Need some "Tall Stories" from all the Fisherman on the forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin&Lee said:
Where's all the fish Wal?? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Col

You're not going to believe it Col. Left Canberra in bright sunshine at 6pm...got to Cooma and the wind stoked up to about 400 knots, with the blackest, darkest angriest clouds you ever saw. Being optimistic fishermen we pushed on, as you do, up to Providence Portal. :eek: By now it was already dark as the ace of spades, and the wildest thunderstorm imaginable lit up the sky above our heads. :( Kurt looked at me...then i looked at Kurt....and he said...Maccas' is lookin' good..!!! :| ....and guess what..???. 8.( we actually went there for a coffee on our way back. :( 5 hour drive and we never even took the fly Rods out of the case. 8.(

Will keep you informed on the next saga...with hopefully some what better news .Cheers Wal. :)

kemjak57 said:
This is a story of an outing in Weipa that went wrong. Two boats set out early to head up to a place called The Y. It was all going splendidly until the guy holding the Barra decided he was going to stand up and give his butt a rest from banging on the front. The tie down rope on the front of the boat was re-tied by one of the blokes in the other boat. As he was standing we hit a small chop from the other boat, the knot released, he fell back onto the two of us at the rear, we pushed him away, as we did the boat flicked slightly to one side. He fell back again, this time he snapped the tiller arm of and it jammed behind the back seat at a 45 degree angle at 3/4 throttle. The 3 of us got spat straight out, 2 of us one side and 1 the other. the guy who caused the fuss went the opposite to us. I went in and as I was under the water, said a little prayer and decided to swim up at as great an angle as I could to distance myself from the boat that was spinning out of controll on the surface. By this time the other boat had seen the commotion and was heading back. It took a little while for one of the guys to surface because he could hear the boat roaring around overhead. He finally did what I did and surfaced to be plucked up by the other boat, then Kyle, the guy on my side, then me (thats right leave the bloody boss till last).We then had to wait for about 30 minutes till the boat choked itself so we could board and assess the damage. Only last nights pizza was ruined and of course the tiller oh and a hugh amount of pride!! Not to be discouraged we threw a rope to the other boat and they towed us to the fishing spot. I must say ther were 3 very relieved and lucky guys who quietly fished the day away. The barra boy said that when he went into the water he felt the prop brush past his stomach as it went past. I think the prayer might have worked, Thank God. That water is full of Bull sharks not to mention crocs and we would have been in the widest part of the whole system.The moto, if it's got seats, sit on the bloody things.

Glad to hear that it all turned out OK...that's the last place I would want to take a swim....enough guys been taken by crocs at Wiepa already....If ever you should ask me to join you guys on a boating trip....please remind me to cordially decline...lol.Cheers Wal. :eek:

I ended driving the boat back to the boat ramp that day with the tiller on my lap as the throttle was still connected and I steered with the carry handle on the front of the motor. They say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". The only way we were stronger was the smell coming from our shorts :D All jokes aside it does make you more aware of safety.

I guess it's a lesson we should all learn from kem. Really easy to become complacent when you spend a lot of time in a boat and the old saying "it would never happen to me" fails everybody at some point. Hope it hasn't put anybody off from going back up again....Cheers Wal. :)

No mate we've got about 5 months work up there starting in April. Looking forward to it for a bit of consistent work and also for the fishing. The boys are keen and the fish are nervous. :) it's a good time for nice grunter and barra.

Mumbo Jumbo !!
There are SOME SERIOUSLY BIG JUMBO BLUEFIN being caught regularly here in southern Tas at the moment guys n gals ie; 80-130kgs
2 to 4 hr fights 'ARM WRENCHING'GUT BUSTING ,SORE KNEES all the good stuff !Here's a couple from last year two 80s and a 108kg
1368690679_imgp0169.jpg
;)

Some nice fishcakes in that lot mate. :eek: Might be a tad on the larger size for that fly rod of yours cormorant. :D Cheers Wal. :)

the duck said:
i got a murray cod one day in a deep waterhole in the murray it was so big that it had sunburn on its back and gravel rash on its stomach :cool: :cool: :cool: ;)

Hey the Duck,

Last time I went fishing for cod they were biting so hard we had to hide behind a tree to bait our hooks!

WalnLiz said:
has anybody got any simple but tasty recipes for these fish that can be cooked on a campfire in the gold fields. I'm a lousy cook....but i also hate can food when camping.....Cheers Wal :)

Wal it depends on what you like but if you like your fish clean and fresh then this is the best ive had. Catch your fish and chuck it straight onto the coals, dont scale it, gut it or anything, straight on the coals as it came out of the water. The scales protect the meat and the gut just shrinks up in its gut bag. Just dont over cook it. When its ready just pick it up with your shovel and put it on foil or a plate. Dust off the ash, peel back the skin and enjoy.

I used to fish down the shoalhaven a bit, its a great flatty and bream river. I dont take many pictures of the fish we get, probably should hey.

