Manning Valley NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i'm from the Manning Valley and i know this area is pretty bad for gold. I was just wondering if people could suggest areas relativity close (4-6 hrs) that i can travel and most likely camp to do some gold hunting!!

I plan to hit up Copeland and Nundle very soon! And targeting the Doyle's River and Cell's River in the next week.

Any advice and suggestions would be welcome and much appreciated.

Cheers dudes and dudettes. :D

I am from taree as well.. not much gold localy.. some interesting mines to visit scattered about.. After a lot of research the sapphires at gloucester are in my sights.. I have been prospecting 30 kms down stream from the cells on a very large bar that drops stuff everywhere looking for flood gold.. I have a lead on emethist at landsdown that need looking into ... look me up if you are keen.. :)

Hey mate, thanks for the info, maps and stuff.

Be interested to know what you find 30kms down as i'm going to look a fair way down as well.

Yeah I've always wondered what would be in Lansdown dirt. Just the way the escarpment drops off from the side of the mountain, not sure what it would bring but yeah.

I'll have to look into this gem hunting!

Cheers.

if you go up to the cells it is best to go in from the oxley hyway up near mount seaveiw.. I have not been in there but it looks interesting... more old workings further up the Oxley before walcha... further over north is some places that had gold and diamonds.. on the way up mount seaveiw keep an eye out on the left for the biggest mica shist load I have ever seen.. mountain of it.. interesting because the mica shist can yield garnets... the shist is also loaded with fools gold crystals.. I have not found any garnets because I have not looked for them in the creek down below yet... :) pm sent

Very interesting stuff mate. I might have to get myself traveling around. Attempted to go up the Nowendoc river today but i forgot about the road works.. Normally you can get through but today they had the road dug up : ( so just stopped at Caffery's Flat for a swim then came home.

Also I did not recieve a pm.

Cheers

you have 11 posts up and should get the pm.. caffery flat is a great place for a swim.. the guys staying at the retreat come up to the bridge to jump in the creek and float back down on rubber tubes when the water is right.. lots of large quartz rocks and stuff on that bar.. I think it may have some flood gold hidden there some place because the creeks off to the left further up are gold bearing and there were several gold mines on those creeks... :)

Yeah maybe i did and just cant work it out lol but the inbox says its empty.

Yeah spent a fair bit of time at Knorrit Flat. Pretty relaxing camp not far from home. And a lot less effort then getting down to Farquhar Park.el

Never dugged around Cafferys Flat but the ground looks lovely with all the flood bank. But i just assumed there wouldnt be gold.

I hope one of those creeks on the left is the Nowendoc River. Cause i got a mate who owns about 5.3kms of riverfront way up there that i can prospect on. Was heading up there the other day but got stopped at the roadworks.

Cheers

Is the ground at Nowendoc any good? I'd be up for a day trip there to meet you guys if there is colour to be had, especially if its good detecting country.

kawman said:
if you go up to the cells it is best to go in from the oxley hyway up near mount seaveiw.. I have not been in there but it looks interesting... more old workings further up the Oxley before walcha... further over north is some places that had gold and diamonds.. on the way up mount seaveiw keep an eye out on the left for the biggest mica shist load I have ever seen.. mountain of it.. interesting because the mica shist can yield garnets... the shist is also loaded with fools gold crystals.. I have not found any garnets because I have not looked for them in the creek down below yet... :) pm sent

Is the Schist on the Oxley Highway? I have to head down there next month and putting the kids on a patch of pyrites would break the day up a bit. There is a interesting mineral blow on the mountain on the western side of Long Flat on the left as you head west that I find interesting. On private property though but interested as to what it actually is.

Yep the mica load is on the left side of the hyway in two places.. well after long flat on the way up the mountain are a set of stop and go lights and a small parking area on the right with tables and chairs next to the light... the first load is between the stop and go lights.. good fools gold crystals are to be found.. some mica loads contain garnets.. do not know if this one has or not.. the load looks very light,shiny and flaking off in very large sheets differant to darker rock in the area.. stop at gingers creek for coffee and a feed :)

Hey guys i was born and bred in lansdowne theres some pretty interesting stuff up in the mountain in the creeks..

gooday brettorian.. welcome to the pa website.. I have not scratched around in that area... I am keen to see what you are finding...

As a newly-minted member and fellow denizen of the Manning Valley, I am very interested too.

However I have heard that there is indeed gold in the Manning River, specifically the Little Manning River (not sure as to its exact location, except I think it's somewhere between Gloucester and Nowendoc). My mate has a few hundred acres up that way, not sure if any creek frontage though... I reckon if I was to buy a detector I'd take it up there and have a poke around.

Anyway, sorry to dig up the dead, but just wanted to see how people have been getting on in the Valley and it's surrounds.