How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Thought I would start a post to put up photo's & other information to help people with spotting a fake GPX5000.
For many this is a pretty big investment & to be duped by an unscrupulous seller would be shattering especially if you couldn't recover your cash.

Not all fakes are the same so the more info that can be compiled here the better.

Minelab help:
http://www.minelab.com/consumer/where-to-buy/buyer-beware
http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/where-to-buy/counterfeit-update
http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/where-to-buy/buyer-beware/counterfeit-manufacturers

Short video:

This is one of the quickest & easiest ways to spot a fake. The below picture is of a real, genuine GPX5000.
Notice the curvy looking font used

1394495160_gpx5000gold.jpg

The below picture is of a fake machine recently purchased by a member on another forum.
Notice the font - it is straight & doesn't have the fine curves of the genuine machine font + is noticeably different:

1403447790_2014252520-2525201.jpg

1. Checklist for making a purchase (especially off eBay etc. or used):
  2. Get the serial number
  3. Get the place/date of purchase details - ask for an invoice
  4. If possible check the security sticker hologram
  5. Verify all of the details with Minelab - don't just check the serial number as some fakes have a correct number on them. Get Minelab to cross reference it with the other details like place of purchase/date of purchase etc. They can & will supply this info.

If you have the hologram:
  1. Go to the SMS function on your mobile phone
  2. Enter the number: + 61 458 727 727 into the 'To' field
  3. In the text field enter: Product Serial Number press SPACE then enter the hidden word or code from your security label
  4. Press Send
  5. Await response from Minelab

Once you pay (or even beforehand with the sellers ok) immediately contact Minelab to transfer any warranty that may be remaining on the machine into your name. Minelab warranty is transferrable & is quick/easy to do.

ALARM BELLS:
  • Seller won't supply serial number
  • Seller won't supply purchase details/invoice
  • Seller does not offer inspection or pick up
  • 1 or more checks can't be verified by Minelab
  • Font looks unusual/different
  • The price seems "to good to be true"
  • Spelling mistakes or incorrect sentences on labelling

Visit http://www.minelab.com/aus/contact-us-3 or email [email protected] if you have any concerns or questions.

If you have any other pics or info post it up here, and I will update if I come across anything else that may save someone from being ripped off.

Once you pay (or even beforehand with the sellers ok) immediately contact Minelab to transfer any warranty that may be remaining on the machine into your name. Minelab warranty is transferrable & is quick/easy to do.
Just to clarify the reasoning behind doing this ASAP. Not only will you know that the warranty is now in your name it is also a great peace of mind check as when Minelab send through confirmation of the transfer you will also be able to see & use as a final check the previous owners name & purchase date. When I recently purchased a used GPX5000 it was when this was done that I finally felt 100% satisfied everything was all good.
Some background on why I put this post up. In searching for a used GPX4500 or 5000 machine I asked for confirmation from Minelab on about 6-8 occasions. Out of these 2 were confirmed as fakes. Another GPX4500 couldn't be confirmed as the seller said the machine was packed away & he couldn't provide the serial number - alarm bells :rolleyes: It surprised me that the percentage was that high & I was glad of the advice & tips that had been given to me in my search. For example Lbg dreamer gave me the idea on warranty transfer in a conversation I had with him as he did the same when purchasing his GPX4500.
A big thanks to all that helped with advice etc. & hopefully with it in one spot this post can help others too.

Mbasko, how long is the warranty for minelab detectors? 4500 is not a new machine. Great idea. I hope you save few of us wasting money on fakes. :)

3 year warranty.
The 4500's I was looking at were out of warranty but I still checked their respective details with Minelab. Lbg got his 4500 awhile ago & it was still under warranty then. Just highlighting that its a good idea to do it ASAP with machines that have warranty left. Good final check.
I did the warranty transfer on the 5000 I ended up buying.

yeah I did warranty transfer on my GPX5000 still had 1 year 11 months of warranty. got to be happy about that.

WOW Great info mbasko :) thank you very much,
I am sure Your info will save a lot of heart ache and money someday. :D

There's a lot of PA member that can contribute more additional info too. :)

Cheers,
''B''

ive been looking at heaps of GPX 4500's and non seem to have the label they describe that uses the viewer to identify them. I assume this is a problem for newer detectors?
Of the ones that have interested me i have asked the sellers to supply me with the S/N and i will call minelab and ask, i don't have access to sms or the viewer card unfortunately.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/85458/counterfeit

The new labels were added after 26th March 2012 which did include the GPX4500 but must have only been the end of line ones?

I would get the serial number, place of purchase & date of purchase then check with Minelab to make sure it all matches up with their records. If you get a serial number & the place/date of purchase don't match I would give it a wide berth. ;)

Hi everyone,

Sad commentary that my first post is in the fake detector thread :(

I've been lurking for a while and playing with detectors a bit longer. Bought an X-terra 305 recently for the Wedderburn token hunt, kids and beaches but really after a gold machine. This thread has been very informative - thanks.

A 5000 came up on Gumtree yesterday which has all the characteristics of one of the fake variants (incorrect printing on the control panels, different switches & knobs etc). The seller is still asking $4500! Search for a GPX 5000 in St Albans 3021.

I'll keep looking

Thanks for posting the link Sylar. Yes, that's the one.

The Chinglish description is a fun read. "Mutant alarms" no less :D

i did the same reported it as counterfeit. It is rather comical to read the chinglish add but regardless i think the vendor knows they are fake. Its just a shame that this is how some people make their money, by stealing someones money

not a chance mate they know what they are doing... they are pushing you to go to another website which by the way has been taken down. also saying they are coming direct from factory is misleading and "don't call us please email" dodgy as hell.

should of been report to police & minelab for copyright issues & theft by deception. Gumtree will remove add but this does nothing to seller they just relist under another name.

I let the senior admin know at minelab they have a whole department that looks after these leeches. Would be fun to ask if I could pick one up as I only had cash then show up with the cops

Latest posts