How to avoid RSI?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_N

Brian
Reaction score
Right now my hand, arm and back are all aching from 4 hours of repetative swinging action this morning, usually it takes a few days for the pain to ease up. Other than taking regular breaks what do you guys do to reduce RSI?

I found the more I go swinging, the less pain I'm in. If I have a break from detecting for awhile, and go back out and go hard it hurts like hell. But after a few days the pains seem to disappear. So I guess the more you do it, the less it hurts!

My suggestion is look at your action. It is normal to have some sorness if you do 3-4 after not doing any detecting for a while. But if detecting regularly you should be able togo for hours without getting sore at all. Only my thoughts but I did get sore first 2-3 times very quicky then changed action slightly & no more sorness.

Cheers guys, I hear swimming helps to loosen up the mussels so I might give that a try, otherwise I'll keep working on my technique.

I'm disabled early with brittle bones (fractured spine) & bad arthritis so it's put a serious lean on my detecting "career" & digging stamina. I use a hipstick and a swing arm fitted to my ML5K to help me keep going. Highly recommend investing in these items & way less fatiguing. You can easily make a swing arm yourself so you use both arms for the action. I also wear a sturdy magnetic back brace (does not affect the coil) & carry plenty of Elmore Oil to keep the joints going. I need a hand brace too sometimes in order to hold the flippin' pick or scoop. Clutter! Your swinging arm will toughen up anyway with regular adventures out bush. If you're lucky enough to have a trusted person who can give you a decent massage afterwards - even better! Good luck.

Agree with Goldylox on the hip stick.....makes a real difference especially with the larger coils....The bungie can help with the smaller coils...and doing 10 sit ups each night before going to bed can do wonders in the log term.

Latest posts