Kogan metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a Kogan metal detector (less than $100 from their online store). It's my first ever detector so I'm pretty new at this. Does anyone have experience with this brand? I hope I haven't wasted my money! Anyway I'm going to take the kids down the beach after school to try it out.

Have no info on this decector but the cheap Aldi dectector at $100 seems to be capable of finding coins and such. These are sometings rebranded versions of 'brand name' dectctors so shouldn't be all bad.
Don't pin your hopes on finding gold with it (although stranger things have happened) enjoy it as a learning tool and if you are attracted to the hobby (?) you can always upgrade at a later date.
Most of all welcome to the formum, hope you find some words of wisom amongst its pages.
Cheers Tom

Teemore said:
Don't pin your hopes on finding gold with it (although stranger things have happened
Cheers Tom

Why? is gold harder to detect than other metals? The specs said it would pick up silver, gold etc.

raresaturn said:
Teemore said:
Don't pin your hopes on finding gold with it (although stranger things have happened
Cheers Tom

Why? is gold harder to detect than other metals? The specs said it would pick up silver, gold etc.

The cheapie detectors will find a large piece of gold at shallow depth say 100mm - the more upmarket detectors like Minelab GPX5000 will find very small nuggets at much greater depths - don't be discouraged though you might find that big one :) and we all have to start somewhere.

They say the detector can find gold, but what they don't say is whether it will find gold in certain ground conditions, which is the biggest issue. Unfortunately gold is usually found in highly mineralised ground, and will drive a detector that has no ground balancing ability nuts (and the operator). In saying that, in perfect conditions, it could find gold, have seen the Ace 250 find gold, and that has fixed ground balance.

In reality, when they say it will find gold on the box, they probably more than likely refer to finding gold jewellery say at the beach in dry sand, or at places like parks and ovals, so you never know. The best way to find out is to get out there and give it a go, you may surprise yourself. :)

raresaturn said:

No gold is just as easy to detect as other metals, it's just that most gold these days comes from goldfields that have been worked by the early prospectors, the early metal detecting brigade who used various VLF style detectors and more recently by the those using the latest PI technology.
Just means that a lot (but by no means all) of the existing ground has been detected to death BUT there are always undetected areas and areas where gold has been missed due to a variety of other reasons (eg, wrong settings on the detector).
The best areas also tend to be unkind to detectors that are difficult to 'tune' to areas of high mineralisation, that is where the latest PI detectors come into their own.
I use a Exterra 705 and although sold as a 'gold' pack I bought it mainly for parks and beaches as a training tool, although people have found gold with them in the right areas I do not consider it gold detector but enjoy it for what it is a park/beach tool, I'm sure I'll try it out when I'm in the right (low mineralisation) areas.
Enjoy your new detector, try it out at the beach/park and get some results but more importantly use it to learn the basics, how fast/slow to swing, stepping and swinging smoothly as you walk, keeping the coil level and low etc.
There's a wealth of info in these pages that you'll find useful,
Cheers Tom

Coinandtreasure said:
Hi does anyone own a kogan metal detector thinking about buying one for$75 is it good quality or not?
Never herd of it before today mate, its definitely on the cheap side. Having said that it might be good,dont know?

But if you buy one let us all know how you find it, and stuff you find. we love that suff :)

Hey mate I'm just starting out and I bought one for a play. It went 7 inch on a $2 and I could use it on the wet sand on the Swan River found some nice pennies that way. but you get what you pay for in the way that it broke 6 months in! Construction is very poor and it is a bit chunky. Hope this helps some new comers.

Latest posts