small signs nailed to trees on the boundary. I'm sure someone with more EL experience might know the rights of the EL holder to the minerals.

going to ahve to eat humble pie on this one :( GT and the digger are spot on EL's dont seem to count for Didly squat

I'm glad I came across this thread, I seem to be on an old-thread-revive-a-thon.

So the answer to my question of whether a VIC Miner's Right allows me to prospect inside an EL is answered (Jeez you guys have it easy compared to down here!).

So presumably all I have to worry about is whether the land is available for fossicking for starters (crown land not in certain reserves). Is "Forest Explorer" still the best resource for that?

Cheers!

Miguel

Latest posts