Ghost Towns in WA.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76drew76

Andrew Denham
Reaction score
The historical society in my local town compiled a list of Ghost towns in WA. I'm not sure if it covers all of WA because I have just looked at the ones closest to me but I do know that this list would be great for treasure seekers and gold hunters alike. I have checked out a few of the smaller ones on this list close to my home that were railway sidings for cropping and stock movements back in the day. Some of the foundations are still visible and I have found them challenging and great places to detect. For a lot of places on the list there are Lat/Long coordinates as well as a brief history and people who lived and worked in the towns. I have found it a very interesting read as I hope you will.

Cheers......

http://members.westnet.com.au/caladenia/ghosttowns-intro.html

76drew76 said:
The historical society in my local town compiled a list of Ghost towns in WA. I'm not sure if it covers all of WA because I have just looked at the ones closest to me but I do know that this list would be great for treasure seekers and gold hunters alike. I have checked out a few of the smaller ones on this list close to my home that were railway sidings for cropping and stock movements back in the day. Some of the foundations are still visible and I have found them challenging and great places to detect. For a lot of places on the list there are Lat/Long coordinates as well as a brief history and people who lived and worked in the towns. I have found it a very interesting read as I hope you will.

Cheers......

That's a great site lots of info, thanks very much for taking the trouble to post it & for sharing it .

Gidday all,

Over here in WA poking around and went up to Kanowna from Kal for a look see as I am a history nut and never had the time to look around the old town before on previous WA visits.
Kanowna is about 19km North ish from Kal and was once a town that had 12,000 souls in its hey day at the turn of the 20th century.
I have to say that I was expecting to see some old structure but alas you would never know it ever existed say for some mullock heaps and a nearby mining camp(current)
It looks as if a group of keen locals put up signs as to some long past and removed building sites back in the early 90's but they too are in ruin and intelligible or stolen. Sad. They will probably never be replaced and this place will truly become a ghost town ( or empty land)
We drove around for a few hours and pieced together what once was, from old references we brought with us including the famous cemetery rush which we walked through. Too many kids graves for my liking.

Well its sad our history is disappearing, but I can say I have been there now . Its very much like the old town site of Nannine.

Im off to Siberia amongst other places and will get out the detector shortly and see how I get on. Had a singlet on today bit warmer than cold old Vic this time of year. It was a pleasant and sunny 18 degrees. :)
GT

Spent a year living in WA and found my first WA gold at Kanowna, was so impressed we hit the joint for 3 months strait during the heat of summer. Being so close to Kal one would have thought it flogged out. Not the case....the gold we found there gave us a leg up to travel throughout the other regions..Laverton...Leonora.
Couple pics from our first outings there.

Nice little sunbaker.

I used to do a lot of work at Golden Ridge just south of kal, also was a town of thousands and now nothing. Whole town used to have functions underground

most ghost towns are either wrecked, mined or fenced off as part of a mine.
Gives me the absolute grrrrrrs.
Would be wonderful to have the sites intact for a look see.
Spent sometime in Coolgardie and Kal a few weeks ago and went out to quite a few old mining towns, but alas mostly destroyed.
I have a book on Ghost towns of WA.

GT :)

Cheers......

Hi Andrew, Could you tell me which local town supplied this as Westnet refuses to pass on messages to "caladenia". And contact details . Regards Ian - research at https://www.fhwa.org.au/

Latest posts