How often do you see Rangers or Police while Prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk recently in all states about getting permits and what you are and aren't allowed to do while looking for gold.

So I wanted to ask the question. How often do you see Rangers or Police in Prospecting areas? How many times vs. how many years/visits etc..
Do they walk over and check permits and your equipment and or belongings?

Just curious to hear the feedback.

I haven't seen Ranger yet. As for police, I go detecting to local parks and sports fields every morning at 5.30 am, weather permitting. I have seen police drive past me many times, but not once they stopped and ask what I'm doing.
Karl

I saw Ranger Bob just a week or 2 ago and yes he put me through the Spanish inquisition.........

He's the only one Police or Ranger I have ever seen, granted the last 5 - 10 km to one of my favourite places is quite tough and isolated I haven't even seen local cockies out there. This guy stopped me as I turned off the main track into the bush so I'm thinking he wasn't stopping me re: prospecting but he got lucky, well not that lucky cause I wasn't doing anything wrong or in the wrong place etc etc

Cheers

Depends on your prospecting location, head out to popular areas close to Bendigo and you will see them every day (rangers/parks officers) never had any serious issues with them though, most ive come accross are to bad a fellows.

dwt said:
Depends on your prospecting location, head out to popular areas close to Bendigo and you will see them every day (rangers/parks officers) never had any serious issues with them though, most ive come accross are to bad a fellows.

two bad fellows ... ? I'll stay away from Bendigo :D

casper said:
dwt said:

two bad fellows ... ? I'll stay away from Bendigo :D

WHOOPSIE i meant "arnt" "are not" > "kind of ok"> "could be classed as not to bad"> "nice enough">.....pheeew.... think that covers it ;)

I have never seen them out at Warwick but I do know from those who have talked with the rangers that they use trail cameras to keep track of people in the state forests out there. They are very well hidden, made to look just like bark on a tree. About six months ago they caught one fellow from the south side of Brisbane out in a non designated fossicking location at Warwick on camera and got his cars license plate and shots of him in his full metal detecting gear propecting in the wrong area. I heard from a local that they took his car, all his fossicking equipment, his fossicking license and he was given a hefty fine. So it's best just to do the right thing out there and stick to the designated areas or work private property like Glendon's where you have permission to fossick. Also remember even out at Glendon's you will need a fossicking license.

I was told yesterday that a heap of those cameras have been set up around Gympie at remote creeks and water pools to catch people hunting deer without a permit. Apparently catching people prospecting in these forests and national parks will be a welcome by catch.

Food for thought.

Only once. Miners right check. At least while prospecting. Head out on a bike in the forest and the chances of being inspected skyrocket. Couldn't count the amount of times I've been checked over. Never once fishing, but like the gold the best fish are out of everyday areas. In saying all of this i would like to encourage people to do the right thing though regardless, self regulate. I worry about posting this up in a public forum. It would be better left unasked IMO. That said in their own public submissions in Vic they have conceded that enforcement of regulations is drastically under manned and seldomly enforced. So selfregulate and apply best practice.

I was actually searching yesterday in a national park with my permit on me, a Park ranger drove up and parked about 20meters away and sat and had a cigaret then left, honestly thought he would of asked to see our permit but didn't

they are pretty thorough in creswick, sometimes people get asked on a friday night and again on a sunday, mostly thought they are concerned for people leaving their fires unattended as is a common practice at camp 3. I tell you what though they are going to war against 4wders and motorX went for a drive today they have cut and scull dragged trees to block every track out there. what's the point of going to all this work to make the place look like crap when you havent once put a single sign up to say "this track is not permitted for 4wd and motorbikes" not one........ I don't get it whos liable when a fire breaks out and all the fire tracks are blocked by trees

G0lddigg@ said:
they are pretty thorough in creswick, sometimes people get asked on a friday night and again on a sunday, mostly thought they are concerned for people leaving their fires unattended as is a common practice at camp 3. I tell you what though they are going to war against 4wders and motorX went for a drive today they have cut and scull dragged trees to block every track out there. what's the point of going to all this work to make the place look like crap when you havent once put a single sign up to say "this track is not permitted for 4wd and motorbikes" not one........ I don't get it whos liable when a fire breaks out and all the fire tracks are blocked by trees

who the **** would do that

do they actually have a right to make a personal decision to block fire trails without a reason thats based on law ?

have they broken any laws by blocking the trails that happen to be " public land for use by all members of the public " ?

I went to Maryborough VIC last year and visited the Parks office to get some info, the girl told me that the Rangers would be better able to answer my questions.

However, she also told me that they had 2 Rangers and 1 of them was on holiday, so the other was pretty busy.

