What to look for when panning and detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good greenstone pic

m23.jpg

Tonnes of it here

Heathcote, Victoria has miles of Greenstone as Diggerdude mentioned, there is a wine/coffee shop on the south side of the McIver Highway that has a sample in the shop. We are close to Heathcote and visited there to look for some jasper, picked up some nice samples. Cheers

Nice to see my hard won information doing the rounds on the forums. :)

Glad it has been of use to some folks.

Here is the original post.

www detectingwestaustraliangold com / t1150-gold-bearing-country-signs

Sorry I am under the ten post limit so it won't allow me to post the URL directly.

Hope to meet you all out on the goldfields some day.

Thanks for posting this valuable and extremely informative information. I have a mind like a sponge, always needing info, always welcoming more info and never getting enough. There's so much to learn and the person who declares to know absolutely everything, in reality knows nothing.

We will learn until the day we die and even then, we would have only scraped the tip of the iceberg. :)

Great stuff - I've printed this out and laminated it so it can accompany us on our travels....

doug said:
Great stuff - I've printed this out and laminated it so it can accompany us on our travels....

I have done the same for it is well worth have a copy while out in the field for we would forget it all thanks to all on all the info it has helped heaps :)

thanks heaps . i need all the help i can get. i was more interested in relics at 1st but i'm getting a bit of a itch to try the gold game but have much to learn.

Some great info... Need to continue to read and remember these whilst out digging!!

:) Thanks for spending the time to write an extremely informative piece of information which will be a great guide to a lot of newbies entering into our hobby again thanks.
Cheers
Dave.m

That's awesome info guys, I'm fairly new to the game.

I really appreciate this kind of stuff, thank you.

Thanks for all the tips Mystyk59! you've just doubled my prospecting knowledge! cheers mate! :D

While doing some research for a upcoming adventure . I came across some information which will help the new hand at prospecting no end if they so desire. I have posted the links in other lines of post but I feel the information is much better suited in this section. These books were put tougher for the Victorian prospector but the information in Virgin gold how to win it, Getting gold & The gold digger's guide will stand true in any gold field in Australia.

Suggestions to prospectors

PDF Book http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/94275

Virgin gold how to win it.

PDF Book http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/85265

Getting gold : an ABC of prospecting in Australia explaining in simple, non-technical language, the methods of getting gold by means of panning, cradling, puddling, dollying,

CONTENTS. Introduction. Page

Chapter 1. Setting Out....................................................................... 1
Chapter 2. The Field of Operations................................................ 4
Chapter 3. Tools of the Trade........................................................... 8
Chapter 4. Tools of the Trade (Continued).................................. 12
Chapter 5. Hydraulic Mining........................................................... 15
Chapter 6. How Gold is Formed.................................................... 17
Chapter 7. Some Notes on Victorian Goldfields........................... 20
Chapter 8. State Batteries................................................................ 27
Chapter 9. Miners rights................................................................. 29
Chapter 10. Some Extracts From the Mining By-law s.................. 30
A Glossary of Some Terms Commonly Used Fossicking.............................
ILLUSTRATIONS. Page
Cradle..................................................................................................................... 2
Dolly....................................................................................................................... 6
Dish .............................................................................................................................. 9
Sluices.................................................................................................................... 13
Puddling Machine............................................................................................... 15
The Whip.............................................................................................................. 19
Puddling T u b ....................................................................................................... 22
Windlass................................................................................................................

PDF Book http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/156878

The gold digger's guide, or, Practical mining made easy / by H.V. Rogers.

C O N T E N T S .

Introduction

Origin of Gold.
Alluvial Gold
Volcanic Workings
Methodical Prospecting
How to Work Surfacing
Deep Sinking.
Wet Sinking
Color of Gold
How to Drive
Descriptions of Alluvial Bottoms