Moranbah Diamonds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has found any Moranbah diamonds?
Now that I live up here, I intend to find a few.

I went looking yesterday in several places that 1 of my local mates said they are found but all I could find was notjing but iron rocks as far as the eye can see.

Anybody who has had a go got any tips?

Got seives? Just did a quick search, they are actually a type of Quartz crystal which cut very nicely, hope you get some, they look great in pics when cut.

I explored around the pistol club and didn't find any areas that even had pebbles, it was all a sandy muddy clay.
Up above the Rc track was mega ironstone territory, and the powerlines tracks were more ironstone and sandstone.

How far in at the pistol club do i go? As I explored a fair bit in there and couldn't find any patches worth checking.

BrisJoe said:
I explored around the pistol club and didn't find any areas that even had pebbles, it was all a sandy muddy clay.
Up above the Rc track was mega ironstone territory, and the powerlines tracks were more ironstone and sandstone.

How far in at the pistol club do i go? As I explored a fair bit in there and couldn't find any patches worth checking.

I will be in town late Tuesday afternoon if you want company to try some luck. Have no idea where the pistol club is or where to look but keen to take advantage of an hour of daylight for a scratch around.

PM me if you are interested.

Wally

At the RC club did you go straight ahead or to the left BrisJoe? It's a pretty big area out there just have to watch out for the motorbike riders and the 4x4's. I've been interested in having a look myself :)

I went up the top of the hill and explored around all the way back to the tip up the back.
Lots an lots of iron stone up there.

i read about these in an old gold gem&treasure mag i have apparently the quartz crystal there is very close to the hardness of a topaz and cuts very well, not sure how much they are worth but it would be nice in a collection that's for sure. good luck with your hunt

Let me know how you.go Susan, I looked around the sands the others a while and couldn't find any patches worth stopping for. Just lots and lots of car bodies

I worked on the Moranbah intersection (BP) last year one of the grader operators found a few clear quartz/ topaz rocks on the job. Another found a small cluster of crystals while building the entrance to the Bechtel/Caval Ridge camp just before the airport.
I didn't know what they were. They might have been these.

Hey Joe, definitely heading out there Tuesday afternoon.

Susan, please be sure to leave a big x marks the spot on the ground so the booty can be located. :p if you are around late Tuesday afternoon I will be scratching around.

Wally

I will definitely keep you guys informed on how we go, we are going to take the kids out too :)

Hey Wally, if yoy can meet me on the corner at FlexiHire on Goon road, I'll meet you there between 3.30 and 4 on Tues when I knock off at the mine

Found some :D

Lower left one is absolutely beautiful, clarity exceeds my expectations. Can't wait to cut it.

Back on Tuesday afternoon to chase some more. :p

1393757786_image.jpg

Had a productive arvo with Wally today.

My biggest rock was a sunbaker on theory back to the car next to a pile of petrified wood.

2dipslh.jpg

2lw3j8o.jpg

Look forward to more at that special patch wal.

Latest posts