That certainly is a great way to do them. Was up at Wiepa a few years back and made friends with a local South Wiepa family (aboriginal). They invited me for a riverside BBQ and made a pit in the sand. Chucked heaps of driftwood in and got an amazing bed of coals going. They then put in a 6kg Barra and about a dozen Mud Crabs, covered them with sand, left them about 1/2 hour,then uncovered them again.

I was a bit skeptical as I don't like my fish "Gritty". They took the skin off, which was a great thick black sheet and I hesitantly picked some medallions off its flanks. To say I was amazed would be an understatement, as there was no "Grit" and the smoke / ash flavor was something else. The Crab was also up there with the best I've ever tasted..... as far as I'm concerned " Their Kitchen Rules ". :eek:

Cheers Wal. :)

not a big fish story but an amazing one

i took 4 year old to Brooklyn ( Hawksbury River north of Sydney )

we both tossed our lines in the water , i was holding my rod but he put his down on the jetty

Next minute Ka-TWANG and his whole fishing rod shot off from the jetty and disappeared across the water . we thought its gone . not much you can do

5 minutes later i thought i would pull mine up and check the bait and when i did , my hook was bare except it was wrapped around the handle of his reel.

So we picked up his rod again and wound it in , complete with the 2 kg jewfish that stole it in the first place

hows that for a fluke ?

:)

Horror story for anyone that fishes around Wollongong / Five islands

I was there in a tinny once , fine day , very very light breeze , 18 to 24 inches of gentle swell , we were on the drift near five islands

I looked behind me just in time to see not a big swell or wave , but a hole

rolling across towards us preceded by maybe a 2 foot swell was a "valley" about 4 - 5 metres deep , we dropped in to it and back up the other side and the swell returned to normal

how does a freak thing like that happen just out of the blue ?

scared the &$%# out of us.

I got a story, its true though and not a tall one. A mate of my father was fishing for trout about 40 years ago and he always checked the stomach contents of them when he caught one to see what they had been feeding on. This day when he did it he noticed amongst the bugs something shining, it turned out to be a little bit of flat gold about half a gram or a bit less. He caught it in the Jim Crow creek in Victoria where it ran through a goldfield area.
Dead set true. Trout love gold coloured lures so it makes sense that when the fish saw it, it snaffled it up. I always look in mine but to this day I just find bugs. :lol:

About 45 years ago I was fishing Oberon dam across the other side. I had a fly rod and a spinning rod loaded with a metal pegron minnow. I lay the spin stick down behind me couple of metres and was busily fly fishing when I felt the catch on something. It was on the side of a slope and I thought it was caught on tussock, so I really loaded they rod and forward cast whilst turning my head to look back.
Then WHACK.
The fly got hooked on the rod tip and the hook of the lure caught me in the lip. I had to cut the line. pack up and travel over 5 Ks of dirt road then another 10 Ks to Oberon Hospital.
They had to call the doc to get it out and on seeing it he said hysterically "I've cut plenty of fly's out of fishermen but never steel like this" and "have to go out the car and get the side cutters out of my tool box we don't have anything to cut heavy hooks here".

All fixed, went home to Bathurst where they were having a BBQ with all the relies. As I was coming down the driveway and as I was about to turn the corner I heard someone say "Where Andrew" and another say " Fishing and he probably hooked himself".

As I turned the corner they saw the puffed up lip they all bust into laughter. I was not impressed got paid out for months after that.

G'day

Not fair, but I've been a professional line fisherman for most my working life. 15 years skippering charter fishing vessels from snapper to marlin and too many years longlining. I dug through some old pics and picked a couple of fond ones
My old snapper grounds in Port Phillip Bay
1375531768_image.jpg

Moon Fish with nice Cookie Cutter shark wound
1375530536_image.jpg

Black Snapper/ Ray's Bream. Rare and the best eating fish in the sea. The crew ate them all, never sent one to market
1375531853_image.jpg

Swordfish barrel weighed 318kg (480 with head and guts) held the record at Sydney Fish Market for 7 years until my mate in the pic with me got a bigger one by 3kg :mad: sorry about the quality
1375530902_image.jpg

Southern Bluefin Tuna 241kg. Looped 2 fingers while handlining it and nearly lost them. Not the biggest fish but gave me a good scare (if the fingers don't come off you get pulled over the side and go down with the fish)
1375531225_image.jpg

The only pic I could find of a monster Mako with my mate Rojo hanging on it. He died last year while fishing in sheltered waters, a far cry from the mad sh#t we used to face offshore. Such is life
1375531506_image.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

caught this baby a couple years back while on a fishing charter in kakadu. its a jewfish that was caught using squid as bait on a reef located just outside the kakadu river systems.

1382318061_bigfish.jpg

My hubby caught a nice barra on the same trip

1382318089_barra.jpg

we also caught a few other smaller barra and a threadline salmon :)

caught this port jackson shark in sydney harbour (he was released)

1382318502_shark.jpg

my youngest daughters first fish :)

1382318523_first_fish.jpg

Latest posts