How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one on there now for $3500 brand new...Don't know how to link it but it has no picture's...It does have a phone number and name and the seller is also selling a few other things...

im looking into a gpx4500, should i be worried about fakes with that model?

There were certainly some fake 4500 talked about a few years back. Google "fake gpx 4500" (with quotes to get the full phrase) and this will bring up the discussions.

There was also a large overseas shipment stolen. Minelab has a list of the serial numbers. These are real though.

"This is now on Trading Post for $450.00"

$450 was the price they were being sold for from the Chinese manufacturer according to various forum discussions. A fancy vlf perhaps??

Minelab also has a comparison of real and fake coils. I wonder what's inside the cases?

There's obviously a sufficient market out there that is worth someone tooling up.

for 450 im tempted just to strip it down and see what makes it tick but little more than a vlf and an arduino i doubt there is much more too it but LOL he is now forced to sell the detector at cost price and NOT rip people off

He's back on Gumtree with a reworded ad:

"Brand New Like the 2014 Minelab GPX 5000 Long range Underground Gold metal diamond detector"

Still $4500. Regardless of the words, there are Minelab images on a counterfeit unit which is an intellectual property issue.

Nice aluminium case for an extra $80 though.

listing has been taken down again LOL, im all up for people to make an honest buck but ripping people off is not cool

Before the first Gumtree ad got pulled, I took some screenshots so we can build up a gallery of fakes. Compare these to the original and the other fake version in the Gold City Detecting link in mbasko's first post. Also there's a space in World' s on the side. Notice on the box that there's even a security sticker.

1395828447_photo_25-03-14_6_35_58_pm.jpg

1395828447_photo_25-03-14_6_35_49_pm.jpg

1395828447_photo_25-03-14_6_34_55_pm.jpg

1395828447_w4nm-resized640x480.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:

I saw this one too and thought that it might just be original promotion pics and the vendor dose state that its used so i think that the only way to tell is to go and eyball it but the box is what throws me, never seen one like that for a minelab.

Lindt i think the problem is the sellers and manufacturers are now just copying the real thing down to the last detail and vendors are just using original minelab product pictures in their ad which makes them even harder to spot.
It sucks to think that there are fakes, just think how many un suspecting people thought "hey i want to get into the hobby and hear is the detector of my dreams for 2k less" and just get stooged. That there is a product made to look like a minelab is no surprise but branding it exactly the same is just wrong

I have contacted the gumtree one for 3500 bucks. he says it was a prezzy and he cant use it. asked for the serial number and its in storage, he's gunna get back to me. I just posted on other sites asking how to tell a fake, shoulda looked here first. I am considering a 4000 now do I have to worry about fakes. also I have asked about the 4000 on the minelab section and would appreciate any input from users :cool:

Latest posts