Has any one seen this before

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1392694794_image.jpg
I found it today while gemstoning it was about 2 ft down in the river

Hi Simon, not granite or basalt , looks like some sort of river amalgum with lots of quarts showing , my guess anyway and i am no expert , maybe Wal&Liz can enlighten you ? perhaps if you bust it up there
might be a gem or two inside . :p

Looks to ba a conglomerate of river settlements. They set like concrete over time.

Quartz conglomerate - crush and pan, you never know what may lurk inside.

Goodluck

But will go back and get the other bits and see what else I can find I might even keep the tin I found as well this is what I found to day
1392722383_image.jpg

I wouldn't give up on the one piece, by the size and shape of the quartz, it looks like it has settled at the bottom of a turbulent hole at some stage in prehistory. It might be worth crushing a bit more up and seeing if any prizes jump out.

Hi Wally what u mean by prizes jumping out (gold or gemstones) and y would it be down so deep in the river could I build a sluice box to run every thing through and will it catch the gemstones I'll have to build a pot n dolly to crush it

Actually I think it may be a chunk from a Pegmatite. Pegmatites hold all sorts of chunky crystals and minerals, could be some very nice finds to be made nearby if it is.

I could be wrong though.

Latest posts