New Aim MD 3500. Marketed as Deep Target Sensitive Metal Detector Snoo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok i have looked everywhere, searched the forums, google searched looked far and wide to find a review on this machine all to no avail....

It has finally arrived my first ever detector, Im more excited than a kid in a candy store i take it home force the girls to go to sleep so i can unwrap and put together this piece of financial freedom... This wonderful machine i have been dreaming about since i was 10 years old when i saw my first detector in Big W for $68... This beautiful black and aluminium machine that will lead me to my pirates chest full of gold coins and jewellery all the while picking up rings and coins every other day, with a discrimanator soooo good i wont dig one piece of junk iron or ringpull and a depth of up to 3 metres (for large items ;) Im guessing a tin shed hidden by a sheet)

So i carefully unwrap it like a child on christmas morning trying not to wake anyone, gently put the peices together and install the batteries, pick it up and give it a swing to see how it feels. It is very light, very plastic and it feels like i will brake it very quickly.

Time for a test, i pick it up, put the headphones on, turn it on and nearly throw the bloody thing volume was on full and as soon as it got near the floor im guessing it picked up the rio in the concrete. Ok looks like it works...

Back on the table for some air tests, firstly a 5c peice, at full sensitivity in all metal mode the detector picked up the flat side at +-30cm
Next a $1 coin same thing +-30cm
Next a gold ring, the one i was most interested in, +-25cm
Next a stainless steel knife +-40cm

Doing these air tests all of them on the depth gauge were max (over 6inch)

The 5c and $1 regestered as 1c and 25c on the detectors metal type, the gold ring registered as a nail/bottle cap, and the knife registered as an s-cap?

So all in all it detects metal, i havent had a chance to take it out side yet because of rain, but later today hopefully it will get its first run in the sand pit.

Cost: $105 Delivered from Ebay seller OzLiving

The detector operates at the Very Low Frequency (VLF), 6.6 KHz

Respond to all type of metal object

3 Operation Modes:
-All Metal (Detect all kinds of metal)
-Disc (Discriminate metal type)
-Notch (Eliminate some objects)

LCD Displays:
-Depth of Target
-Sensitivity
-Disc/Notch
-Metal Type
-Low Battery Sign

Max. Sensitivity: 18cm

Current: 25mA(Static), 30mA(Dynamic)

3 Tones to indicate different types of metal

Auto Ground Balance

2" Speaker

8"(200mm) Waterproof Search Coil

Frequency:6.6kHz appox.

2 x 9V Batteries Required

Review Take 2 will be put up when i finish the outside test

Cheers, Hope it helps somebody.

Camoyakker.

I think i should have bought an aldi one instead of this one, the Aldi one has a straight through ali shaft where as this one comes in two parts and the hand grip is part of the control unit.... See how long it takes me to brake it.

You'll probably pay it off with coins before breaking it I'd say. Seems to be a lot of cheap detectors coming out now with the same specs. I wonder if they are all from the same factory, even the coils look the same.

hi,
i decided i wanted to get into detecting so i did a little research and bought a cheap detector on ebay.

i have used it 4 times since i got it this week and have found around 10bucks in aussie decimal coins.

im having a lot of trouble when i get down to the salt water line. on dry sand it picks up a half centremetre rusted nail.
but it goes crazy when i get down to the beach line.
forums i have read said that i should search for particular metals only and turn down the sensitivity.

this may sound strange but a 5c piece i find is just as valuable to me as a gold ring.
so i dont wanna miss out on any decimal coins.

i also collect coins so i know most predecimal aussie coins have 50% 80% or 92.5% silver value.
but i like the pennies.

also i really want to get out into the bush and go hunting for a couple of kilo nuggests! hehehee
i heard there is no gold to be found on the central coast as its a coal area.
but i also heard that a guy in the 1800's found gold at wyong creek.
so im not sure.

does anybody have any info or second hand knowledge on any gold found on the central coast?

i bought a fossicking permit for me and my wife so we can go into state forests and go a hunting.

any advice is more than welcome please.
thanks beau

Unfortunately a cheap detector will not balance to salt (a lot of more expensive ones won't either). You'll have similar issues on most goldfields ground too. In reality to tackle salt or goldfields ground properly you need to use detectors that can specifically handle those situations.
This may be of interest:
www.alisonhomestead.wordpress.com/tag/wollombi/
May not be entirely out of possibilities to be gold there but there was a few fraudulent claims back in the day too as everyone wanted a rush of money to their town & crying Eureka attracted interest.

Latest posts