⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Heath, couldnt quite get the photo I was after, but this gives an indication of what I was going for 8) definitely need a tripod and tweezers and a soft mat to catch the stone when it falls off.....and patience, lots of patience. :D :lol: :D

1533282859_9225d1ee-926d-4a06-af70-0a97b5958467.jpg

Lefty said:
Beautiful job there Wally :Y: But what's the actual stone itself?

Sorry......thought I put that in. :8 Stone came in at 1.85ct.

Quite a low yield, was initially hoping to keep some of the inclusions in the stone. I had problems initially with a number of cracks that reduced the girdle significantly, then some chipping of the edges that needed to be polished down and just prior to finishing the pavilion the darn thing jumped off the dop and I reset it to miss another inclusion. Mostly self created beginner issues, but happy with the end product.

Ah zircon, beautiful stones - Hartz range?

Some very large and nicely coloured zircons come from Hartz range but so many of them are so badly included that getting a clean stone can be difficult. I have 3 sitting here at present in the rough - close examination shows that at least 2 of them are so badly included as to be not worth faceting :(

The third one looks between 25-35 carats and is a nice mauve shade - I'm almost afraid to examine it closely. If it's relatively clean it will cut a cracker of a stone! If it's like the other two it will basically be a mineral specimen.

Lefty said:
Ah zircon, beautiful stones - Hartz range?

Some very large and nicely coloured zircons come from Hartz range but so many of them are so badly included that getting a clean stone can be difficult. I have 3 sitting here at present in the rough - close examination shows that at least 2 of them are so badly included as to be not worth faceting :(

The third one looks between 25-35 carats and is a nice mauve shade - I'm almost afraid to examine it closely. If it's relatively clean it will cut a cracker of a stone! If it's like the other two it will basically be a mineral specimen.

Yes mate, Hartz Range Zircon it is, some nice variation in colour from there too :p think the details/photos going over two pages confused things.

Dont have the heart to look into this 60ct specimen, so I guess this is a berfore and after shot too. :D

1533295040_3a4ecc03-9592-4022-8721-b17809e5ce77.jpg

Yep, I can see those fractures that so many of them are riddled with :(

A member of the club brought in one he'd found out there. It was in it's crystal shape.....and weighed over a kilo!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It wasn't gem quality of course. There were some transparent patches in it but you'd never cut it up, it was an awesome specimen.

Another club member found one at Mud Tank that weighed just on 100 carats and was a beautiful sort of peachy colour. She said it was never going to be faceted - which I think might turn out to be a good idea.

Such a shame for a spot to produce so many beautifully coloured stones but so few of them that are faceting grade.

Bloody nice stone Wally! :Y: :Y: :Y:

I'll be hunting for a few bits of the sort of rough that came from this week at the Gemfest.

Thanks Lefty

It is in the G & M Vargas book, contributed by Quincy D. Howell, Idaho published in the 1974 edition of the Facitor

Got a packet from Rough2cut a couple of weeks ago, I think he has some more, it is a nice stone to cut

Thanks for the nice comments :Y:

Funny how the only things flowering at the moment seem to match the colour of my stones. :D could walk past them ]:D

Great talent Wally :Y: looks fantastic and a great setting for the photo :Y:. Kate has joined Bendigo Gem Club so it'll be a while before she is able to accomplish the qualities Lefty and you have. I hope she does, bought her a silver smithing kit for a few hundred and scored a 6 wheel polishing machine as a bonus :Y:. Just need to set it up and dig up a few stones so we can learn it's ability while we learn ours :Y: the future looks bright :).

RM Outback said:
Great talent Wally :Y: looks fantastic and a great setting for the photo :Y:. Kate has joined Bendigo Gem Club so it'll be a while before she is able to accomplish the qualities Lefty and you have. I hope she does, bought her a silver smithing kit for a few hundred and scored a 6 wheel polishing machine as a bonus :Y:. Just need to set it up and dig up a few stones so we can learn it's ability while we learn ours :Y: the future looks bright :).

I am sure Kate will have a stunningly bright future RM. I have only just turned over double digits in the number of stones I have cut, I had a good tutor and invest a lot of time in a rock and I can assure Kate that each stone exponentially improves the outcome.

Great score on the silversmith kit with bonus polishing machine :eek: still building mine up and have only read the one textbook so far. Am thinking I will see if there are any local training courses.

Throw me a PM with your address an I will send down something for you to play with.

Latest posts