Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Silver,

I must say that is a beautiful orchid. Do you know much about them, I have one and I am just trying to figure out if I need to repot it or not? I am just happy that it has flowered this year and so want to be very, very careful with it....lol.....!

And hope all is o.k. with you, sounds like your slowing up a bit with your treasure hunting...?? Or have you got an injury? Hope it is nothing too serious.

Cheers,
Bec. :)

Gday Bec, I only know the basics about orchids, propagation, division, basic food, water requirements and environmental requirements, not too much on identification at all, I just enjoy them but don't know their names at all except for a few that stand out as different like button, tick, and pencil orchids !
Even though I know names like dendrobium and cymbidium, they are just a few that I picked up listening as a child when the elders were chatting and I couldn't really put them to an orchid type unless I was to look it up and do a bit of a study on it all, but there are many different and varied types to enjoy thats for sure, and I want to make a greenhouse happen for us this year if I can get around to it(just to put them all in together so I can relax and enjoy them)
And I am a bit slow lately (thanks for asking), I have a sciatic nerve type injury being exacerbated by a bulging disc in the lower back that is causing pain that comes in waves right throughout my leg(all the way to the tips of my toes, that are numb), difficulty in walking, painful ankle, and it's caused some mishap with my shin muscle that doesn't seem to want to fix itself like it should ,.... so I'm trying hard not to want to go detecting, I can still do it if I wanted too, but I'm thinking it's not really going to help my leg at all if I do, might go out with old mate early in the morning if he's up to it for a hobble on the beach, at least it's easy playing in the sand, but I'll only have an hour or so, and it'll pain me later. Pain killers don't seem to help at all, but thats probably the shin muscle damage that makes it that no amount of painkiller will alleviate the pain of walking, thinking of buying a cheap set of second hand crutches to take the weight off the leg for a while to see how that goes (even painful to drive)(right leg). ;)
Anyway I'll get better eventually one way or another ! :D
If you pop up a photo of your orchid Bec we might be able to discern what it is ,... the orchid, the leaf and the flower if you could, at any rate, we can all enjoy it at the least. 8) :D
Silver.

silver said:
Gday Bec, I only know the basics about orchids, propagation, division, basic food, water requirements and environmental requirements, not too much on identification at all, I just enjoy them but don't know their names at all except for a few that stand out as different like button, tick, and pencil orchids !
Even though I know names like dendrobium and cymbidium, they are just a few that I picked up listening as a child when the elders were chatting and I couldn't really put them to an orchid type unless I was to look it up and do a bit of a study on it all, but there are many different and varied types to enjoy thats for sure, and I want to make a greenhouse happen for us this year if I can get around to it(just to put them all in together so I can relax and enjoy them)
And I am a bit slow lately (thanks for asking), I have a sciatic nerve type injury being exacerbated by a bulging disc in the lower back that is causing pain that comes in waves right throughout my leg(all the way to the tips of my toes, that are numb), difficulty in walking, painful ankle, and it's caused some mishap with my shin muscle that doesn't seem to want to fix itself like it should ,.... so I'm trying hard not to want to go detecting, I can still do it if I wanted too, but I'm thinking it's not really going to help my leg at all if I do, might go out with old mate early in the morning if he's up to it for a hobble on the beach, at least it's easy playing in the sand, but I'll only have an hour or so, and it'll pain me later. Pain killers don't seem to help at all, but thats probably the shin muscle damage that makes it that no amount of painkiller will alleviate the pain of walking, thinking of buying a cheap set of second hand crutches to take the weight off the leg for a while to see how that goes (even painful to drive)(right leg). ;)
Anyway I'll get better eventually one way or another ! :D
If you pop up a photo of your orchid Bec we might be able to discern what it is ,... the orchid, the leaf and the flower if you could, at any rate, we can all enjoy it at the least. 8) :D
Silver.

Hi Silver,

Thank you so much for your response. You certainly know a lot more about orchids than I do that is for sure. My mum also has a talent for the garden and plants in general. And when I asked her over the phone whether I needed to repot it, she said what type is it? And I said one with leaves and flowers on it (at the moment anyway)....lol...!! So she asked me to find out what it is before she can make a diagnosis. So any help on that would be great thanks Silver, I will take some pictures and post them up when I get a chance and see if she can be identified or not. Your greenhouse plan sounds awesome good luck with it.

A friend actually gave me the orchid as a gift last year when it had flowers on it, then the flowers dropped off and I have been nurturing it for months and months and then voila, buds started appearing and now it has loads of flowers. So I am a proud orchid mum. I actually think orchids could be another hobby for me in the making.

