What Method Do You Use So You Don't Get Lost in the Bush?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I use one method which some of you might raise an eyebrow at.

Its not a good feeling to be lost where in my case I would have to deal with Anxiety.

I am interested in hearing what methods you use and will be intrigued if someone else uses my method which I will share with you after a few replies.

My method requires no reliance on a GPS or the sun.

So the question is: What Method Do You Use So You Don't Get Lost in the Bush?

Have used before and works well bright ribbon tied to tree or branches...works well
Have also used the same when kayaking down creeks with different run offs :cool:

If you're serious and you venture any real distance from your car without a GPS in a new area .....all the very best of luck to you....more often than not you will need it. :|

Cheers Wal.

I use a GPS, correct compass setup with the arrow pointing to my car and 400 metres of quality rope

which follows me when heading out. I carry a camel back full of water, matches and some tin tuna.

You can't just rely on a GPS :D

If you're only 400m from the car just drag a short chain...it'll leave an impression even in semi grassed areas. Your compass will only point "north",.... can i suggest you don't walk in a northerly direction from your car, as you may then need your can of tuna and the camel back.... ;)

Cheers Wal.

I always know where I am. Caveat to that, I've not extensively walked around the desert watching a coil. Will probably have a GPS for when I get to those locations though. That and a good topo I love topo maps.

If you venture out 300 metres from your car across 2 gullies on a cloudy day where the ground looks the same and there are no distinctive markings
its hard in my view to figure out exactly where you are. Its where intuition comes in though. Its better to be safer by taking precautions.

In the city if I am lost I know why way around without looking at a map. You get a sense where North is. Its a skill I suppose you learn in the Bush
as well where all you can see is trees rather than flat ground with the occasional Bushes.

Intuition and "Gut Feeling" on a cloudy day, is not a reliable source of direction....it will catch you out every time. Just learn to use your GPS and become familiar with it and you'll always be home for dinner.

Cheers Wal.

Before entering a new area I research the areas by studying Google Earth and topo maps, remembering roads, rivers and property fences etc.
I try to keep creeks and gullies to one side, remember digging/tracks as I go. Having a 5000 also allows me to know when planes fly over, trucks and motorcycle shift their gears or mines use their radios if nearby. If worse comes to worse I have my mobile phone (turned off) in my battery pouch which has a compass app on it.
Nothing worse than being bush whacked and have to retrace your steps.

hey Wolfau

I grew up in the bush I don't really tend to get lost as I have developed a few habits over the years, (not to say that I couldn't) for me a combination of dragging a foot when there's an opportunity to drawer a line, I like to brake branches at head height on my right on the way in. additionally I stop and take bearings whenever the landscape changes significantly but probably my favorite is to stack rocks. same as with the branch the rocks are stacked on the right side going in in top of each other at any junction. this is easy in the GT due to quartz being just about bloody everywhere. A line of rocks like you would see around half of a campfire means beware in the arc direction.

aside from that I don't think its rocket science these days to take stock of where you are and where your going. Like Wal said above dragging a chain will certainly increase your changes of finding your trail if you lose it.

Commonsense really take a phone, get a phone with GPS and use topo maps

A compass without a topo map showing landmarks will be of no use to you finding something as small as your car.

If you take a compass, take a topo map, mark your cars position on the track you're on, and study the surrounding landmarks making sure some are shown on your topo map. Then if you're familiar with map navigation you will find your way back with the compass. If you have never done it .....buy a GPS or learn to do it competently.

Cheers Wal.

Seriously my friends there is only one tried and true method to navigate safely on land.
yes we can use the suns direction....the stars at night follow a creek or river. Pretty useless if you do not know where you are to start with.
This is not comic book capers it is your life you are playing with.

A map of the area you are transversing as well as a quality reliable compass.
please do a course in map reading........there are countless books on navigation out there.

Yes a GPS by all means......I carry a couple of different brands models.
Lowance endura sierra
Garmin gpsmap 62s
both have different uses for different area.

how can a bit of rope take you to a designated area in the forest.....?

