Aldi detector hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
Nice 3P. I have spare batteries for detector, pinpointer and anything I have with me in the car always.

I do too mate, I was in Wally's car. I anticipated it by putting a new one in, crappest battery ever, my mate gave them to me as freebies. Battery World generics.....

Energizers last forever.

Yours is all the way from the San Francisco mint :cool:

Mine caused uproar due to the lack of 'FIDEI DEF' Defender of the Faith on the back

1422509995_image.jpg

Hmmm wish I got the one that caused an uproar. :D Yeah the "S" version, interesting. Must be more there mate, we'll have to clean that spot up and just dig all the targets and see what we get.

The old nails were pretty cool too.

1422514631_20150129_175427.jpg

1422514651_20150129_175432.jpg

Yep, an indication of the age and potential of the site.

1422516719_image.jpg

I am going to label it as a certified detector virgin.....bring on 200+ years of history :p

Although, It might take us a couple of years of cleanup before I can crank the sensitivity up :rolleyes:

I think they are probably early colonial boat building nails, hand forged, made by craftsmen who have long left this world.

(scale is a bit deceiving - they are 2" long)

Starting to feel well enough again to do some detecting therapy. Hit the spot where Wally and myself found the old nails, no Silver today :mad: but did find a Chinese coin of some sort and a bunch of Goldies. Also found a Canadian $1 coin, talk about crap quality currency compared to our Aussie coins.

The Junk
1427342025_20150326_143228.jpg

The treasure
1427342059_20150326_143514.jpg

Chinese coin
1427342085_20150326_143451.jpg

Very very impressive... Now I'm kicking myself for not handing over the $80 when the local Aldi's was trying to sell em.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Very very impressive... Now I'm kicking myself for not handing over the $80 when the local Aldi's was trying to sell em.

For 3 hours swinging it's not a bad haul Zuke. They are well worth the price, has served me very well this little detector.

I wouldn't have thought there was that much gold in the ground there Heath. Good haul. :cool:

Chinese coin looks in near mint condition - that site has good ground conditions for preservation but is it a Replica or Original ?

Thanks for leaving the florins and sovereigns in the ground for Ron.

Wally69 said:
I wouldn't have thought there was that much gold in the ground there Heath. Good haul. :cool:

Chinese coin looks in near mint condition - that site has good ground conditions for preservation but is it a Replica or Original ?

Thanks for leaving the florins and sovereigns in the ground for Ron.

I got most of the Goldles on the grass area at the bottom of the steps, mostly replenished recent drops I think as I've done that area previously and properly. The Chinese coin, not sure, don't know why anyone would reproduce one but it could be some sort of repro, can't believe the good condition it's in.

Ground seemed to be really conductive today after the rain, the Aldi was getting some very good depth.

I was hunting the Silvers trying to sniff them out but........... today just was not my day for them, first time there I havn't found any Silver.

Ramjet said:
That's a good haul with any detector.

I recover my targets fast and move pretty quick too Rod. I know it misses targets but it's great for skimming and covering a decent amount of ground, the discrimination is ok too and totally ignores some ringpulls, foil and bottle tops and large junk targets but not all, some sound like good targets especially the soft screwcaps and old ringpulls. Seems to really home in on round things like coins and rings too though.

Very slow on the coins today, got a lot of junk, especially old ringpulls, I've cleaned this park out about a year ago and there did not seem to be many recently replenished Goldies. :( Mainly just ones I'd probably missed last time. Got a crap plated earing, 2 1/2 keys, a modern 1990 Penny and not much more than $11.

Time to hit some new spots.

1427782123_20150331_170031.jpg

Reeks said:
Good to see your back into it Heatho.
What's your plans for the long weekend :D

Hey Reeko, I was thinking about heading to Ophir but I should probably give it a miss, still recovering from this lung abscess, still have a few weeks on antibiotics too so should stay close to home I guess, the Doctor said I should rest up for a while.

Are you doing anything mate? If you're in my area at all you're always welcome to drop in for a yak.

Cheers Sandta, yeah not a bad haul, no complaints. :)

Much Greener pastures today at a dog walking park, very large pasture also, so big in fact I may even need a hand with this spot. Had plenty of dogs looking for a pat and a sniff and a few of thier friendly lady owners coming over for a chat curious to see what I was doing there. A couple of dogs even tried to climb into my lap, geez. I managed to luckilly avoid being slobbered on but had one close call with a rather large dog which was slobbering everywhere.

Met a nice Brittish lady yesterday too who always wanted a detector and who was dreaming of digging up a Roman Gold hoard. I said, just do it, buy it for the kids and then you can use it too.

Oh yeah got about $20 in coins and a small Silver pendant with a tiny tiny stone in it. Virgin ground too, 1c and 2c coins and plenty of vintage ringpulls.

1427872996_20150401_153103.jpg

1427873014_20150401_153553.jpg

1427873036_20150401_153611.jpg