small clear stones in what looked like decayed kimberlite clay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

Reaction score
My father and i recently checked a spot in what we believed to be an old volcanoe with a river now running through it.
After getting into some crevices i decided to dig some nice spots up the bank abit. About 3-4 feet down hit the bluest clay i have ever seen, so blue it really caught my eye. So we dug the wash above it and dug the 1-2 foot clay layer aswell, sieved them, checked the larger material( nothing there) and ran the smaller material through our home made river sluices, and brought the concentrate home.
Once home we found some interesting small things, more than likely quartz but very pretty no less
Will post some pics once i figure it out lol
Rod

1395825224_yellow_1a.jpg

1395825302_yellow_1e.jpg

1395825328_yellow_2a.jpg

Yellows first, i hope this works

Still yet to sort the stones, but a few have some really nice shape, here is a bigger clear piece

1395825863_clearpiece1.jpg

Cheers for the info headbut m8 and will do jethro. I really need to sort the stones as i dont have pics of the best yet, there are some small pyramid on pyramid shaped stones, and we found some other really weird things i will post more pics of
Rod

Knowing the area would help a lot . Basically all of them are quartz, except for your last lot of pics. The first orange one is also a bit strange.
In the last lot of pics the first one looks like volcanic glass (obsidian ) identified by the black colour and conchoidal fractures.
Pics 6-9 are not natural, they look like a mercury amalgam or something melted.

DD

Hi everyone ands ty for the replies, we are in port stephens and are exploring barrington to new england over time, this lot came from closer to glouster, please excuse my terrible spelling. Also the pics are extremely poor and under white led light, will get some better pics under natural light.
Thanks again for the info, will get back on tommorrow with more pics and replies.
Rod

Hi Diggerdude and thanks for the info, i thought the clears where mostly quartz but some had such weird shapes compared to the others, and then we got a bunch of unknowns i will post pics of.

Hi Colin&Lee, we dont mind giving the exact local, it was on the kerrapit, right down the end of the crater looking range, its a great spot to take the kids so we took our gear aswell and found some weird geology lol, will post some pics of the river. Not much if any gold left there but lovely spot no less.
We are planning on exploring most of the area up there and will happily keep all informed here.

Anyways thanks again for the replies and advice, will post some better pics soon.
Rod

Latest posts