Need some "Tall Stories" from all the Fisherman on the forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I can't believe that all you guys on the Central Coast who swing the wand on the beach don't chuck a line in your spare time. Be good to get some "Tall"...and true stories of some of the one's which did and didn't get away. The Flatty in the pic went just over a metre and was caught in the Clyde River at Batemans Bay. She was released shortly after to go and make more baby flatties for next season.

Love to see some pics and stories from the rest of you guys.....cheers, Wal :)

1361061705_img_0005_598x800.jpg

While not quite as impressive as your Flathead Wal, I went out fishing with a friend of mine at Lostock Dam, all up I think we caught about 16 Bass in just over two hours. We released anything we caught.

Hey Nugget ...I'm envious of you guys up there....Bass are one of my fav. target species but ours down south are only tiddlers compared to up north. Need to drop into some of the impoundments up your way when i next travel up the coast.....Fly Rod is always packed in the Troopie....Good Bass mate..Cheers Wal. :)

Nice Flatty there Wal. Used to live at Vincentia, Jervis Bay and fished the Yellow Fin and Marlin runs each year. Not a real good story teller though.
Love the Clyde River. Did a week on a house boat on it.

Know Vincentia really well....spend a lot of time in St Georges Basin chucking plastics around. JB itself is probably the best fishing spot in all of N.S.W.and I'm sure if that was your base you would have heaps of stories on the beakies at the JB canyons...Damn good kingies around the tubes as well.....

Do you still wet a line up in that hunter region...??? or is there to many wineries causing distractions....lol...Cheers Wal. :)

Wow, genuine metre+ flathead are as rare as 100oz nuggets :cool:

Here's a couple of me
295388_2112483686314_3915368_n.jpg

37kg yellowfin tuna
132456_1666913307333_2644919_o.jpg

12kg Spanish Mackerel
67783_1571604804680_7928159_n.jpg

8kg Snapper
28408_1401214665033_498083_n.jpg

17kg Landbased Longtail Tuna

Done a bit of fishin in my time lol :D

Very impressive mate, those would feed me for a year, certainly puts my little Bass to shame :lol:

Nugget said:
Very impressive mate, those would feed me for a year, certainly puts my little Bass to shame :lol:

Sorry, how remiss of me, here have a Bass

308830_2160813814537_3492671_n.jpg

Some great photos and great fish Ben.
Wal I don't really fish much at all anymore. Certainly plenty of distractions about ;) and too many hobbies/interests.
Only recently sold all my big reels as they were never being used.

Fantastic to see some great fish being caught by the members.....has anybody got any simple but tasty recipes for these fish that can be cooked on a campfire in the gold fields. I'm a lousy cook....but i also hate can food when camping.....Cheers Wal :)

Had a great day fishing with my mate Chris in Port Phillip Bay last year.
After getting our bag of squid in 15mins, we headed to the channel. We dropped down the live squid and within that minute we had snapper after snapper.
At the time I would have said 7kg snapper, but now Id say 5kg!
1361529694_100_1065.jpg

Some awesome pics there lads,
I am into Bass fishing, usually go to the Clarence Gorge and also the Brisbane river, but at the moment the flooding of the rivers has certainly got rid of the Bass season for the rest of the year so to speak.
The wife just gave me permission to buy a Kayak for Bassin' a Viking Tempo "Fisherman" and have just put on a 50lb thrust Minn Kota and Lowrance sounder, those Bass and Flatties aint gonna be safe, I mainly catch and release.
Its also big enough to load up the banker and get to those inaccessable places out in the bush, might just get me a get little gravel patch down river to work.
Cheers
Brad...

Hey Wal There are some nice barra at The Palmer. They are very clean fish and love a lure. The best of both worlds Gold and Barra. Life's tough at the top.

Looks like i better make a slight detour on my next trip up to Wiepa....might have to pick your brains on where the Barra are hiding....are you using .." gold plated " lures...lol.... :)

No mate, the GMT isn't that good but I can give you some spots in Weipa if you like, we do quite a bit of work up there. I have a boat that is there all the time. If my workers can't go fishing I there could be a mutiny. It is a great spot.