New on Market...Whites PinPointer !!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my new Whites pinpointer, and tested it against the very popular Garrett pinpointer that I have been using for the past year. It's a bit larger than the Garrett, but similar round shape just a bit longer apprx. 11 inches or 28 centimeters. Looks like a winner....it was supposed to come out in Feb. but they had an issue with heat variance, it would sound off in extreme heat or cold temperatures. So they resolved the problem in the electronics. This pinpointer is 2-3 times more powerful than my Garrett....tested it yesterday, they retail for 149.00 here in the States...I am sure they are coming your way..check them out.....

Ben78, I have used my Garrett for a year now...and never had it false. You may have a lemon , I suggest you ship it to Garrett hopefully its under warranty. My Whites so far works great, but I just got it....so time will tell..I do like the extra sensitivity.

If I have a lemon then so do thousands of others. I guess another example of detectors not coping with Australian dirt. Will have to wait for reports on the ground here then

Hey Ben, my Garret Pro Pointer works great all the time, maybe it could be the soil where your working. I see in the A question on Clay that sets of the detector post there is talk of Iron in clay causing problems with detectors, maybe a case with your pointer. It could also be your battery needing replacing(that's the only time mine is erratic), maybe its pretty slow to push over into the I'm out of power zone and just staying in that problem power area of just enough to be erratic. Have you tried a new battery at all ? I air start mine away from metal, or close to it if I'm refining or homing in the search on my target. Mine gets thrown all over the place, dropped on occasion, generally abused a fair bit in all types of weather, hardly ever washed, and still a great tool ! The only other thing I can think of is that some people say(from what I get the gist of) they don't work well in company with minelab tech.

Silver, that's a good point! I have not read all the instruction on the Whites, I am kinda turn on and go type....but the Whites says it's ground balancing...so maybe give it a try when they are available in your area. I also set my M/L 4500 as far as I can reach with it to use the Garrett..so perhaps you noticing interference?

Gday Zlato, I was just wondering how your whites pinpointer goes for homing in on the target before you dig your plug(if you are coin shooting). I'm just trying to imagine a more powerful version of the garret propointer and am coming up with hard to initially find. So could you please run me through a retrieval scenario from before you dig to show the difference between the propointer(garret) and the pinpointer(whites). That might help me get my head around it a bit better, I guess you just get used to the same thing after a while and can find it hard to see something better clearly.

Hi Silver, I am a nugget-hunter 99% of the time. So the reason I use a pinpointer is because I had a bad experience smacking a large nugget 5 times with my pick 8.( . It was a deep target and it took me 45 minutes to dig it out. So about a year ago, I got myself a Garrett and it has helped me "Not" do that again. So as I detect and get a signal, I usually do a boot scrap, than I start diggin with a pick, as the signal gets louder and in range of pinpointer, I stop using the detector and I do a " surgical retrieval " with pinpointer only. Plus it's just so much easier on the shoulders... :/ . What I have noticed with the Whites is that it has a deeper range, so I can begin using the pinpointer earlier because its more sensitive. I assume retrieval of a coin from a plug would be faster if the pin pointer is more powerful, after you cut the plug, just use the pin pointing tip until you locate the coin or target in the plug. The sucker also has a lost pinpointer alarm, so if you drop it, after a while it goes off..kinda cool. Hope that answers your question.... take care.

Thanks Zlato, yes that's good, I do find that that a target inside the middle of a plug can be evasive. The pinpointer (whites) would be better in that situation if it goes through the plug from on side to the other. Is it similar to the propointer(garret) in the way it sounds off the closer you get to your target ?

And can you use the pinpointer like the propointer by turning it on close to the hidden target and have it home in better on exactly where its placement is when it's only about 1 cm below the bottom of the hole ?

Silver, yes it's similar to the Garrett...the closer to the target the sound goes of faster..and you have a choice of sound, sound with vibration..or vibration for those days you have to be in stealth mode....:)

Thank you Zlato, All that combined with the lost alarm signal sounds like it will be my next pointer.
One last question about the pinpointer(whites),Does it also have an led light ?
(how's that look Nugget?)

Does look great.
One difference is that the pinpointer(whites) doesn't have the scraper blade, although it does have an edge that looks like you could scrape around in the hole with it.
The other difference would be the on/off time(wouldn't matter if you were only on a target every now and then), the propointer(garret) is fast on and off, especially if you need to turn it off and on in the hole to reset it for close proximity search. Does the pinpointer(whites) have that feature at all ?

Latest posts