I found this beauty at Grabben Gullen

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Test panned a few spots and picked up this one. My first time so had to ask Wal for directions. Had mum with me so couldn't go far from the camp site.

Im so stoked so thanks again. The stone im assuming is a Sapphire, its jelly bean dark green and about the size of half a peanut. Scales are broken so cant weigh it yet.

Turns almost yellow under light so really weird. If anyone can shed some light if its a sapphire and what would the colour would be called?

Also a pic of mum with the banker....still sifting thru those cons but nothing to write about from that session.

1395813431_greensaph1a.jpg

1395813455_greensaph1b.jpg

1395813476_greensaph1d.jpg

1395813498_greensaph1c.jpg

Great setup mate, did you build it yourself? Also well done on spotting the Sapphire, I most likely would have mistakenly tossed it as just another rock :lol:.

Thank Nugget, the stone while very dark stood out like dogs balls. Its the Blue saphs that are much harder to spot.

Its just amazing when the light goes on it how massive the colour change is to a bright yellow even though in the pics its still a bit greenish, in real life much brighter yellowy.

The banker is Wal inspired, my first home made attempt and made the extension specifically for Sapphires. The banker usually finishes at the red bread crate so with 3 screws added another foot or so of tray and used the bottom of a Milk crate while I try to get the right mesh. Ive got a video but never posted one before so will look into that.

I get my Nundle Sapphire back this week! 1.93 carat cut

Digginholes said:
Is this spot near the public fossiking area where the bridge is?

Yep, about 200m up stream in the flogged section! Just goes to show that while the smart operators go deep into the jungle, you don't always have to leg it to find something nice. I can say though it was really the only stone I got other than some tiny mish mash. Id estimate 5 carat, will let you know when the new scales arrive from hong kong. And found just test panning with the sieves, not highbanking.

Mate ,now that is a ripper :D

Look out I can see an addiction c'mon on :)

And to have your mum there enjoying it all with you,these times are priceless !!

Varts...

Varts said:
Mate ,now that is a ripper :D

Look out I can see an addiction c'mon on :)

And to have your mum there enjoying it all with you,these times are priceless !!

Varts...

Thanks Varts, yep made my weekend! Not too many hobbies where mums been keen to check out. She now has the eagle eye trying to light up every rock we brought home. While I had to compromise on where to look for gems, how can you value quality time spent with mum!

Now check out the smile on her face......that is priceless!

1395824557_mumgg.jpg

very nice. my mum and i were sifting through a bucket the bought back from Rubyvale, out in the sunshine she nearly missed a real beauty, keep on the look for champagne coloured sapphires too, they look like normal sand, upon closer inspection when i spot it in the sunshine found it. It then got cut into the most beautiful dress ring.

GoldCheddar2005 said:
very nice. my mum and i were sifting through a bucket the bought back from Rubyvale, out in the sunshine she nearly missed a real beauty, keep on the look for champagne coloured sapphires too, they look like normal sand, upon closer inspection when i spot it in the sunshine found it. It then got cut into the most beautiful dress ring.

Id love to see what the champagne sapphires look like, it can be very hard to work out whats quartz and whats saph etc

My mother currently has it, however it was distinct. Although at first it looked like sand, I had a loupe at the time in my dissection kit, which is how we realised it was different, and only the size of a coloured dressmakers pinhead. They are literally all colours. The direct sunshine revealed its difference too, midday sun. Which is how I found gold on the ground, at the dam. Plain eyesight, I do get called hawkeye!

It's a great spot even with out finding a big one, I got mostly tiny stuff but I did get a couple if decent ones (I think) and one bomb same size as your one above
Did you find any gold in your sluice?

Twapster said:
Test panned a few spots and picked up this one. My first time so had to ask Wal for directions. Had mum with me so couldn't go far from the camp site.

Im so stoked so thanks again. The stone im assuming is a Sapphire, its jelly bean dark green and about the size of half a peanut. Scales are broken so cant weigh it yet.

Turns almost yellow under light so really weird. If anyone can shed some light if its a sapphire and what would the colour would be called?

Also a pic of mum with the banker....still sifting thru those cons but nothing to write about from that session.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1395813431_greensaph1a.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1395813455_greensaph1b.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1395813476_greensaph1d.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1395813498_greensaph1c.jpg

Nice stone Pete. Big enough to cut?

Twapster said:
Thank Nugget, the stone while very dark stood out like dogs balls. Its the Blue saphs that are much harder to spot.

Its just amazing when the light goes on it how massive the colour change is to a bright yellow even though in the pics its still a bit greenish, in real life much brighter yellowy.

The banker is Wal inspired, my first home made attempt and made the extension specifically for Sapphires. The banker usually finishes at the red bread crate so with 3 screws added another foot or so of tray and used the bottom of a Milk crate while I try to get the right mesh. Ive got a video but never posted one before so will look into that.

Dont forget to show us the before and after shots of the nundle saf please.

kleinman98 said:
Twapster said:

Dont forget to show us the before and after shots of the nundle saf please.

Yep definitely a cutter John, and ive made sure about taking before pics so I can show them with the cut pics.

The Nundle Sapphire arrives back this week so have the before and hopefully after pics. It was 5.9carat uncut and 1.93 cut. The GG stone actually looks a little bigger but am waiting on scales.

Digginholes said:
It's a great spot even with out finding a big one, I got mostly tiny stuff but I did get a couple if decent ones (I think) and one bomb same size as your one above
Did you find any gold in your sluice?

U know I haven't even checked for gold yet, wasn't really interested would you believe! I don't expect much and its also full of pyrites. When I get really bored at home ill pan the dirt out and see if there is a spec or two. When ur looking for a $500+ stone, the gold just doesn't seem so important. lol

Lovely stone, i only hope we can find some like it up here, love the colour especialy. Great find and great setup
Rod

Latest posts