You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Mystyk59
28 February 2013 10:32 am

A mate of ours posted this on our page on facebook and i thought  it might be useful for some of those starting out cool

1. Look for greenstone, most of the worlds biggest gold deposits occur where you find greenstone. It indicates that the rock was hot enough to create the right conditions for gold to form.

2. Look for quartz, specifically look for rose quartz. Again a good indicator that it was hot enough for gold to form. Black quartz by the way indicates there was radiation in the ground when the quartz formed so they look for that when they are mining uranium ore.

3. Look for scrubby country with short vegetation growth as that can indicate the bedrock is shallow.

4. Look for old creek beds near current creeks. The creeks will change their course over millions of years.

5. Look for gold on the bends in the creeks, specifically look for what direction the water is flowing in and then look on the banks in the bends of the creeks where the gravel / sand has built up that is facing the direction of the water flow.

6. Keep an eye out for Dwarf pine trees they dont grow much beyond about a metre high. These are a good indicator that the chinese miners have been around the area as they used to bring in pine nut and chew the husks off these and spit out the seeds.

7. Think what a lump of really heavy gold would do in the area you are looking in. Gold is 19 times heavier than water. It will sink to the bottom as soon as it has the opportunity to do so. If the water is flowing really quickly in a creek look for areas where it slows down or there are eddy currents.

8. Look for ironbark the bigger, thicker and darker the black trunk of the ironbark the more likely there is an underground water source. Which was most likely an ancient creek or river in the area.

9. Look for treelines i.e. rows of trees growing by themselves in scrubby country. This again could show an ancient water course now underground.

10. Look for old diggings, specifically look for tailings piles i.e. big mounds around the old diggings. These may now be covered in grass and weeds but you will recognise them as not being natural features. The old timers didnt have access to the technology we have today so missed some of the gold in their tailings.

11. Make sure to look around tree roots as gold often gets caught up in these. Some of the biggest nuggets have been found in tree roots.

12. Gold reefs will follow a particular direction usually North to South. Try and find old maps showing the reefs for the area you are interested in.

13. Do your research, look up geo maps for the area you want to prospect in, try and get old newspaper articles for the area. Talk to the locals. Ask the department of mines for assistance.

14. In creek beds look for large rocks that have blocked the course of the water and then excavate behind these on the opposite side to the water flow as they will create eddy currents behind them where the gold can drop.

15. Look for any coloured agate in the area again this can indicate it was hot enough to create gold. The clearer the agate the better.

16. In creek beds look under the roots of grasses on the banks as these form natural riffles.

17. In creek beds look for layers of bedrock/reefs that form natural riffles across the creek and across the flow of the water. These are great for crevicing with a screwdriver or other thin metal tool to get the gold out of the crevices between the layers of rock.

18. In creek beds always look up the banks, you will usually find the water has changed its level over millions of years so the original creek bed may be half way up the bank. You will see the layers of sediment and then gravel and large rounded stone where the old creek bed used to be. Dig under the layer of stone to find the gold. Don't undermine the bank do so as it can be very dangerous.

19. Where the edge of cliffs are exposed always have a look at the layers of geology to determine the amount of top soil that you will have to dig through to get to bedrock or gravel layers.

20. It can be more productive to take buckets of soil away with you and process them at home rather than doing it on the day. This way you can take your time to process them to ensure you get the fine flour gold out of them. Make sure you take the non gold bearing material back to where you got the material from and fill in your holes with it.

21. Dig every target sound you get with your metal detector. Even junk can tell you if the old timers have been in an area and you might find some nice relics along the way.

22. Fill in your holes or the gold gods will prevent you from finding gold in the future :-)

A.K.A  (Muleman )  Gpx 4000, , 10x5 coiltek , 12x7 nfa, 14x9 Coiltek , 16" round Coiltek, 17x11 NFA (all monos)Rooster booster and a lot of determination and patience !

104 users like this post: Bulldog, Nugget, WalnLiz, Prospector steve, franma, grasshoppernt, spinifex, Rambling rude, Ozjono, drbob, Marsie, Dogmatic, MinnesotaAU, headbut, Brother, two_point_five, Balx, Matt The Magic Man, Keen Ken, Lyro, adamaus, goldenhodge, gtsjeff, WickedWaz, Melmac, changthai, kleinman98, casper, Bushranger, Cuckoowaif, slowflow, Highway1, SirDigsALot, Dozer, Tathradj, yass00_Au, muzz, sledcanada, GMT Bandit, malco, mattallwood, noncents, cinken, Ivo, Flyeroz, Jin, mond, Keano, Mackka, Dug, gedanate, DeckyDan, kathy, SunriseBoy, Roverrock, josmarc999, Karen, gypsywomen, M3talmiliti4, Solid Luck, atj14, Explorer385, laminated quartz, Old Fred, Kai, Danny13, Allways Looking, aussiefarmer, kurra, OnePatientMiner, diggit, cruiser1, Cabcaz, AussieChris, Shaz, bhogg, Shane89, Secret Squirrels, Mike Marsupial, rom, aussieroger, Campfish4x4, rickgpx5000, Crushed, WhiteyCQ, Aussiedigs, Wheremuhgoldat, manfromironbark, Panny McGee, roundtuit, shakergt, brucee, Spyhunter, Frankdonovan121, Retirement Stone, PRLake, Peter R, Miss_tina64, Jeff, yella fella, dirtdiggin, ken2m, Drovers dog, Topenda

dave14110
28 February 2013 12:26 pm

Great post Mystyk59, The best what to look for post I've seen.

Detectors Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab Gp Extreme, GPX 5000, Whites surf pro, Fisher 1280x, CTX 3030. + more.

