THE NEWLY PROCLAIMED FOSSICKING AREA BARRINGTON TOPS

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think taking a walk in the reserve is against the rules.. might trip on a rock and put it in your pocket.. I hope to get over for a look about on the long weekend.. I went for a ride over to barra at the weekend and it was a very nice day.. We went over to the cobark creek bridge and on a bit and turned up mud hut road that took us back over to thunderbolts way.. Great way to get back to glousester and have a look about.. You have been doing some serious study on the area and I would like to meet up sooner than later to swap notes.. :)

Hi kawman mate, more heads and more exploring up there is definately a good thing, so info and ideas exchange would benefit us all.

Mudhut road is a nice way to get up to the bowman area too, we are going to check a few spots up there for gold in the far side state forest section with a line of mines showing the gold trend there up on the mountain.

Borneal creek had alluvial gold but access to the creek looks tough and it has a lease on half the state forest block there.
Went up recently and had been alot of burning off up there, looks alot different on the drive through cobark ect now.

Collected some lovely basalt samples from the road cut featured in lin Sutherlands book, on the way up the mountain that shows a great cross section of an early basalt flow down the mountain, with a later flow on top of it. The top flow is Columnar jointed basalt flow and the bottom is a block vesicular flow and honestly just being there one can picture how the platau was built up, although its a dangerous spot as rock slides happen abit there. Found some interesting things in the bottom basalt flow that may warrent poking around there abit more.
rod

good stuff.. we went for a cruise today into barrington tops and had a look about covering about 70% of the lower half of the fossicking area and back and across to Gloucester tops and back over to the Gloucester road.. we did not spend a lot of time in the creeks with the only interesting thing to report was finding a lot of fools gold in the very small creek and that runs into the dilgery river at the falls right next to the bridge whilst having breakfast.. nice spot. I will copy a geo map of the area with some very interesting places marked on it and send them to you.. I think you will be able to help unravel the cords so it can be plotted on google earth... :)

Hey retirement stone where did you get your walbanker from or did you custom make it and if so how much did it cost ?

Custom Made from info on this forum.

I bought a sheet of 3mm Aluminium of ebay for $100.

Its fairly heavy and as others suggest 1.5mm would be strong enough and half the weight of mine.

Cheers

RS

Hi guys,
I have just read through this thread and am needing some assistance. I am heading up to Barrington Tops this week from Ulladulla and am keen to have a dig with a mate who is a newbie to the game and is keen to have a go. I have tried to access the forestry maps that Kawman has posted but the links return a no find. I was just wondering if Rod, Retirement Stone or anyone else would be able to give me info of an area in which to start from and I can go from there. Not asking for your secret spots, just after an accessible creek within the boundaries to have a dig and get another poor sucker hooked on gems. lol. Any help would be appreciated as I have never ventured this far up and my research has stalled.
Thanks guys.

Bezza said:
Hi guys,
I have just read through this thread and am needing some assistance. I am heading up to Barrington Tops this week from Ulladulla and am keen to have a dig with a mate who is a newbie to the game and is keen to have a go. I have tried to access the forestry maps that Kawman has posted but the links return a no find. I was just wondering if Rod, Retirement Stone or anyone else would be able to give me info of an area in which to start from and I can go from there. Not asking for your secret spots, just after an accessible creek within the boundaries to have a dig and get another poor sucker hooked on gems. lol. Any help would be appreciated as I have never ventured this far up and my research has stalled.
Thanks guys.

Here's a link to the online map fossicking area boundary data but I can't seem to find the downloadable maps, they used be on there somewhere and were very detailed.

http://fcnsw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=db08e563e1b6403fabde1ce901389fa2

Also this link will give you every gem, gold and other mineral deposits for NSW as a google earth overlay, it shows the Barrinton Tops gem deposits. Just click on the little Earth symbol, top left of page where it says "our data in google earth" and open with google earth and all the data will be in the left hand side of google earth in an expandable menu with the heading heading of GSNSW. It's awesome info. Click on the deposits for extra info too. It will not work on phones or tablets you need to use a PC or laptop.

http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse

kawman said:
Here is a link to the map.. looks blurry untill you use the zoom feature to zero in on the area you want to see...very detailed... http://www.forestrycorporation.com....ing-area-map-barrington-tops-state-forest.pdf

Hi Kawman,
Did you have the hard copy of this map by any chance? The forestry corporations servers seemed to of died a horrible death and cannot find any suitable ones online.
If not all good I will continue to sieve through other online maps
Cheers

I really don't know either what happened to their maps, they had every forest listed at 1 stage with very very detailed info that was downloadable. Maybe they are trying to sell them now instead. :(

Hi, that was good info but that link isnt working can anyone please put up the map area so I can check it all out, thanks. :rainbow:

Latest posts