What stones do you think these are? Anyone....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1392641380_image.jpg

What gems can you see .

Help........ :cool:

Can you supply some more information, such as where they came from, what the geology was, what they sorted with in the sieve/pan, etc?

They sort of look like Zircons but sort of not, I'm stumped. Though if they are from the Diamond mine you've been playing in I'd buy a $20 Diamond tester.

Hope they are mate.

Green is an unusual colour for diamonds, and some of the stones (particularly the green ones) look waterworn. I don't think diamonds, which are harder than everything else, can even become waterworn, can they?

The only thing i can say is that all my sapphires look completely different, some smooth rounded, others jaged, zircons all rounded, but when looking at other softer stones in the river iron, quartz, granite so forth they seem to have sharper edges. It's hard to think that anything in the river is going to wear the hardest or second hardest of a compound. I believe they come straight from the volcano that shape, but i still think alot are broken afterwards, love the mystery

mfdes said:
Green is an unusual colour for diamonds, and some of the stones (particularly the green ones) look waterworn. I don't think diamonds, which are harder than everything else, can even become waterworn, can they?

I agree about the colour but not all diamonds are octahedral, I've seen rough Diamonds that look waterworn at Inverell and there are thousands of pics on the net of rounded looking roughs.

Green one looks like a Sapphire to me also.

Anyway be good to find out for sure.

Don't forget Zircons are up there with Diamonds as far as refractive index goes (sparkle and fire etc), easy way to tell the difference is Zircon has a strong double refraction and it's softer on the Mohs scale. I'd also check the Specific gravity there's a few videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Cheers

Col

I'm stretching my memory here but,
there is a home test you can do for diamonds, put some grease on a tile, hold tile at slight angle and let the item you want to test slide down, diamonds will not be stopped or slowed when it hits the grease. other minereals will be.
regards tm

Does a diamond tester just give a yes/no or will it identify if it they are sapphire/topaz/zircon etc?

gives a number and buzzer goes off easy to use make sure your wifes wedding ring is real that is the first thing they test with it :)

Wally69 said:
Does a diamond tester just give a yes/no or will it identify if it they are sapphire/topaz/zircon etc?

Hey Wally,

You can buy these Presidium Electronic Gem Gemstone Diamond Tester, they test a hole spectra of stones and I have one on my to buy list ;)

Cheers

Col

Wow ,
What a response ,and thank you all,they were sieved and would not go to the centre ,in between the middle and outside is where they hang,the coloured ones don't change colour.any angle same colour

The grease trick very interesting
The diamond tester mentioned Col ,sounds nice ,are on eBay if so have you got a pic or where to get.
A couple of these put a very fine scratch on a saph,very fine wet after scratch and can see still see the scratch just,not like a diamond on glass but ..

Thank you all again
Varts.. ;)

This is a must....

And one will be in my possession very soon

Thanks wally .

Hey gold689 I think I am going to get a bigger bumbag. :lol:

Latest posts