2 users like this post: Mystyk59, Yellow fever

elrodeo
28 February 2013 12:37 pm

Great info , clear and to the point !

1 user likes this post: Mystyk59

Mystyk59
28 February 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks, I got it from a mate ,  Bill  cool

A.K.A  (Muleman )  Gpx 4000, , 10x5 coiltek , 12x7 nfa, 14x9 Coiltek , 16" round Coiltek, 17x11 NFA (all monos)Rooster booster and a lot of determination and patience !

Hunting the yellow
28 February 2013 01:29 pm

great imfo m8 big_smile

A dream written down with a date becomes a goal a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan a plan backed by action becomes reality.

tagalt
28 February 2013 02:06 pm

great info. thanks

Goldandsand
28 February 2013 06:15 pm

Thanks great help well done

At pro international,sand scoops,garrett pro-pointer,minelab 4500 &SD 2200d,excalibur ii, various digging tools,pans and sluice

kemjak57
28 February 2013 06:57 pm

thanks MystyK, I have just started to fiddle around in a creek in the rainforest 5 minutes from home. It looks like the Chinese have worked as the rocks that they moved are stacked neatly to form a wall. This is the way they mined in the Palmer River area. I have been checking the banks as the article suggests and with the extra info in your post I think I may come across something of value soon. Cheers Rick.

Get a life! Start prospecting........

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 12:10 pm

Great Post, interesting points about the tree diameters..
cheers Rudy.

Keeping on the trail. Gpx 5000, severl pans a highbanker setup and no time to use them.

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 12:55 pm

Here are some pics of my last trip out to the hills, My brother and i were working our way up a small gully
and found a small opening, when we got down on our knees and crawled in a little it opened up a bit and
just using the light from the phone, could see that water must of been in there by the marks on the walls.
also noticed no foot prints of any kind...we didnt go in too far but next time will be better prepared.
Nice looking quartz line through the roof.. smile
cheers rudy

Keeping on the trail. Gpx 5000, severl pans a highbanker setup and no time to use them.

Nugget
18 March 2013 01:11 pm

Hey Rambling rude, I just upgraded your account which enables link / image posting. Let me know if you have any issues. Cheers, Nugget.

1 user likes this post: T & K

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 03:08 pm

Thanks Nugget, I'll give it a crack

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 03:59 pm

this is something else to look out for..

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 04:07 pm

1363583126_img_0236-optimized.jpg1363583002_img_0237-optimized.jpg1363583050_img_0242-optimized.jpg1363583180_img_0241-optimized.jpg

7 users like this post: jenmal, T & K, aussiefarmer, dirtdiggin, Panny McGee, PRLake, Mackka

Nugget
18 March 2013 09:32 pm

Great pics mate, did you go right in for a looksy?

Rambling rude
18 March 2013 11:00 pm

Only a couple of meters, I will have some extra lighting next time out and give it a
Good going over. Back up on the main ridge there is a quartz line appx 2ft thick
Which is what I'm guessing they tried to intersect.
You might see it on the first photo
That's my bro in the photo, he was down from palm cove for a few days..
Cheers Rudy

Nikos
22 March 2013 01:15 am

Guys in this passage..

1. Look for greenstone, most of the worlds biggest gold deposits occur where you find greenstone. It indicates that the rock was hot enough to create the right conditions for gold to form.

What do u mean by greenstone?.

Keene sluice..pans..TDI OZ Pro ..what an awesome pastime this is. you not only get to meet some great people, you hunt for gems and nugget and get healthy at the same time as well

Adam
23 March 2013 11:49 am

Nikos wrote:

Guys in this passage..

What do u mean by greenstone?.

Greenstone =nephrite jade.  You can buy jewellery and souvenirs made from it when in New Zealand, though they have strict rules on removing it from the ground i believe.

Bet you it's a shotgun pellet......Minelab GPX4000, 11" DD, Coiltek 14" mono.

1 user likes this post: Blinkie

Rambling rude
23 March 2013 02:50 pm

I will be having a close look at everything in there..
Hopefully I will find some yellow as well as greenstone.
Cheers rudy

Adam87
27 March 2013 05:53 pm

Thanks so much for the tips, they really helped smile

Diggerdude
Banned
Banned
27 March 2013 06:33 pm

Greenstone= jade?? Don't reckon that's correct.  Maybe in nz.

Most of the greenstone belts associated with gold in Aus are ancient basalt. ( it is not an actual rock type but rather a term used for metamorphised belts of basalt and granite ). They are often heavily folded from continental movement and intruded by granites. Because of there extreme age they often have lots of cracks that have been filled with quartz, long after the basalt formed. So it also has nothing to do with the temperature of the rock. This is where you often get gold disseminated though the greenstone near the contact with quartz.

Hope this clears it up for you all.

DD

6 users like this post: Mystyk59, drbob, Melmac, dirtdiggin, Panny McGee, PRLake

TenOunce Tone
27 March 2013 08:39 pm

Great info, knowing where to look is half the battle!

One man, One pan, One goal!

Nikos
01 April 2013 09:42 pm

Sweet..thanks heaps for the info..

Keene sluice..pans..TDI OZ Pro ..what an awesome pastime this is. you not only get to meet some great people, you hunt for gems and nugget and get healthy at the same time as well

Nug4me2
24 April 2013 09:47 pm

Yeh great info. All helps when your checking out the bush wondering if there could be gold in this area!

Nowra base, detect Oallen,Sofala,Tuena, Bathurst.  GPX 4500, Minelab Pro Find Pinpointer

Mitch59
25 April 2013 09:46 am

thanks for the great info and pics

Growing Old Disgracefully