Need some "Tall Stories" from all the Fisherman on the forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha yeh she was ecstatic :) she still gets very excited every time one of us catches a fish :) since that photo she has caught a few more bream and hooked a large carp (I had to help her reel in the carp lol :)

DSC01255.JPG

My best ever catch off the beach ... 1.35m jewie caught one evening last summer on NSW South Coast - freshly caught tailor fillet for bait.

Nice fish! But I thought they were called mulloways in nsw (ie slightly different species to those up north? I have only ever caught one so aint an expert tho :)

HeadsUp said:
not a big fish story but an amazing one

i took 4 year old to Brooklyn ( Hawksbury River north of Sydney )

we both tossed our lines in the water , i was holding my rod but he put his down on the jetty

Next minute Ka-TWANG and his whole fishing rod shot off from the jetty and disappeared across the water . we thought its gone . not much you can do

5 minutes later i thought i would pull mine up and check the bait and when i did , my hook was bare except it was wrapped around the handle of his reel.

So we picked up his rod again and wound it in , complete with the 2 kg jewfish that stole it in the first place

hows that for a fluke ?

:)

A similar thing happened to me....

We were carp hunting at a local lake, it was winter, it was cold. I didn't set my drag properly and left the rod precariously leaning against a low wall. The rod took off landing in the water and got sucked down (well we lost it from view anyway). About 5 minutes later we spotted what we thought was the reel a fair distance away. My boyfriend jumped in the very very cold lake (Canberra in winter is cold!), swam out to it and dragged it back. Now keep in mind that he is a land lubber and not a strong swimmer, plus it was a cheap as rod, think I bought it for about $15.

He came back in with the rod, i reeled it in and big arsed carp was still on the end of the line, seemingly exhausted from dragging my rod around. :)

We got married about a year later, but it was on that day that I knew he was a keeper. :D the fish on the other hand....

Sarn said:
My boyfriend jumped in the very very cold lake (Canberra in winter is cold!), swam out to it and dragged it back. Now keep in mind that he is a land lubber and not a strong swimmer, plus it was a cheap as rod, think I bought it for about $15.

He came back in with the rod, i reeled it in and big arsed carp was still on the end of the line, seemingly exhausted from dragging my rod around. :)

We got married about a year later, but it was on that day that I knew he was a keeper. :D the fish on the other hand....

laughed my azz off when i read that . :D

thankyou

WalnLiz said:
Hi Guys,

I can't believe that all you guys on the Central Coast who swing the wand on the beach don't chuck a line in your spare time. Be good to get some "Tall"...and true stories of some of the one's which did and didn't get away. The Flatty in the pic went just over a metre and was caught in the Clyde River at Batemans Bay. She was released shortly after to go and make more baby flatties for next season.

Love to see some pics and stories from the rest of you guys.....cheers, Wal :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/147/1361061705_img_0005_598x800.jpg
So glad some people have an understanding on breeders, and know how to treat these fish . That one will produce millions of eggs. Yet taste dry and crap ... Why keep it ? Good on you , I try and educate people around here , not many listen .
If anybody is in the sydney area and wants to fish , let me know . I have what I call my poverty charter vessels ! A little yacht on pittwater , a punt on narrabeen lakes( am the guru there for whiting on surface or flathead) the bastards at the tackle shop tell people to follow me around! Want to kill them. Oh ... And a offshore runabout in the carport , so if your swinging by , give me a yell. Strange though .... Seem to be heading out to goldfields , so not much fishing!

Got this barra on a prawn while fishing the mouth of the Mossman River, north of Port Douglas FNQ. Lived up there for some time but now moved back to Siberia (Bendigo in Victoria).
Tell everyone that I was sick of the barra, prawns and mudcrabs and had a hankering for yabbies and European Carp.
Anyway, after a coupla happy snaps the barra was released. Bit of a heart-starter 'swimming' the barra while eyeing off a croc that'd appeared on the bank opposite.
1383891192_barra.jpg

Just a heads up. If I ever offer to go fishing say no. I have been out for quiet a few trips and each one of them had one thing in common. Disaster.
When I used to go with dad when I was younger everything that could ever go wrong did.
I'm pretty sure im the reason for it. Pretty sure.im cursed lol.
Heres a list of things just off the top of my head.
The boat broke down in middle of wyangala damn. My older brother and myself had to swim back to land while dad attempted to paddle the tinny back.
catching seagulls in mid air from the bastards nicking the bait.
I actually had a small bream on the line once and ended up having to pull in a a pelican aswell.
ancors getting caught. (That was a pretty funny day actually.)
fishing hooks in eyelids. The list goes on.

Nothing as beautiful as a wild trout caught from the highlands around the NSW snowfields,,above the snow line.. fit colourful and fight way above their weight. And Wal, My fav way to cook fish besides smoking them ol trout is to bake over coals or good solid pan/ camp oven. coconut cream/ mangoes .. just fill the fish if whole, or normally i fillet and lay on a few decent bits al foil and pour the coconut cream and sliced mangoes over then wrap and bake.... yummmo..

