⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoW gents I would be proud of any of those, hope to attack some green stuff at emmaville and torrington early March

Q; do U gents cut your own gems?? If so what what brand/ type of cutting machine do U recommend.

My financial adviser is keen to participate ATM

Gilly47 said:
WoW gents I would be proud of any of those, hope to attack some green stuff at emmaville and torrington early March

Q; do U gents cut your own gems?? If so what what brand/ type of cutting machine do U recommend.

My financial adviser is keen to participate ATM

Yes I do, for me it is a hobby, so I started with looking for a fully kitted out secondhand setup as the primary consideration and landed on an agatemasta (single speed) unit, then after receiving some training on a gemmasta (variable speed) found a second hand unit with a performer as an extra. Both have different mechanical controls to get the cut right.

Recommend :rolleyes: - I like aspects of both machines - so I would recommend getting one of each :D although I exclusively use the gemmast now as it has the ability to tune out a spiral (slight misalignment in the squareness of the main shaft to the lap) and the variable speed control.

I think the key to cutting a good stone is probably more about the understanding of how to adjust geometry and cutting/polishing techniques. Speed is enhanced by the acuracey and precision of the machine and the functional control of the adjusting devices. Lap speed control is a factor that affects polish speed, but I think it will take me a few more years to fully understand the relationship between stone types, polishing medium and lap speed.

In regards to new machines, I like the concept of precision depth cutting on rigid cut angles with a precisely tuned machine as I envisage there could be a significant speed advantage.

Good luck :cool:

I don't cut my stones yet, maybe one day I would like too but for now I'm just digging them and hope to get a few cut by some body talented once I get a few more worthy of the cutters time

I have just started doing a bit of faceting within the last year, i started on a home made unit which was cheap. It had a lot of flaws but let me have a go at some basics and gave me an idea of what i was getting into. I am now using a second hand ultratec V2, it has a lot more precision than the home made unit and i am happy with it, for what i paid for it. But unless you are buying second hand i believe these can be expensive new as they are manufactured in the USA.
Most of the people at our lapidary club seem to use gemmasters, these seem to have a good reputation but can be long waiting periods for orders and parts from my understanding.

Check out this thread if you are thinking of buying new.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20952

Ok, you folks now got me interested... :( ( :lol: )

When you first begin 'cutting' your teeth on these machines the first time 'ever' using one...

Do you use your 'gems', or practice on, say, rounded river rocks of various composite, before 'risking' your gems?

Not sure what, if any, 'gems' are around here as i haven't gone down that path as yet, but i do like the idea of finding/cutting/mounting my own finds.

To date all i've had a go at was soldering bails and ear-ring backs to some of my <1.0g bits...

More practice time required, but my new venture is consuming most of my time atm. (Luckily much done from homebase :D )

PS... it was the linked thread above that got me reading this one lmao... ;)

Gypsy

Quartz, smokey quartz, opal crystal, topaz, amethyst and zircon are good starting mediums

The main issue with starting with an expensive stone is that you might need to recut it if you stuff it, loosing some size.

The good thing is, once you have become a grand master cutter, you can recut it and be marvelled by the improvement in your skills.

Of all the tools-of-the-trade I have acquired, getting lessons from a professional has been the best investment.

Wally69 said:
The main issue with starting with an expensive stone is that you might need to recut it if you stuff it, loosing some size.

That was exactly my thinking and what prompted me to ask :Y:

Of all the tools-of-the-trade I have acquired, getting lessons from a professional has been the best investment.

Seems like any new endeavor encountered, tends to come with this sage advice...

Thank-You for the list of 'starters'...i'll have to delve deeper into my Gem book for local 'finds', and maybe hit up the local club.

Cheers
Gypsy

17.7 carat topaz. Another practice cut on the new machine.
1487456748_img_3644_600x800.jpg

Inspired by the great stones on this thread, I have just had my first ever stone cut. Bit limited by being in SA, but managed to find a piece of clear quartz crystal about 2 inches long, that would have been about an inch in diameter- except it was split in half lengthways. Sorry no before photo. Pretty happy with how it turned out, weighed at 3.3 carats. Getting another one done that is more citrine colour. So thanks for the inspiration!
1488501345_p3020989.jpg

these were given to me yesterday by the Postman little did i know that he had jars and buckets and shelf after shelf of these my eyes nearly fell out when i went around there
and yes he has all the gear for cutting as well just goes to show you can be a mate for years and still never know them
1489140927_100_61841.jpg

1489140947_100_61851.jpg

not sure what i am or how i am going to cut these

Latest posts