Sorry to hear about your sciatic nerve injury and bulging disc in the lower back. I have been told that this can be quite painful indeed and very challenging to live with. Is there any chance it will improve for you, any doctors advice helpful or not? I just really wish you all the best with it Silver and I hope you can find some relief from the pain somehow.

Take care and I will get some my orchid ready for a photo shoot soon.

Cheers,
Bec. :)

Thanks Bec, apparently the disc grows a callous over the bulge then shrinks the lot back into place, as long as I don't aggravate it( but it can take six weeks without agravation), and the shin muscle must have sustained damage by the way I had to limp enduring the scatica, i have a heat lamp focused on it as we speak to increase the blood flow to the muscle so it can heal faster. ;)
It is important to know what type of orchid you are dealing with as they originate from all different parts of the globe and some have peculiar needs environmentally ,..... mine are all climatic survivors for SEQ so they all just like mottley shade with a little early or late gentle sun and free draining (sort of) pots with a drink every other day if not every day in summer and a drink while it's at its warmest parts of the day in winter if I remember every now and again, as long as they dont dry out or the leaves start to shrivel at all.
If your orchid is big in its pot and needs repotting it may also be big enough to divide in two as well (only maybe though), depends on how much is there that's alive and growing well ,.... eventually two orchids are better than one ! ;)

Well, old mate bailed anyway :| , probly a lot better proposition for my back n leg in the long run :rolleyes: ,.... so I'll just put the sprinkler on the garden instead. :)

I moved one orchid inside yesterday cause the smell was just so nice, dining room kitchen smelled beautiful this morning with the fragrance filling the room. :D
1486241770_20170205_061014.jpg

Here are the button
1486241980_20170205_061238.jpg

tick
1486242011_20170205_061311.jpg

and pencil orchids
1486242051_20170205_061948.jpg

I like them just because they look different, they only have small flowers 8) and a small smell to match, but the smell that you have to step in and hunt for is divine indeed ! :p

I have a couple of orchids that were given too me that I have in isolation just to make sure they ain't harboring any diseases at all !
1486242435_20170205_061450.jpg

1486242497_20170205_061439.jpg

I don't want to mix them in at all yet, I don't mind waiting years if I have too. ;)

And here's the rest up the back yard,
a couple to the right.
1486243055_20170205_061757.jpg

and more to the left.
1486243149_20170205_061815.jpg

down and closer
1486243183_20170205_061827.jpg

and then looking back the other way from behind those ferns.
1486243245_20170205_061917.jpg

and thats the lot of em, be nice when there's room for most of them in a fernery, I want to have it next to the end of my back patio, so I can put table and chairs near it and see it all looking lovely and nice ,.... river pebbles on the ground around paver stepping stones through it and a wooden slat roof and sides, misting nozzle watering system, and green light for night time enjoyment ,...... Ahhh, one day.......
:D

Ahh yeah , been a bit worried . thinking about recommending you change your member name from silver to Pink Flower :p . Mate not much you can do when your injured and in pain , have other responsibilities . You need to do what's best first Siver and it may not be detecting at the moment , but you stay in the game by being on the forum and giving advice freely, and hopefully we will see you in the field soon !

Thanks fellas, I'll hobble forwards one foot then one foot after the other slowly :lol:
Always cool down the backyard in the deep shade, no matter how hot the day is, and in winter a few trees are deciduous, so lose their leaves to make way for a little sunshine too. :D

Can feel your pain; been there in 95-6, had the op, worked fine for siatic pain, but lots of cramps in calf and thigh for about 3 years. Deep tissue massage and heat rub will help,
Hade a new hip 2 weeks ago and its going great, deep tissue rub on area for couple of months before really helped loosen all the mussels etc..
Wish you all the best with it Silver, the ops are not as intrusive now as when I had mine.
Cheers LL

I was a bit naughty and my legs a little sorer for it too. :eek:
but, got that out of my system in a semi shaded area.
whole hunt.
1486261179_20170205_114906.jpg

all the buttons are different.
1486261232_20170205_114938.jpg

1486261259_20170205_115001.jpg

1486261286_20170205_115018.jpg

1486261320_20170205_115045.jpg

and then there was this, thought it was rubbish at first, turns out it's a pin.
1486261427_20170205_115102.jpg

1486261472_20170205_115121.jpg

and best of all was this, I had that thought, "where's my silver", so went straight up wind(as I do), and low and behold, sunbaking in a patch of bare dirt was a silver (I recon) ring. :D
1486261645_20170205_115139.jpg

1486261687_20170205_115149.jpg

Nice to see you back in action Silver, a bit of outdoor action is said to be the best medicine, although finding a bit of silver is a tightly held secret.

:cool: :cool:

Latest posts