What Method Do You Use So You Don't Get Lost in the Bush?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take all the credit cards with you , if you dont return home theres a good chance the missus will track you down ]:D

Seriously a quick look at the rivers creeks and valleys before i leave home is about all i do , but i do have a high sense of direction growing up on the land and hunting at night i guess builds that up.

I'm a compass person. Before i go into the bush. I work out a get me out of here bearing. That way if everything goes to **** i don't have the extra stress of trying to work out a bearing. I already know which way i need to head. Have i ever had to use it? No but it's well worth the extra 2 minutes of my time, in the comfort of my loungeroom

peter650 said:
I know this is a little bit of a old thread ?. It's just about impossible to get truly lost in the bush, but it's very easy to convince yourself that you are lost. Soon as you have convinced yourself that you are lost, you are in very serious trouble. I have seen people emotionally brake out bush, & it's virtually impossible to get them thinking right again. The only thing that will truly prevent you, from thinking that you are lost, is familiarity. If you camp out of you r pockets, find water, shelter, food out bush, navigation becomes very easy because you have pulled the teeth out of the tiger.

yeah..nah. Very easy to get lost in the bush if you don't have at least some basic navigation experience and a general idea of where you are to begin with. Proper preparation is sadly lacking in many instances.
There's usually a few every year over here and one or two cases where it ends badly.

Often the bush will kill them before they are either found or find their way out.

Madtuna people go up the Blue Mountain's bushwalking and "get lost". But are they really lost, or just scared??? They would know if they went into the budh on the Southern, or Northern side of the hwy. They would also know that the coast is East of their current position. People don't get lost, they panic.

peter650 said:
Madtuna people go up the Blue Mountain's bushwalking and "get lost". But are they really lost, or just scared??? They would know if they went into the budh on the Southern, or Northern side of the hwy. They would also know that the coast is East of their current position. People don't get lost, they panic.

No matter which way you put a spin on it, if you don't know where the heck you are, if you can't find your way out, chances are you're lost.

People panic because they are lost, and sadly over here in WA just as in the Blue mountains, too many die because they are lost.

When I first started out I bought a pair of small two ways so I could keep in contact with my wife [she always comes with me in case I croak it while in the bush] but I got lost one day just south of Maryborough because I was out of range of the car. At the time I thought there must be a better way and Ive thought of a compass [that I cant read] and a GPS [that I don't have].
With all the idiots torching cars these days, I try not to go out of sight of the vehicle. I know that probably hampers my ability to find gold but what can you do? Mind, I do drive a Captiva and the places Ive driven that in the past while in the Triangle is a great testament to its all wheel drive capacity.

Tassie Daz said:
When I first started out I bought a pair of small two ways so I could keep in contact with my wife [she always comes with me in case I croak it while in the bush] but I got lost one day just south of Maryborough because I was out of range of the car. At the time I thought there must be a better way and Ive thought of a compass [that I cant read] and a GPS [that I don't have].
With all the idiots torching cars these days, I try not to go out of sight of the vehicle. I know that probably hampers my ability to find gold but what can you do? Mind, I do drive a Captiva and the places Ive driven that in the past while in the Triangle is a great testament to its all wheel drive capacity.
Daz a compass is a very easy thing to use. All it does is point to magnetic North. Would take you about 20 minutes maximum to learn how to use one.

Tonights episode of "I shouldn't be alive" on 7two is about a bloke named Theo, a prospector from Vic who got lost on the station next to me a few years ago.
This bloke was inches away from death when he was finally found.

madtuna said:
Tonights episode of "I shouldn't be alive" on 7two is about a bloke named Theo, a prospector from Vic who got lost on the station next to me a few years ago.
This bloke was inches away from death when he was finally found.
Yes i watched that it was a comedy of errors from the start hope he has now learnt

Bermuda Triangle flight 19 is a classic example of what happens when someone panics, & then becomes lost. It's important to have confidence in your ability to deal with unplanned camping trips.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed Geo Tracker - an app designed for Android phones. I believe it's free - at least I've not yet been charged for it by Google Play Store.

Simply start the app and press "Record" and until you "Stop" or "Pause" you'll have your track GPS recorded. It's accurate, with position within the width of a roadway, and you can place "pins" on your track from time to time as you wish. It also measures and records speeds, changes in elevation, etc. If you have internet connection when app is started it'll load a local area map background and keep displaying the track on a map background even if you go out if internet range.

The user can save/export/email/share track data in various formats so they can be subsequently loaded into Google Earth. I always save a local satellite view of any prospecting area into Google and have it on hand throughout the day. So Geo Tracker would be quite useful for finding your way back to an area you might want to revisit in the future.

I've run a couple of tests with it - one lasting several hours over 30 or 40km in a vehicle - the other for several hours over a few square kilometres detecting on foot - battery drain seems reasonable.

Not the ultimate in GPS solutions, but very handy nevertheless

Phil

Have a pack of cards with you ,,,,start playing , some one will look over your shoulder and say put the red diamond on the black queen,,,,,,for sure

And that folks, is why they put a pack of cards in a survival pack on inflatible lifeboats.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts