Wee Jasper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin&Lee

Colin&Lee
Reaction score
Hi guy's

I have a million questions I know. Is anyone able to tell me if you are still able to fossick at Wee Jasper? and if you are is there a kind hearted person who could point us in the direction of the fossicking area. Wifey and I are thinking about doing an over nighter this Canberra day long weekend and it's a toss up between Tuena and/or Wee Jasper.

Cheers

Col :)

Hi Col..Wee jasper is getting almost impossible to fossick because the lousy blackberries choking the creek bed. I would go to Grabben Gullen or Tuena. :) If you still want a crack at bulldozing blackberries then here are the directions. Cross the bridge in Wee Jasper and turn Left. Follow through till the next "T" intersection and turn right on the Tumut road. Follow this windy road through the pine plantation till you come across a a set of High Voltage power lines...(around 20 mins) About 1 k past the power lines there's a gate on your right that's usually open. Go through this and turn left on first small track. ( only couple hundred metres from the gate). Creek is only 2 mins from gate..Take something to slash the blackberries..Cheers Wal, :)

Thanks Wal,

Blackberries are messing up everything. Might have to invest in one of those steel bladed whipper snipper things :D

Might have to flip a coin.

Be keen to see how you go Col...looking forward to a report either way...We got a new member today..."dozer"....I think I would try to invite him along ;) ....Cheers Wal :)

wait till winter and sort out the black berries with a few gallons of diesel and a match :) then the creek will be plenty accessible :) lol Greg.

Don't like your chances of getting on to the properties I fossick Greg.... :( These farmers drink the water and I fish in the streams for trout....Cheers Wal. :(

I was there a couple months back, Wal is spot on about the blackberries. I cut a nice track through them which should still be there. Here is a pic of the track an a bit of gold I panned.

b799fd31a530d601ad96c16398121e1e.jpg

3cf9ca947f63610cb07219b0dc09e419.jpg

I was only there one night, got this little sapphire too. Let me know if you need a map.

7f6712d656c7e51cd1e6cecd3b363011.jpg

DD

I am a regular prospector to Wee Jasper. Usually working the gold diggings above the creek.

You just have to cut the blackberries or puddle a lot.

Redmanti said:
I am a regular prospector to Wee Jasper. Usually working the gold diggings above the creek.

You just have to cut the blackberries or puddle a lot.

We're out that way a fair bit ourselves....might have to catch up on the creek one day....best of luck ,Cheers Wal. :)

A very nice area, did an overnighter there in Feb, coming from Grabine and going to Tumut,
1365376601_f119.jpg

Hi guys,
if anyone is heading down soon and likes to teach or in need of a little muscle please send me a message I would love to come along,
I'm a landscaper so digging holes is kinda my thing.
Cheers.

Love you invite letter capnwheato, :cool:

Hi guys,
if anyone is heading down soon and likes to teach or in need of a little muscle please send me a message I would love to come along,
I'm a landscaper so digging holes is kinda my thing.
Cheers.

Hi Guys,
I am interested in going to Wee Jasper, see if I can find some nice stones. Can anyone tell me if sluices are allowed. I have just purchased a G1 High banker and am keen to try it out. Also are dogs allowed in the area? I am from Bendigo in Victoria so do not want to make a long trip for nothing. I did a weekend trip to Grabben Gullen recently and found a nice blue, 5.2 carats just working with sieves. Should I just go back there to try the high banker? Any advice would be appreciated.

G'day ollie01, welcome to the forum mate.

You can use a sluice at Wee Jasper you are not permitted to use a High banker as it is a state forest. You will also need a fossicking permit from either the Tumut or Dubbo forestry office/s. This area is also under pastoral lease so not sure on the dog aspect at Wee Jasper.

As for the public area at GG, I guess dog's are ok just be mindful that the area either side of the bridge is private property and the owner has upwards of half a dozen working dogs that roam the area freely. Very friendly dogs just not sure how they would interact with other dogs. Also bear in mind that he has stock so please keep an eye on your pooch/s so it doesn't cause a nuisance. I can't see any dramas with running a H/B out there as long as you follow NSW fossicking regs and don't dig into the banks etc or trespass. We H/B out that way and haven't had any dramas yet.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers

C&L

I haven't looked at the rules recently, but since when aren't you allowed to highbankers in state forest? You were allowed to last year when I checked.

DD

Latest posts