G'Day prospectors From YellowFever in Kilmore VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow prospectors i hope all are well in the new year and finding lots of gold!! I have only been prospecting a year or so now but have always had the interest there. I started out using a Tesoro silver umax then went up to a Tesoro golden umax and finally ended up with a Tesoro Lobo Supertrac! Just the last few months i haven't touched the detector at all! I am officially HOOKED on SLUICING!!! I find it extremely addictive and exciting, all my sluices are home made (yes i said all my sluices cause I've built 3 of the buggers already!) and i have been putting a great deal of research into various styles of riffle angles, spacings, height, width and flow. Plus research into matting etc. I'm sure most if not all of you who sluice have tried variations already though. I have been browsing this forum as a guest for a while now and thought i had better become a member lol i look forward to meeting other prospectors in my area and interstate and sharing pics and knowledge.

Cheers
YellowFever

Welcome YellowFever, it's sounds like you've put a lot of time into your research, I hope the forum serves as another useful resource on your quest to find the yellow stuff. I also look forward to seeing some pics of your home built Sluice's sometime :)

Nugget.

Hi Ag Man and hi Nugget thanks for the welcome! Ag Man I just had a look at the member Hunting The Yellow and i thought his profile picture looked familiar! Its Simeon, I'm friends with him on Facebook. I only know him through prospecting forums etc but am keen to get out and prospect with him one day soon! Ive also located some mine shafts in the area that i would like for Hunting the Yellow to check out as i know he loves the old mines!! Nugget i have been researching until my eyes cross lol but i know it will be worth it in the end. I have been browsing this forum for a while as a guest and enjoy and utilise the knowledge that both of you and others put into the forum. I will post pics of the sluices on the weekend when I'm hopefully out giving them a run! Thanks again for the welcome and its great to finally be a part of your forum

Cheers
YellowFever

Welcome to the forum YF. Glad you took the plunge and joined up mate. I'm sure you'll find interacting much more enjoyable than just sitting on the fence.

Looks like you're enjoying that sluicing by the number of sluices in your arsenal.....but like yourself i say you can never have too many sluices in the garage, :D

Best of luck with it,

Cheers Wal

Thanks again for the warm welcomes! BoydWilliam i spend a lot of time in the area around us prospecting! We have some promising ground around the area thats for sure! GoldDig@ if your ever over this way feel free to shout out. It would be great to meet new prospectors! WalnLiz i am truly ADDICTED to sluicingi am actually building a backpack sluice today! I think i have way too much time on my hands at the moment lol

will shout out mate, time and promising ground..... that's a dangerous mix you may have just found a little bit of heaven :)

Yes... yes it is a dangerous mix :D i just had a look at your website mate thats a nice setup you have going there well done!! I just laughed my head off when i read "prospecting has taken over your other hobbies!" that you wrote in the "about me" section. How true is that lol i am a fishing fanatic and have a couple of fishing pages on Facebook and the sad part is i have almost lost complete interest in fishing! Prospecting has taken over pretty much ALL aspects of my life lol gold fever should be put on the registry for a diagnosed illness!! Thats what all my mates say because i never seem to have time to do anything except prospect :D

:) funniest thing happend just an hour ago my missus text me and said why dont you take me fishing this weekend.... we haven't been fishing for ages :) funny isn't it all the gear you spend on hobbies and this is the only one that actually puts money back in your pocket. I just love it, in fact i'm off to walk the dog... (finish cleaning out a crevis i found) :) right now

Yellowfever, i must admit that i have been known to have a rod or 2 in the water whilst im running my sluice!!
Im still very green when it comes to prospecting, but i intend to get right into it in the coming months!
Ill shoot you a PM when you get to 10 posts.

Welcome aboard yellow fever, I must admit river work is addictive...only problem is when it runs out 8.( I never fail to smile when I see the gold in the bottom of the pan, what ever size it is :D
The creeks around here stop flowing fairly early..doesn't sound like an issue where you are.

Cheers and best of luck

RR

hahaha @ Golddigg what a pisser i throw out the same sort of excuses to get out and prospect myself :D and true this is the only hobby i have made money off besides making timber lures which i have almost stopped doing now also!!! BoydWilliam i have seriously thought about throwing some lures about when I'm prospecting up king parrot ck but i always seem to forget my rod :) some top trout fishing up there too :D sounds good about the PM mate i need someone nearby who prospects! My only prospecting mate is my brother inlay and he lives up echuca mama way so we only tend to get out chasin the yell every couple of weeks where as i am usually out every day not sluicing but just doing my own "surveying" and loaming. Rambling Rude addictive it is :D and most of the creeks around the area here have well and truly stopped flowing unfortunately but there are the odd few up in the hills that have enough flow to run, i have just purchased a 4 stroke pump (ebay special) but a mate has the same one and has flogged it for over 6months now without any issues. It should arrive in a week and i am in the process of rigging up the pipework and spray bar. Where in central vic are you located Rambling Rude? I may be able to point you in the direction of some flowing water if your not too far from me.

Hi YF, I'm just out of Woodend. I generally head out behind Castlemain to HB and pan and
swing the coil. The creeks have dried up out this way since the last heat wave :(

Cheers
RR

Rambling rude said:
Hi YF, I'm just out of Woodend. I generally head out behind Castlemain to HB and pan and
swing the coil. The creeks have dried up out this way since the last heat wave :(

Cheers
RR

your a luck man being over near castlemaine, if I were in that area i'd be running a dry blower for sure.

Woodends only about 30mins from me Rambling Rudehow do yo go with your HB around castle main? How do you go with your 5k? Theres some nice spots around Lancefield to prospect. Golddigg@ I'm curious about dry blowing as I've never tried itis it as productive as say crevicing and running through a sluice? I know it depends on area etc but i would love to build a dry blower if its worthwhile :D

YellowFever said:
Woodends only about 30mins from me Rambling Rudehow do yo go with your HB around castle main? How do you go with your 5k? Theres some nice spots around Lancefield to prospect. Golddigg@ I'm curious about dry blowing as I've never tried itis it as productive as say crevicing and running through a sluice? I know it depends on area etc but i would love to build a dry blower if its worthwhile :D

Hi YF, sorry for late response been doing some surf fishing past few days..

HB is good fun and always seem to find color, biggest problem is water of coarse and when there is finally some flow
It is generally the colder time of year. Cold and wet is what happens..have to work harder with the pick to warm up.
There are some dams out there but they are generally to far to b of any use.

I would say nearly all diggings areas have been gone over by detectors at some time, you can see the evidence everywhere
But when you get away from those areas there is still a bit of gold to be found. Some of the ground is heavily mineralized
And can cause the coil to play up at times,
Cheers

RR

Hi RR, how did you go fishing?

I always find gold in the sluice, only been one outing where i didn't. I grew up here so am used to the cold and i also have spent considerable time overseas in colder climates like Alaska, Canada etc
I have had several metal detectors but too be honest i am more partial to other forms of prospecting. I prefer to hunt the yellow without using electronics. One day electronics will be the death of gold!

I also purchased a pump for use in no flow situations, but there are still the odd creeks that are flowing (just)
The ground here is extremely mineralised but i never had too much trouble with the Tesoros i have owned.
Yes a lot of the goldfields have been exploited through detecting but there are still plenty of areas unscathed if you search hard enough!

What area do you hit the surf beaches RR?

YF

Latest posts