Funny/Scary Animal encounters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many moons ago when I still lived out west, we had a mice plague.
One night I sat in a dark room with 3 mice traps and a bucket.
1 trap in front and one each side.
By the time I'd empty one trap the others had gone off.
65 mice in half hour.

That was in the house. For the shed we used to empty the pellets from shotgun shells and replace them with wheat.
Open the shed door and blast away. The wheat would kill mice but not damage anything else to much.

Diggerdude said:
Brumble-Gum said:
In Clermontfirst oked down and saw this "Hairy Rock' in my scoop while dividing soil with my bare hands to retrieve a target.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1569/1391683074_imag0232.jpg

Bugger that Bubnlegum! I love gold, but hate spiders more. Id be packing the van up an heading somewhere else if I got one of them in my scoop.

DD

After some choice words I gently put down the scoop. She casually walked off. Legs and all it was the size of a 50 cent piece.
She didn't bite me and I didn't squash her. The first trap door spider I have ever seen.

Diggerdude said:
We could here a strange noise outside the van one day in WA, Dudette went outside to investigate. I thought the bloody van was on fire the way she did the runner as soon as she got out the door!
Ended up it was a 5ft Bungarra licking the drain pipe of the van. Her reaction was priceless, wish I had it on film :D .

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/diggerdude1/24b1e74623d95579fcfd9c960f9d947b.jpg

DD

Not really the same thing but im glad it was the type with legs ;)
1391750882_img_2014020717239.jpg

However I did encounter a red belly black checking out my pump one day. But he took one look at me and buggered off.
Greg

Spiders while driving are never good encounters. Was riding the old CB900 around to a mates place from my parents place, when I saw the tips of spidery looking feet appear above my eyes on the top of the helmet, had no visor...... Anyway I thought from the colour that it was only a small Huntsman, was nearly at mates place, packing death, trying to keep calm. Pulled into his paddock and stopped slowly and tossed the helmet.

Damn spider was the biggest Huntsman I'd ever seen, must have been on the bike or something. Anyway, just gotta keep calm in situations like that, jumping off the bike doing 90 was not an option.

I feel for you Paul with that one, I don't like spiders either mate.

Ramjet said:
Many moons ago when I still lived out west, we had a mice plague.
One night I sat in a dark room with 3 mice traps and a bucket.
1 trap in front and one each side.
By the time I'd empty one trap the others had gone off.
65 mice in half hour.

That was in the house. For the shed we used to empty the pellets from shotgun shells and replace them with wheat.
Open the shed door and blast away. The wheat would kill mice but not damage anything else to much.

I remember that plague Rod , they would lift a sheet of tin & there would be 10 gazillion mice bolting , very unnerving if you feared them

I dont mind huntsmans. They are pretty harmless. when the missus gets the shits with the ones that make it inside I usually pick them up with a paper towl and place them outside again.
However they can scare the living crap out of you when you least expect it. I was dtiving into the sunset one afternoon. Seeing the road was hard enough but then from the outside of the car one ran strait up the windscreen towards the roof.
The shadow of the spider on my dirty windscreen at the time made the spider seem twice the size it really was.
Blasted thing near gave me a heart attack and needed new undies too
Greg

I hate Huntsmen and all others of their family :mad:

A few years ago, I was on my way to the city from the Northern Beaches while on duty and as I was climbing the hill at the Spit, a huge huntsman ran from the outside of the roof of my vehicle and onto my hand.

I could only mutter some choice words and drive up on the footpath near the speed camera and in a single action, hit the lights to stop someone running up my butt and jump out of the vehicle at the same time and do the "bugger off, bugger off" dance in the face of oncoming traffic.

As luck would have it, one of the senior officers and another car drove by and I could see the buggers were killing themselves as it wasn't hard to know what was happening.

I copped heaps for months afterwards and each time a huntsman appeared anywhere in the building, guess whose name got called :8 :8 :8

headbut said:
Their best trick, as Headsup wrote , is to drop from your sun visor when you pull in down 8.(

actually i had an experience that showed me how mischievous they are , i vaguely recall i might have posted this before but here it is again.

I was sitting in front of my computer one day when a hunstman "abseiled down" a spinarette of silk from my ceiling , coming to a stop exactly halfway between my face and the computer screen where he stopped and just bounced there in front of my face.

The poor bugger must have been expecting a scream or tantrum or something but i disappointed him , i just looked at him and said hello .

after a few seconds he started climbing back up his thread but i got a pen and wrapped it around his silk and carried over to shtick it on the bookshelf next to me.

you cant tell me it was accidental , he measured that gap perfectly , and also precisely measured where to stop so he would be right at my eye level.

i can only wonder at what he was thinking before he did it

Was diving off a12m drop off on the Central Coast......I was first over. The wife at the time waited at the top in around 5m of water. Landed on the bottom which was sandy with a lot of kelp with in a split second the most excruciating pain hit me in the knee region.
Thought I had been bitten by a wobbygong shark.
The wife said I shot to the surface and possibly walked on water for the first 50m.
She assisted me back to shore.
No blood visible... removed SCUBA gear and wet suit to find a 10mm puncture wound behind the maniscus (Knee cap) The pain was getting worse. She called an Ambulance conveyed me to hospital.

Stupid doctors had no idea.....I said a sting ray barb is the only possible answer.
Talk about num nuts....this indian intern says we be giving you some panadol......yeah right hairy back.
How about we see if the barb is still in there......wasn't that a mistake......talk about double the pain as they insert a probe 50mm into my knee.
By this time I had had enough and explained that it was a protein poison......and the only remedy was hot water.
This indian witch doctor says we do not have hot water in an emergency room we are medical doctors.
My reply could I have a cup of coffee and if there is any HOT WATER left in the jug just bring it here.
The nurses were pissing them selves laughing.
Hot water flush for 5 minutes pain has subsided to bearable level.
Talk about kangaroo short in the top paddock.
I then informed this lepracorn that I maybe need a rabbies vacination. Numnuts then turns to the nurse before he could open his choppers she informed him that we do not have Rabbies in Australia at this present time........and it would be near in possible to sourse an inoculation out side of India.
He discharged me as soon as he could.
cheers
TheSmithy

I could have been another Steve Irwin and ended up Famous.
No was definitely a Sting Ray.....the hot water confirmed that.

The pain kept re occurring every 48 hrs which also confirmed a Sting Ray barb poison.
shudder everytime I think about it.

I had a leech in the corner of my eye once and I got my mrs to put some salt on it, rather then butting a smoke in my eye... It took off under my eyelid to our surprise!

Hare_Twigga said:
I had a leech in the corner of my eye once and I got my mrs to put some salt on it, rather then butting a smoke in my eye... It took off under my eyelid to our surprise!

8.(

okay that one DID put a shiver up my neck

how big was it ?

and did you kill it several times to make sure there were no misunderstandings ?

Was only about 30mm long. It slipped back out about 20 mins later I believe but I never saw it, but did feel something slide down my cheek as I was driving into town and by the blood coming out of my eye and nose it had obviously let go... I was paranoid about leeches for a week or two after that. :|

Latest posts