Batteries die.......deep ravines mask satelite reception........deep tree cover blocks satelites.
bad over cast days block reception.

Tropo maps and a compass never fail. Only the persons lack training or understanding will get you lost.

I travel to locations that when I past the last gate the only person that can save me is me.

I certainly do not put my life at risk or others.
constantly doing refresher courses on map reading and Gps as I may be required one day to save your life

There is and old saying you cant help those that can't help themselves.

It doesn't matter how tough you think you are the sun and lack of water is a perfect equalizer it will kill you every time.
Back you every time Wal........Common sense wins every time.
Cheers
Thesmithy
Fire Rescue NSW

Brumble-Gum said:
Before entering a new area I research the areas by studying Google Earth and topo maps, remembering roads, rivers and property fences etc.
I try to keep creeks and gullies to one side, remember digging/tracks as I go. Having a 5000 also allows me to know when planes fly over, trucks and motorcycle shift their gears or mines use their radios if nearby. If worse comes to worse I have my mobile phone (turned off) in my battery pouch which has a compass app on it.

This is about the same as what I do also and always made it back so far. Knowing which direction an unmissable landmark is essential, being able to walk in a certain direction to hit a road, fence, gully or other familiar landmark is my main navigational technique. Having studied my ipad which has moving maps showing mines, leads, topo overlayed on google earth before leaving the car, combined with this has never failed me yet.

Also when in WA I generally follow geology, as it's a lot clearer and easier to see changes where topo maps (which are mainly 1-250k over there) can be of too larger scale to use , as Wal mentioned.

DD

Brumble-Gum said:

It is pretty useless pulling out a compass after you are lost if you do not have a map to reference it to a landmark.
As point 1
Where was your starting point N, S, E, W of your present location.

point 2
How far have you travelled and in which direction.

point 3
Where is your vehicle
Nobody is that good that they can just say over there. As Wal said good luck.

People that become lost in the bush, outback, plains that are found state that they will never do it again. THATS RIGHT NEVER GO OUT AGAIN
Data and stats confirm that they never do ever........The experience is enough to scare the crap out of them.

I travel the Macquarie marshs pig hunting on horse back......it is called the channel country..!
There are no roads, no fences, no tracks, no land marks........just marshs and channels.
it is an enormous
I carry maps, compass, Gps! Packet 20 batterys now.
have been doing it for 30 years.
No Gps then. I always knew that we would make it back safely to the horse float attached to the vehicle.
Why.........when we had finished hunting for the day just turn my horses head around drop the reins over his neck sit back lite a smoke and enjoy the journey back to the truck.
A fact the horse is the only animal on earth that will walk a straight line home or as straight as possible. In my case back to the float as he knew that is where his feed was.
3 different horses never failed me in 30 years.

Another fact humans will always walk in a circle never a straight line.......so there goes I will walk straight to the car theory.
We all have 1 leg a tad longer or 1 foot a tad bigger.

so back to navigation.......line the compass reading (bearing) up with a land mark walk to that land mark.
do the same again...line up compass to land mark walk to next land mark.......this is the only way a human can walk in a straight line for a long distance.
if you have to deviate due to a steep hill.......go at right angles counting your steps.......to come back on course after deviation.......turn in opposite direction counting steps again.
This will put you pretty well back on course.

this will only work if you know where you started from.
Triangulation if you know how to read a map will find your location by land marks.
Reverse triangulation also works well again if you know how to map read.

2 bearing marks to locate a landmark. Used to plot a course to a given location.

This is something I have a passion for as it is an art to plot a bearing on a map then just using a compass and map walk to that bearing using point to point navigation on arrival checking with your GPS and finding you are within 10 to 20 metres of that map bearing.

Then doing a different return bearing using map and compass and coming to the original starting point.
Easy to do with a GPS you say.......try it some time and get back to me.
Not a 100 metre but 10klm in both directions on foot.
cheers
TheSmithy.

Latest posts