Bucket sieve

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XTMess said:
I am a new fossicker this looks great for low cost seive. One questions wheres a great place to buy wire mesh and what size should I ask for. Gem fossicking

Metal fabrication workshops. We have so much mesh on a pallet out the back its ridiculous. Most of it is slightly too small to do what we want when we go looking for a piece lol. Try onethat does trailer work they'll have a piece laying around that'll do the job.

As for buckets, try bakerys - Bakers Delight, Brumbys, Coles, Woolies etc - all the fondant comes in 10L buckets and the mock cream in a 4.5kg tub, I'd guess around 5 litres. Have bucketloads of the things( :lol: ) all free as they just throw them out.

Ben78 said:
XTMess said:
I am a new fossicker this looks great for low cost seive. One questions wheres a great place to buy wire mesh and what size should I ask for. Gem fossicking

Metal fabrication workshops. We have so much mesh on a pallet out the back its ridiculous. Most of it is slightly too small to do what we want when we go looking for a piece lol. Try onethat does trailer work they'll have a piece laying around that'll do the job.

As for buckets, try bakerys - Bakers Delight, Brumbys, Coles, Woolies etc - all the fondant comes in 10L buckets and the mock cream in a 4.5kg tub, I'd guess around 5 litres. Have bucketloads of the things( :lol: ) all free as they just throw them out.

The other place you can get buckets is McDonalds. They get their pickles delivered in it.

backcreek said:
This is where the original idea came from.

Spot on BC that's where I seen it.
Like I said in my post - I never invented it ;)

Must say this thing is one of the best things in my kit tho.
The amount of volume you can process compared to regular sieves is huge.

Don't leave home without one :D

AG man, thanks for sharing. I got couple of new buckets today and will attempt to make one. Now I just need the mesh but this stuff seems to be very hard to find.

Not sure where you'd buy the mesh from...
I got some from the tip & some from a clean up job.
Guess a farm depot/grain store place or Bunnings might have it.
Sort of looks the stuff you make a rabbit cage out of.

Ag Man said:
Not sure where you'd buy the mesh from...
I got some from the tip & some from a clean up job.
Guess a farm depot/grain store place or Bunnings might have it.
Sort of looks the stuff you make a rabbit cage out of.

Thanks AG man, I have a mate that has a pet store. He will have some.

Good description bro. :)
Ive saved mine until now. The other classfier just died.
So ill be building that one real soon.
That sluice i built will be thankful :)

Thanks for this Ag Man. I'll be checking out Maccas as well as KFC tomorrow. I know KFC has the 20L buckets as their Miracle Whip comes in them. Yet another project on my list, I'll just check how many sickies I have left, got a feeling I'm gonna need heaps :D

You can buy the 1/2 inch mesh at bunnings, if you go to the area where they have the star pickets and such in the garden section... you should see a sheet i think its 600x 1200 or so,
they also sell 20 l bucekts for $4 dollars or so.

Cheers, Tone

1378467097_optimized-img_4120.jpg

Hey, Ag Man. I made one of these yesterday. I went bit heavy with the liquid nails but it works. Thanks. :)

Thanks AgMad for starting this post.
The bucket sieve is one of the best items in my arsenal !
They are the fastest non mechanical classifier around. Much better then manufactured sieves.
Here is my handy work made from off cut gal perf. 12mm holes.

If your into sluicing put one of these on your bucket list...
1404635510_image.jpg

1404635541_image.jpg

Ryan27 said:
Thanks AgMad for starting this post.
The bucket sieve is one of the best items in my arsenal !
They are the fastest non mechanical classifier around. Much better then manufactured sieves.
Here is my handy work made from off cut gal perf. 12mm holes.

If your into sluicing put one of these on your bucket list...
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1074/1404635510_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1074/1404635541_image.jpg

I agree

here is mine from stainless.

rgds

Barry

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1112/1396331590_dscn2119.jpg

Sparra said:
Could you just drill a series of holes,different sizes in different buckets for different grades???
Absolutely! It helps if the sieve has good clearance inside your collection bucket/s

Great work Bazza2210,
I like your craft! I plan to make a couple more to speed up production.