That's an awful lot of forest for 2 guys, so, work it out.

As far as police are concerned, in the month I was there I rarely saw a cop on the road let alone in the forest.

I was also told that if you aren't supposed to be where you are and they catch you, pleading ignorance and being very polite will most likely get you a warning. However, they can confiscate equipment and prosecute.

I bet there would be some rangers who prospect/fossik themselves they probably don't care much till you find they're spots, but I reckon most will throw the book at you.
It's a shame the rules are so confusing with such harsh penalties it's just going to make people avoid or feel uncomfortable being near or seeing a ranger when it would benefit both prospectors and rangers to work together addressing other areas like dumping, even weed control I'm sure there's a few areas we could clear of pesky thorn bushes and prospect at the same time.

HeadsUp said:
G0lddigg@ said:

do they actually have a right to make a personal decision to block fire trails without a reason thats based on law ?

have they broken any laws by blocking the trails that happen to be " public land for use by all members of the public " ?

mate they are doing it everywhere...... there's at least 6 roads that have been blocked off its insane .....

I don't actually know any of the guys that have been doing it ive seen them driving around i always waive you get nothing.. my mate waved a parks bloke down last week because he was dragging a few metres of rope behind his truck. my mate kindly offered to tie it off for him and he just replied "whatever mate" and drove off. ... arrogance and yes these blokes are a bit younger than your average parks they don't seem to care that people come out to enjoy themselves and we all look out for each other.

My real concern at this stage is if there is a serious fire at camp 3 and the fire reaches the main road which joins camp 2/3 you have one other option and that's going up into the bush and if at any point of that road its blocked by fire your stuffed and if its a decent fire that track will get burned because its raised to the camp grounds and fire runs up hill real quick...

there's probably 6 fire break tracks along here that get you over the gully and i reckon ive seen nearly all bar 1 blocked. They first pushed dirt up to them to create a lip then dragged trees as well..... smart guys.. :mad:

My real concern at this stage is if there is a serious fire at camp 3 and the fire reaches the main road which joins camp 2/3 you have one other option and that's going up into the bush and if at any point of that road its blocked by fire your stuffed and if its a decent fire that track will get burned because its raised to the camp grounds and fire runs up hill real quick...

there's probably 6 fire break tracks along here that get you over the gully and i reckon ive seen nearly all bar 1 blocked. They first pushed dirt up to them to create a lip then dragged trees as well.....

Reminds me of boho, all good keeping people out until the locals need to be saved.

Dangerous practice, signage would be better at least advising that the tracks are impassable before someone hits the physical barrier. Did the backfill those holes and rake back the leaf litter?

G0lddigg@ said:
HeadsUp said:
G0lddigg@ said:

mate they are doing it everywhere...... there's at least 6 roads that have been blocked off its insane .....

I don't actually know any of the guys that have been doing it ive seen them driving around i always waive you get nothing.. my mate waved a parks bloke down last week because he was dragging a few metres of rope behind his truck. my mate kindly offered to tie it off for him and he just replied "whatever mate" and drove off. ... arrogance and yes these blokes are a bit younger than your average parks they don't seem to care that people come out to enjoy themselves and we all look out for each other.

there's probably 6 fire break tracks along here that get you over the gully and i reckon ive seen nearly all bar 1 blocked. They first pushed dirt up to them to create a lip then dragged trees as well..... smart guys.. :mad:

i dont know the area but is there another authority that can be contacted and ask if what they have done is illegal ?

and lodge a complaint with "the prospectors union"

perhaps a letter to them suggesting they will be sued if there are bushfire victims over their negligence / selfishness ?

it shouldnt be tolerated and i am sure there will be a solution .

dont suppose the rangers have a crop of dope to hide ? lol

gcause said:
I have never seen them out at Warwick but I do know from those who have talked with the rangers that they use trail cameras to keep track of people in the state forests out there. They are very well hidden, made to look just like bark on a tree. About six months ago they caught one fellow from the south side of Brisbane out in a non designated fossicking location at Warwick on camera and got his cars license plate and shots of him in his full metal detecting gear propecting in the wrong area. I heard from a local that they took his car, all his fossicking equipment, his fossicking license and he was given a hefty fine. So it's best just to do the right thing out there and stick to the designated areas or work private property like Glendon's where you have permission to fossick. Also remember even out at Glendon's you will need a fossicking license.

They took his car too? That seems pretty messed up. I can understand taking the prospecting equipment if they're doing the wrong thing, but people rely on their cars to do things like get to work, take their kids to school, etc. So if the guy loses his job because they took his car who ends up paying more?

Latest posts