The Servern river near Emmaville??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, I am going to the Servern river in a few months time. I was just wondering if anyone on here has prospected in this area before, and if so did they do any good?

We are going down there for four days doing some cod fishing on private property, it's 12000 acres with about 8kms of the river running through it.
Last time we caught 74 cod in 3 days, all catch and release. This next trip I'd like to do some prospecting but I can't find any info relating the Servern and gold or gems.

Any info would be very helpful.

cheers :)

By the lack of responses I'm getting the feeling it might not be a hot spot.... I was hoping to hear it was a productive area for more than just cod fishing.

Well I'll be taking my gear down anyway coz the hunting for it is most of the joy for me, and there is a lot of hunting to do down there.

Goldagettin said:
By the lack of responses I'm getting the feeling it might not be a hot spot.... I was hoping to hear it was a productive area for more than just cod fishing.

Well I'll be taking my gear down anyway coz the hunting for it is most of the joy for me, and there is a lot of hunting to do down there.

Sorry mate dont know the place but i thought i would throw in a response so you dont feel sad :| , if you would like, i could drum up a heap of crap and tell you its a lightining hot spot!!!!! :D :( :D :( :D

Reeks: yeah mate it is.

dwt: Did you say it is a lightning hot spot..... YOU LITTLE RIPPER :D :p :lol:

Cheers mate I feel heaps better now... lol :)

The whole area is littered with sapphires the size of marbles, unfortunately some of them are invisible to the naked eye. ;)

Seriously though, there is colour in most of the creeks for a good hundred Km's around emmaville so the property you are on may give up some colour. Your best chance will be to find some local knowledge if there are wash layers on the property, as ideally you would want to work them or in the creek downstream from the exposed wash where a natural rock bar or a granite boulder section assists in concentrating the heavies.

If the property is located more on alluvial flats you may be pushing $@&t uphill and a trip to the GPAs or Billabong Blue may be more worthwhile.

I have not personally been to emmaville but have seen some nice stones from the area.

Have a great trip.

Added.......Might be worth dropping in to the emmaville mining museum

Emmaville
Emmaville Mining Museum.
Torrington
Torrington State Conservation Area Many fossicking sites available within the SCA including Blatherarm Camping Area. Fossick for quartz, topaz, beryl and a wide variety of other minerals.
Glenn Innes - Severn Shire LGA
Sara River - Former Fossicking Area No 20 Yarrow River
Boolabinda
Boolabinda Holiday Homestead offers fossicking on the Reddestone Creek. This is a "pay to dig" site for sapphire and zircon. http://www.boolabinda.com.au/
Bullock Mountain
Bullock Mountain Homestead offers fossicking on the Reddestone Creek for sapphire and zircon. This is a "pay to dig" site. http://www.bullockmountainhomestead.com
Dwyers
Dwyers on Yarrow Creek. This is a "pay to dig" site - honesty box on site. Fossick for sapphire, zircon and garnet. More information from the Glen Innes VIC.
Glencoe
Glencoe fossicking reserve on the Marowan Creek - public access site for sapphire and zircon.
Glen Rest Tourist Park
The Glen Rest caravan park offers on-site sapphire fossicking with buckets of wash available.
Kookabookra
Public access fossicking site - turn right at tennis courts before Sara River Bridge and followtrackto fencedarea through gate. Fossick for gold, topaz, sapphire and quartz.
Matheson
Matheson causeway on the Wellingrove Road. This is a public access, roadside fossicking site for sapphire and zircon.
Reddestone
Reddestone Creek Bridge on the Emmaville Road. This is a public access, roadside site.
Wellingrove
Wellingrove Fossicking Reserve. This is a "pay to dig" site for sapphire and zircon.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1571

Thanks Wally69. I will drop in to the emmaville mining museum for sure on our way in to camp.

Thanks Mbasko, they are some helpful links. After reading your reply my wife said we might need a few extra days down that way now. :)

Thanks guys :)

The Severn River should have Sapphires, Wellingrove and Camerons creek both flow into it. As Wally said the whole area has Sapphires for 100km, they can be anywhere from the surface down to 6m below the overburden. Have a look in creeks and gullies around the property, should be some interesting stuff there.

Latest posts