Saphire or Not

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1393666770_image.jpg

Sure looks like one, a little hard to tell, if it is it's a great colour. Which general area was it from? A known Sapphire area? Oberon maybe?

Hey Heatho, this was found at Nundle in the river bed, looking for gold. Havent found a saphire before. :)

Great looking stone, it sure looks like a Sapphire. Any chance of a photo without the light behind it?

If it sank to the bottom of your pan with your heavies, I would say you have a magnificently clear blue sapphire, the colour everyone is chasing but extremely hard to find. Great find :p :lol: :D

Like gold, stopping at one will be the hard thing.

Yeah that colour is fantastic, true Cornflower Blue. What's the weight of it Jenmal? Well done on finding it, definitely worth keeping an eye out for them.

Very nice, it might be worth doing a scratch test to confirm but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a Sapphire.

Nugget said:
Very nice, it might be worth doing a scratch test to confirm but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a Sapphire.

How does the scratch test work? Use something to scratch it or use it to scratch something?

A quote from Wal as I've never actually done this myself.

Walnliz said:
Scratch test mate. Hardness scale: Diamond 10...Sapphire 9....Topaz 8....Quartz 7 same as glass.

Glass and quartz will both scratch each other. Glass won't scratch Topaz. Topaz won't scratch Sapphire. Sapphire won't scratch diamond. Try scratching it with glass or quartz first.

Can send you up a couple of each to use as scratch testers if you like. wink

Cheers Wal.

I seem to have lost / misplaced the stone that Wal was referring to in the above quote so I didn't get a chance to test it 8.(

Turn it 90deg to its axis and if it changes colour to a blue with a slight tinge of green it's a sapphire. If it stays the same colour it's most likely glass. ;)

Wal.

Latest posts