Pink Almandine Garnets?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While panning a new area I found this pink stone among the garnets, I was wondering if Garnets could be this colour? I've put a normal Garnet from the area in the photo to show the difference.

1397784893_5img_4997e.jpg

It's only around 1mm but was easily seen in the pan.

I also found this tiny green stone and one that shows a little bit of blue.

1397785103_4img_4995e.jpg

Any ideas?

Pink is a very common colour for some garnet areas. They're more highly regarded within the jewelery trade, and fetch better prices than the red ones. Don't throw any large ones away ;)

Wal.

That's good to know :D, I searched pink garnets before I posted but they were all a fair bit darker pink, are the lighter pink still better than the red?. Though the biggest Garnet so far has been almost 5mm and that's my first pink so I don't like my chances :/ .

At first I was thinking tourmaline because of the green as well, any idea what the blue and green could be?

A tributary of the Nicholson, no where near as many Garnets as where I normally go at Bullumwaal/Merrijig, or gold so far.

The lighter the pink the better as a general rule when it comes to the jewelery trade. Same goes for the reds as the darker ones don't reflect as much light through the facets when cut and tend to look more black than red.

The green is more than likely olivine and the Nicholson has been known to carry a few very small sapphires. The blue from the pic seems to show a worn crystal edge on the right side and if this is the case my bet would be a small piece of corundum.( opaque sapphire). A larger pic showing the right hand side of that stone would make it easier to give an exact identification.

Wal.

That's surprising, I thought the magenta ones would be more sought after because that's all I could find photos of. I didn't expect Olivine in the area, I've only seen intrusive Igneous and Metamorphic rocks in the area. I'd post another photo but the blue stone now resides somewhere in the carpet thanks to my butter fingers while trying to shine a light through it :8 .

Red and magenta are the easiest to obtain and that's why there more common as a jewelery stone. The more purple or better still green versions of garnet are generally set in solitaire form and rarely seen amongst general dress jewelery. Olivine and the green forms of tourmaline are very common in most areas where gold and some gems are associated with pegmatite.

Wal.

Latest posts