Chees guys

Hey Jindy... troopys packed :eek: fly rod,.. check,..swag...check... plate and utensils... check...I'll throw in a bottle of wine.....when we goin' mate. :D

Cheers Wal.

Jindy Gold said:
Nothing as beautiful as a wild trout caught from the highlands around the NSW snowfields,,above the snow line.. fit colourful and fight way above their weight. And Wal, My fav way to cook fish besides smoking them ol trout is to bake over coals or good solid pan/ camp oven. coconut cream/ mangoes .. just fill the fish if whole, or normally i fillet and lay on a few decent bits al foil and pour the coconut cream and sliced mangoes over then wrap and bake.... yummmo..

Chees guys

bingo

thats a gem combination there mate

ever tried it with a few slivers of camembert cheese for aroma as well ?

Ok so I'm land based fisherman, usually hunting the redfin (there's no better freshwater fish in my opinion) through in cod, yellow belly, had a crack at trout etc. the two standout stories i have aren't you're typical i got the 100 lb cod. The first occurred a few years back. A mate was running a tassie devil lure over some turbulent water in a local deep stream just on dark, and Bang hit on 4kg monster rainbow trout, which he fought to the bank in less than half an hour. He got it to the taxidermist and still has it on his wall today, but there's more to the story. When we got back that night and took it from the esky there was something that immediately stood out....the old fighter had most of his tail bitten off! I can only guess what must have taken that chunk out it looked like abarracuda had been right on his 6 strangest thing I've ever seen fishing. The other surprise i got was fishing with my neither on an inlet channel to a large lake. Wed scored a few reddies in the still waters but thought we would head down into the drop of and see what w could flush out. Working our way toward the lake a the waters started to calm a little he cast in a large lure and got the most violent strike bending the he fought a brave battle for nearly two hours androd landed the beastie. He looked at me, i looked at him both puzzled. It was a salmon, but why, how? Well we took it home and blow me down they'd released them into the waterway about 4 years earlier as fingerlings, and here we had a full grown freshwater salmon which honestly did not taste as good as it looked. You just never know

Fishing long weekend Murry Cods most 34cm to 46cm, my largest 54cm and our friend 70cm all caught with cheese and my partner one tree :D twice :lol: and 1 carp 65cm.

Cant seem to upload photos from my phone but in 3 months holiday in Hervey Bay qld i have fished the urangan pier and caught the following on live bait herring....97cm Barra, 7lb threadfin salmon,6ft Dunbar(shovelnose),72cm flathead(and lost several metre ones)....11kg golden trevally and 4 others between 9kg and 5kg,9lb tarpon,more than 20 mackeral including school,spotted and broad bar up to 1.2m, 2x metre plus Hairtail (ribbon fish) and a number of different small sharks up to 6ft including black tip reef,hammerhead,school,cookie cutter shark and young lads there have pulled a few tigers this week between 14ft and 8ft,spanish mackeral and longtail bluefin and mac tuna ,great jetty to fish on! :D

That seems one hell of a great Pier for variety there mate. I will have to put that one on the bucket list for when I'm next up that way. Sounds like i may be able to leave the boat at home in the garage. Some impressive fish amongst that lot. :eek:

Cheers Wal.

its a great place and if you got a boat youre guaranteed fish up here around fraser island and the artificial reef ,the jetty can run hot and cold and is only really good lately when the tidal movement is lower and no wind and clear water and when you can get up the end past the army of young local lads lol also lost a +40lb barra there and been spooled several times :) i was stoked with my first big barra but let me tell you the threadfin salmon has to be the best saltwater fish ive ever eaten :) got mates who get regulary up here in the burrum heads area in small boats out from the creek mouths

Rhinocerus said:
Cant seem to upload photos from my phone but in 3 months holiday in Hervey Bay qld i have fished the urangan pier and caught the following on live bait herring....97cm Barra, 7lb threadfin salmon,6ft Dunbar(shovelnose),72cm flathead(and lost several metre ones)....11kg golden trevally and 4 others between 9kg and 5kg,9lb tarpon,more than 20 mackeral including school,spotted and broad bar up to 1.2m, 2x metre plus Hairtail (ribbon fish) and a number of different small sharks up to 6ft including black tip reef,hammerhead,school,cookie cutter shark and young lads there have pulled a few tigers this week between 14ft and 8ft,spanish mackeral and longtail bluefin and mac tuna ,great jetty to fish on! :D

It is a great pier to fish and good exercise with a 1km walk each way , will be fishing there tomorrow night for some squid , I caught my first Barra there 102cm 6 years ago it was hiding in the shadows of the pier lost about six lures trying to catch one ,was one day before the season started , there is a great variety fish to be caught there

ive seen the majority of squid there at the first lightpole after the construction around high tide mate but they are rather small compared to the ones back home where we,d use them whole live for snapper sharks and kingys :) night time down there is pretty quiet lately odd shovely or shark,big tigers and a few tailor and tarpon cheers Ryno

Latest posts